Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
RyanGSP

Default FAC Sendaway

I did my FAC course and it came with some PAL registry as well. Do we still need to do the PAL or is it gone yet? Also how do I just send away for my FAC and not the PAL? Do I just send away the FAC form with my picture?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Dylan

They stopped issuing FAC's in approximately 1998 or so. I suggest you check out the Canadian Firearms Centre at www.cfc.gc.ca for some helpful information. Particularly you should determine if you want a full PAL or if a POL will suffice.

There's alot of info on there that'll be easier than anyone trying to explain it on the board.

Good luck with it, and any specific questions I'm sure myself and/or other board members will be able and willing to answer.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Brady

Is there such a thing as a POL? I thought they abolished it and went with the PAL only. This is upon renewing that is.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Scott N

You're right Brady, it's not possible to get a POL anymore.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:51 AM
Dylan

Default Lookee there!

www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_f...ault_e.asp
Second paragraph, Brady paint me incorrect.

You're are absolutely right, sorry for the confusion gentlemen.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:34 PM
WCTHEMI

Default Re: Lookee there!

Even if you still could get a POL why would you? Not being able to buy anymore guns would suck.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
PAL

Default PAL

I hope yours goes smoother then mine did.It took 145 days to process and they never phoned me once to tell me if there was anything wrong.I phoned three times and everytime they told they had a problem scanning the pic I sent.I sent the exact same pic they used when I got my POL years ago.It has to go.Oh yeah and they took my cheque,I heard of quite a few people getting their money back since the new gov't has been in.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
chef

Default Re: PAL

pol,s are still being extended or renewed mine was extended till 2009 and my buddies ran out in may and they send him a sticker for his till 2009 as well .although it is written its not always so but all pol owners will eventually have to apply for pal.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:24 PM
osterb

Default Re: PAL

If a pole expires and you haven't renewed it you need to take the test and obtain a P.A.L
Old 01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
PAL renewa

Default PAL renewal fee refund?

I renewed my PAL in June, 2006. I sent them my visa # for the $60 or $80 renewal fee (I forget how much it was). They sent me my new card within about 60 days. Shouldnt I be getting a refund? I also heard that some have gotten theirs. I wouldnt have paid the fee at the time but I didnt want to risk not getting my card renewed.
kidd
Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
carc

Default Re: PAL renewal fee refund?

I renewed mine last year and got a refund back It was about 6 months later if memory serves me right
Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 AM

I had an FAC which then turned into the POL and was sent a renewal sticker to '09 as well. Then in the spring of this year I took the Firearms course and sent away for my PAL. It's been 120 days now and when checking on the Firearms site it says it's gone through initial processing. I emailed them and they said to wait a couple of more weeks. And I thought the wait at Tim Horton's was bad. I have my eye on a sweet 20Ga that I'd like to use this fall. Guess i'll have to have someone else buy it and then buy it from them. How crazy.

SM
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM

New applicants are being screened more thouroughly than ever before.
Expect that you PAL is gonna take a while.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Not sure what the FAC you guys are talking about? I have a PAL who is a POL (from Warsaw). His name is Walter but he is not a POL vaulter.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Duffy....

Now that was funny.....best laugh so far this afternoon....
Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 PM

(posted in another thread but thought it would be good here too )

I had my FAC and then got the POL (dumb) and decided a year ago I wanted to buy a new shotgun. So I took the course from AHEIA and submitted my PAL license papers. They received the paperwork on May 1, 2007. Waited...waited.... waited some more. Checked status on line and said it was still in the initial process. So I called today (3 months and 30 days later) and spoke to someone on the 1800 #. They said they would forward an email request to the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) in Alberta to review and find out what was holding it up. Great!. So I check tonight on line and sure enough, it's being sent out in the next two weeks. So... I would encourage anyone who's waited more than a couple of months (even though the max is supposed to be 45 days) to call the CAFC and get your file dusted off and sent to you.

Happy hunting! Now off to look for that new shotgun.

S