Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Default what do your guns like? 270 and 7mm-08

Ok guys, we're just looking for personal experiences with what bullets your gun likes for loads in the Tikka 270 and Tikka 7mm-08. Picking them up this week along with different load sizes and brands but it's always nice to hear personal reviews rather than what the store is trying to sell that week for factory loads. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 PM

I been shooting a Browning Stainless Stalker .270 for about 14 yrs. For hand loads my favorite load to date has been 150 gr Hornady Interbond with 53 gr of IMR 4831, but it shoots very well with any Flat base 150 gr bullet, consistently under 1" at 100m. Speer Grand Slams shoot very well also, I have shot some factory ammo and was very impressed with Federal, and Remington. I just worked out a load for the Barnes TSX 150gr bullets so will have to wait until after this fall to see how I like them. I should also mention that I have only used handloads when big game hunting, and they have nocked over everything that I have connected with. I say use what works well with your rifle and utilize good shot placement. good luck
Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM
-NDN-

our .270's both like Fusion 130 gr ammo more than the rest, but then again i could buy another .270 and it might not like it.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Default 270 Loads

El cheapo Federal Classics in 130 work very well in wifes 270. Winchesters also worked well. Elites. Try the el cheapos as they are around $20 a box and if they work, consider yourself good to go and work on better bullets as you get more practice and of course the affordability. Its also a cheaper way to get brass as no doubt you two will be reloading someday. The Federal el cheapos with proper placement will do the job just as well as more expensive shells. Can't help you on the 08. If Danni's shooting the 270 consider a Limbsaver as it helped the wife immensely. It would probably be good on the 08 as well and maybe someone else can help you. This Tikka also likes 150 grain in handloads and I didn't have good luck with what 150 factory I tried. Go figure. Quite a few stores have the Federals on cheap right now. Put the old arm bar on whoever is selling you the guns. Set a price, practice, find out whats working and go back and grab a few boxes of what works. Hope this helps and best wishes for the 15th as Dustin sure can't back out now.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 PM

You'll find out as you try a range of different ammo and manufacturer types. Some guns aren't picky at all, and others sure can be. My 270 has always been a a fan of Sierra Game King BTSP (boat tail soft points) and NP nosler partitions.

A couple of good web links with info on ammo, as well as programs you can download and use to look at ballistics etc for factory ammo based on a certain barrel length etc. are:

http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?br=1

http://www.remington.com/

Also I'm no expert on shooting (there are some very knowledgeable people on this board ie Dick284 for one) but when sighting in you'll want to try and eliminate as much of the human factor as possible. When you go to the range you'll want to be sure to use good solid benches and also use some form of a rifle rest. Once your guns are sighted in you'll want to shoot from a variety of field type positions minus the rest - but use it while trying to get things sighted in.
I think you are both new to rifle hunting so if you can find it a great and easy read is "Shots at Big Game - How To Shoot A Rifle Accurately Under Hunting Conditions" by Craig Boddington.
Good luck.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 09-02-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Test drive, evaluate, and stick with it. That's what works every time.
What works in buddies may shoot terrible in yours, so go buy what is readily available on a day to day basis. Go to the range, and shoot for groups. The load that shoots the best over, say 3, 3 shot groups is your go to loading.
Do not try and make a choice based on a single group.

I'm sorry if you were looking for a short cut to success, but like my sig line says.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM

Thx guys. Dick - nope not looking for a shortcut at all. Just looking for reviews and personal experiences. We plan on doing just what you described regardless of what was recommended but it's nice to hear what's popular, as there tends to be a reason for something being that way.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRHunter View Post
Thx guys. Dick - nope not looking for a shortcut at all. Just looking for reviews and personal experiences. We plan on doing just what you described regardless of what was recommended but it's nice to hear what's popular, as there tends to be a reason for something being that way.
Refreshing to here CBR.
I hope my post did'nt come off too preacher like. As I re read it, I saw perhaps it was a bit on the dry side.
But I also knew you two were kinda new at this game.
I dont think there are too many bad loads for game, all will do it if you do your part. I might suggest however, if horrific entrance wounds are a bit of a turn off, shying away from Ballistic Tip bullets might be adviseable.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

Does anyone have anything to say about Swift Siroccos?

Jamie
Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 AM
-NDN-

lol
Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Jamie
I use to shoot them out of 7mm mag, they were very accurate, fast but if I shot a deer under 100 yrds it made such a mess of them.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:24 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
They shoot patterns instead of groups in my rifles,and the copper fouling is extreme.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Default 270

CBR. I forgot, but the wife also used the reduced load Remingtons and her first shot with one cut the X in the centre of the bull. She will be hunting deer with them but will take the hit with the handloads on Elk. The reduced loads certainly gave her confidence. If the 08 is for Danni, you probably won't have as much jump with the 08 shell. Anyway, as Dick says and you acknowlege, practice and find out what works. If the cheaper ones work well, practice with them and use better ones for hunting. Also, some days you will seem to have better results than others. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM

My .270 likes federal fusion and nosler partitions, both in 130 gr, I have always had good luck with federal, but that is fairly limited experiance.

My buddy bought a remington 7mm-08 last year and it seems to like 140gr noslers, if I remember right.

I second the limbsaver idea even if this is Dustins rifle, I put one on my rifle, and it seems to have helped my flinch. I found mine at Russells in Calgary.

Soooo, what made you decide on tikas??? Lots of tika fan around here that is for sure, man are they smooooth

What did you decide for scopes??

As much as I wish sometimes that my wife hunted to I could not imagine the hit to the wallet buying 2 rifles, scopes, boots, camo.....

Good Luck with your bullet testing, BTW if you are members of sarcee fish and game thier rifle sight-in day is next Tues, sept 11 here in Calgary, just a thought.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
BTW if you are members of sarcee fish and game thier rifle sight-in day is next Tues, sept 11 here in Calgary, just a thought.
Where is that being held?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Mine grouped well with winchester 130 gr ballistic silvertips, federals with the tsx i believe it was 130 also?...it hated the hornady light mag stuff...and so did i due to the recoil but the groups were giant....and it was so-so with the winchester 150 gr xp3's...seems to like the 130 gr stuff at standard velocity...and was real consistant with the 130 gr fusion so at 20 bucks a box its the winner fo me.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-05-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Federal HE Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in 140gr. 270,if you can find them.They didn't group as good as some of the others out of my gun but the proven down range performance is my deciding factor.Also I don't shoot as much as I should any more and I'm positive that both my rifle and loads out shoot me.