Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Default scoping questions

Hello, just bought myself a new 7600 in 30-06 over the weekend, it currently has a crappy scope mounted on weaver bases with see through rings. I definitely want to upgrade the scope. I see that Al Flaherty’s has a special on a bushnell elite 4200 3-9 for $300. I am not in TO but they will ship, seems like a good deal.

Purpose of the gun will be moose hunting in thick northern Ontario woods and an Alberta elk hunt this fall.

Here are my questions:

1- elite 4200 vs 3200 what is the difference? Is it worth the extra money?

2 – See through mounts. I know a lot of people hate them. I fired the gun on the weekend and the only thing I don’t like about them is it really makes the scope stick out which I don’t like for handling/storage, as far as firing I did not find the position bad and having hunted in wet snow and rain before I like the option of having my iron sights. Are these see through mounts really as bad as some people think?

2- on my old 30-06 I have a 2-7 redfield I tube, made in colorado. I understand it was a very good scope in its day. My thinking is that scopes have come a long way in the past 30 years and I should upgrade. They don’t sell a 2-7 in the 4200 series, they do in the 3200 series. They have a 1.5-6 X36 in the 4200 but no deal offered on it and I am not sure who even carries them. Is a 3-9 needed for hunting in Alberta, I will be chasing elk in a month in the spirit river area. The only time I think I would ever have it cranked to 9 would be for sighting in or if a bull was kind enough to stand nice and still and wait for me at over 200 yards.

/thanks for you thoughts.

dave
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Ditch the see throughs, buy the 4200 cause it's a steal, and put it in some leupy/Burris/Redifield, 2 piece bases and rings.

The 4200's have better glass than the 3200's, and are tested to withstand something like 1000 cycles of 375 H&H recoil, while the 3200's are designed to withstand 100 or so strokes (might have the numbers wrong but the ratio is something like that)
Good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Dick pretty much summed it all up. Go with the 4200.
I honestly can't say I have ever seen them for such a good price. Possibly this is due to the fact they currently dont make a 3-9 anymore. The closest I could come up with is a 2.5-10

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
sheephunter

Ya...must be some old stock but still one heck of a deal. I'd order it today as they aren't making them any more and the new ones are close to double that price. Never heard of that store before but they sure seem to have some bargains. Their regular prices are high but their sale prices are incredible. I added it to my favourites.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM

I re read your first post, and have but one question about your close cover hunting.
Really close or kinda close.
If it the real close sort of stuff, get a 1.5-6 scope, you wont be under glassed for AB. with it and it will fit you needs for tight cover way better than a 3-9

There are no absolutes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM

That is just what I was thinking regarding the 1.5 to 6 but since it is $140 more I decided to order the 3-9. I really like the idea of a 1.5 to 6 in a 36mm tube, seems like an ideal setup. but the 3-9 shoudl be good as well. It is the really thick stuff that made me hesitate for a while but the prospect of a good deal sold me. The thick stuff makes me want to leave on the see through rings.

Dave
Old 08-20-2007, 04:09 PM

IMO see through are not condusive to any sort of accuracy.
The extra height of the scope results in bringing ones cheek too high off the comb of the stock.
If you are considering your scope as your primary sighting system and iron sights as back up or secondary sighting system, you have two options, either the 1.5-6 or perhaps these:
http://www.millettsights.com/images/...ILLETT_CAT.PDF
Page 11.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Good point on the Remington conversion. I hadn't thought of that.
Not to mention that most see through rings are not very sturdy, and don't hold zero as well as a a good low mount setup.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Dick, are you referring to the Quicjk release rings, I have been considering those. It also looks like they have a ring with a iron sight at the top (top left of page) I have never seen anything like this before and there is no description with it. Kinda reversing the idea of see through rings. I like the idea of QR mounts for flying and was planning on investigating when I can get to a decent hunting store. Looks like Lebaron makes a set of QR mounts as well. I am gonna have to think about those rings with the iron sights on top, neat idea.

Thanks

dave
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Dick, are you referring to the Quicjk release rings, I have been considering those. It also looks like they have a ring with a iron sight at the top (top left of page) I have never seen anything like this before and there is no description with it. Kinda reversing the idea of see through rings. I like the idea of QR mounts for flying and was planning on investigating when I can get to a decent hunting store. Looks like Lebaron makes a set of QR mounts as well. I am gonna have to think about those rings with the iron sights on top, neat idea.

Thanks

dave
I wouldn't worry about taking the scope on and off. get a good solid guncase for transport.
Zero it with a good set of mounts and be done with it.
I've hunted with a 4 and 6X scopes for years , no sweat even in the heaviest bush.
See thru mounts? GARBAGE!! period. Forgetaboutem!
Cat
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post

Thanks

dave
No the rings with the pistol type sights on top.
A way better way to have irons available for close stuff, especially if your scope is going to be your main sighting choice.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 AM

I Have have both the Elite 3200 and the Elite 4200 and the difference is that the
4200 is [B]fully[B] multicoated and the 3200 is just multicoated. You may notice a difference at dawn or dusk as the 4200 will appear brighter as it transmits light more efficiently.
If I could recommend the Leupold vari-x II it has much better eye relief and seems to have clearer optics. I got one brand new on EBAY Canada for $330.00CAD including shipping and tax and duties. I would recommend this scope to anyone. Especially since the price is so close to the Elite 4200.
There is of course the famous Leupold warranty and better resale value as well.
PM me if you want info on the EBAY supplier, he has plenty more.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 AM

I thought Ebay was not dealing in anything firearmsish any more.
but once looking they sure have lots of optics. hmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskog View Post
I Have have both the Elite 3200 and the Elite 4200 and the difference is that the
4200 is [B]fully[B] multicoated and the 3200 is just multicoated. You may notice a difference at dawn or dusk as the 4200 will appear brighter as it transmits light more efficiently.
If I could recommend the Leupold vari-x II it has much better eye relief and seems to have clearer optics. I got one brand new on EBAY Canada for $330.00CAD including shipping and tax and duties. I would recommend this scope to anyone. Especially since the price is so close to the Elite 4200.
There is of course the famous Leupold warranty and better resale value as well.
PM me if you want info on the EBAY supplier, he has plenty more.

There are no absolutes