Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 AM

Default The answers to the questions

Since TJ's article, and all the accounts filed on here about how I do at the Rifle Rodeo's, I've been getting quite a few how to, or how do I questions about getting better at shooting, etc. etc.

Well I'll try and give answers in bulk here:

Q. How do I get better at off hand shooting?
A. Practice

Q. What tips or techniques do you have?
A. A predicatable, consistant loading, in a decently accurate rifle, and more practice

Q. What caliber should I use if I want to get into Rifle Rodeo's?
A. Any caliber you are comfortable with. As long as it is Alberta big game legal. Keep in mind you dont want something that is gonna break the bank, to buy or reload for, since your going to spend lots of time practicing.

Hmmm.
I see a trend.

Practice Practice, Practice.

Ask yourself this, how much time do you spend at the range or in a place you like to shoot?

How much time do you spend there? A couple hours, 1/2 a day, all day?

When you go to your shooting place how many rifles do you take?

I take upwards of 6 usually, something no less than 3, this allows you to shoot all of them in sequence, and still not get things all heated up. Yes .22's count.

How much do you shoot?
I dont shoot like I used to, before marriage and family tamed things down it was'nt un common to see me at the range no less than twice a week. Nowadays it's more like twice a month on average. Summer winter or early fall. Then about 3000rounds/year. Now maybe 400 to 600 rounds/year.

How much time do you spend off the bench?
Once I've evaluated a loading, and prooved it consistant, I get off the bench and onto my hind legs, and shoot, at distances of 200 and 350yds. Steel is nice because you know immediatly if the shots are hitting.

It all boils down to this.
If you want to get better, you have to put forth the effort. There is no quick easy, microwaveable recipie to success. None that I've found anyways.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 AM

Sooo, how is your irons shooting coming along?
Enquiring mindds up here want to know .
Have you got it out yet, or are we going to have to doa "rip down to Drayton and crack off a load/ zero" thing before ponoka?
( I think I need to adjust your sights)
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-25-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:39 AM

While I feel unworthy to post to this thread (I consider myself a good hunter rather than a great shot - there can be a big difference), I echo the importance of practice. Continued and regular practice will also expose the effect of external and internal variables on your accuracy. Understanding the effect of variables (wind, temperature, humidity, elevation, etc.) will go a long way towards consistency.

It's also important to note, that as shooters we have "off" days. If you don't shoot regularly and you are having an off day when down at the range you may be dismissing some very accurate loads. When I was working up loads, I would evaluate the results over 4 sessions. I would reload 20 cartridges per load, and shoot 5 of that particular load per session, shooting a total of 4 or 5 loads (20 - 25 cartridges) per session per rifle giving the barrel proper time to cool between shots. I also applied external variable information to the targets for future reference.

Having an "off" day was not as obvious as I would have thought, but drawing out the sessions allowed me to recognize shooter challenges vs. reload challenges. Regards, Mike
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 AM

One thing that Dick and I ( and many others ) agree on, is that zeroing a rifle is different from practice.
Zeroing is best done when conditiions are perfect, ie: no wind, constant light, etc.
Practice must be done under all conditions.
I have talked to many fellas and asked them " I'm ready to rock, when are you going to the range?"
I often get " Naw, it''s too windy/wet/cold" etc.
BIG mistake! if you are going to practice shooting, be it for competition or hunting, IMHO you must practice during the conditions that you will be up against , and that is all of them.

Most matches get well underway once the sun is up, then the wind and mirage start up, and it all goes to hell in a handcart once the rain comes!
Cat
Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Sooo, how is your irons shooting coming along?
Enquiring mindds up here want to know .
Have you got it out yet, or are we going to have to doa "rip down to Drayton and crack off a load/ zero" thing before ponoka?
( I think I need to adjust your sights)
Cat

Not worth a darn.
I'm in the middle of getting a garage built, on standby, and such.
I'm gonna make an effort to get the irons rifle to the range next week.
If that goes up in smoke I'll likely just bring along 'Ol reliable.(#4 mk1*)

There are no absolutes
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Bring the rig to ponokka, we cann zero it after the day's shoot on saturday evening.
Everythiing will be good to go.
I gave you the basic come ups for the sights , didn't I?
if you can, get it zeroed for 170 yards and hold Kentucky windage.
Long shot is close to 300....
Clint and I had a good practice session last night, but I have to do soeemthing about the trolls
( beavers) under our bridge SOON!
The one side abouttment is starting to sink!
Cat
Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 AM

No come ups.
And I'm only gonna shoot Saturday. Since the Agg is based on the first go round with irons, and a scoped rifle.
I'm also in the midst of building a garage remember.

I'll PM you Dave.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-25-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
No come ups.
And I'm only gonna shoot Saturday. Since the Agg is based on the first go round with irons, and a scoped rifle.
I'm also in the midst of building a garage remember.

I'll PM you Dave.
CRAP!
Okay, 'll get the ccome ups out of the log book and we can go from there.
The zeros are almost EXACTLY the same as Clint's P14, so you should be okay.
Cat
Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

Kinda like the old story

How do you get to Carnegie Hall

Answer.. Practice, Practice, Practice

I don't feel I have any natural ability in Trap or Golf. But if I work hard it, I become acceptable. But I stop practising... BOOM.. Game over.
My Brother has the ability to come out to the gun club pick any gun of the rack and shoot 22-23. Now that is someone if they practiced would or could be a BIG DOG.
I doubt I will ever become a "AAA" or "AA" shooter in trap, no matter how much I practice. I can and have beat those guys, but consistency is the key.
Its all about the average.

On another note, how much do rifle shooters work on visualization and other self mind games? I found it helped me.

Jamie
Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Visualization is part of the make up af a shot sequencee.
the thing about timed fire events like rifle rodeo is that that part of the shot can is done, but very rarely is consciously by most - that is the difference.
I do a few other things when I am really going hard into the accuracy thing as well, but my biggest problem these days is outside disctractions ( work mostly) that is a constant thing at the back of my mind, and it cannot be ignored because of the circumstances.
Cat