Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Parallax Adjustment

I'm new to hunting and am only comfortable shooting 150-200 yards at the moment. Im looking at purchasing a new scope this year and would rather spend the money once, than have to buy another scope in the future if I am making longer shots.

So my big question is does parallax adjustment make that much of a difference for shots under 400 yards?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

On a hunting rifle and particularly in the ranges which you describe, I would recommend staying away from adjustable objectives. IMHO anyhow.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhonky View Post
I'm new to hunting and am only comfortable shooting 150-200 yards at the moment. Im looking at purchasing a new scope this year and would rather spend the money once, than have to buy another scope in the future if I am making longer shots.

So my big question is does parallax adjustment make that much of a difference for shots under 400 yards?
Here's a scenario for you....

Your stalking a green break between 2 fields, you flush out a real nice buck around 150 yards infront of you.... He dashes out into the field 50 yards then stops to give you the stink eye... You have 3 seconds to shoulder the rifle and get a shot off.... Now what yardage is your adjustable parallax set at?

Having more variables on a hunting rifle is not always a good thing...

If you like to post up nice and early with a bipod on an excellent vantage point where you can see the game before they see or wind you then it's quite the experiance to focus in on them and measure size with Mil's etc etc...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Parallax affects shots at ANY distance
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Yes parallax causes issues....does it cause enough to miss an animal? Perhaps....if I miss an animal parallax is the last thing I would point at as the cause.

I usually take shots at under 350yrds.....and 90 % of those shots are under 200 yards. I use a 4-12 x40 AO scope and usually what I shoot drops. I can't say I have ever adjusted the AO.....in the heat of the moment I put up the crosshairs identify and squeeze the trigger.

Maybe I am doing it wrong but.....it works

I probably don't need a scope with an AO but it likely hasn't helped or hindered me to this point.

LC
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM

I just purchased a Vortex with parallax adjustment which I plan to use on my Remington 5R. But I intend to double duty with this rifle for hunting and target shooting.

Would I monkey with the parallax while hunting? Not likely no..
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM

If you don't have a scope adjustable for parallax, you will never have the opportunity to make the choice. If your scope has PA, then you can choose to leave it set (say 100M because that is the distance - plus or minus 50M - that hunters would likely shoot when walking/stalking). However, when sitting for an "ambush", most hunters would range various distances for potential shots and be ready to dial as game appears.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Gone Hunting

I like to have this option called often side focus.

Normally my scope is set so I am 3" high at 100 y and parallax is set at 100.
I am good to 300 y without any adjustment.

When shooting WT doe at 500 y I had time to use rangefinder, set magnification to 18, set Ballistic Turret to 500 y, fine tune side focus - parallax adjustment and harvested her with one shot. Prone of the bipod.

But this feature almost got me in big trouble when after shooting white wolf at 320m in the neck big Black Bear tried to take it at 10 y.... my scope was cranked at max 14 power and Adjustable Objective was set to 300 so it took what seemed like forever to crank power down and Adjust Objective to focus at this distance.

I was by the wolf and arrow points to bear.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY