Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Cleaning my .17 hmr without a bore guide

I want to clean my Browning T-bolt but can't find a bore guide to do it properly. I was thinking of trying to do it from the muzzle end so that I can control the rod somewhat but I don't like the idea of pushing all that crap into the magazine area. Is there a better way of doing this?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 PM

I have the same problem & was thinking of making a guide from an old cartridge & some tubing to get through the action.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 PM

Maybe order one from Sinclair. I just bought a bore guide for my Savage 17 hmr'ss from P&D in dewey brand....works like a charm.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks bigbore I will look into that. How often do you clean your 17 hmr? I bought my gun second hand so I don't know how many rounds have been through it. There are a lot of people say not to clean it until the accuracy falls off but not knowing I think I will clean it and start from scratch just for my own peace of mind.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 PM

My BRJ I bought new... and the FVSS i bought used.. I just am scoping the FVSS and have cleaned it with wipeout. I cleaned my brand new one from all the factory oils etc . So far Ive cleaned the BRJ once after 150 rounds... The accuracy fell off slightly. So i cleaned it up. I got a bore guide from Sinclair for my MKII .22lr....and it didnt take that long and was worth the wait.

Also... Back Country Supplies in Camrose can get stuff from Sinclair/Brownells ... so supply her with an item/product number and she just may be able to get it for you.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 PM

Thanks bigbore. I am going to prophet river tomorrow to see if they can get it. If i can't get it in town i will give back country a call.