Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Curious... what have I got here?

My mother-in-law just gave my son an old gun belonging to his now deceased grandfather. Doubt we will ever actually use it for hunting, but it's a nice keepsake. I'm sure millions were made, it's nothing special, but still, I'm curious what anyone can tell me about it.

It's a 303. on the top of the barrel it says " Hogswell & Harrison Ltd. 168 Piccadily London" (first word might be Cogswell or something similar. First letter is hard to read). On the left side it has two identical insignias with a crown on top of "GRI" with two crossed flags below, and a "P" below that. On the right side it says England 53135 (twice), more numbers I can't read, and
"18:5 tons" There is also a "U" on the front of the bolt. There is a band that goes around the rifle at the trigger, making it appear as the stock is actually two piece. On that band is stamped "R.H.I. 1942 No.1 Mk. III" (maybe A.H.I.)It has iron sights including a rear one that flips up quite high and is adjustable for range and windage apparently. a rail has been added for a scope later. It has a military looking detachable magazine that is angled. Safety (now gone) was on the left side. The stock looks much newer and not military. It has a black forend with white spacer, checkering, Monte carlo style, a red rubber recoil pad, etc.

Also with it came an old scope that looks to have been gloss black eons ago but looks like it's been buffed with steel wool! LOL All it has on it is "Weaver K4E USA". There is also a small bag of shells. Some appear to be softpoints with "Imperial British 303" on the bottom. Others look more like FMJ and have "1944 DI Z" stamped on the bottom.

What ya know about any of this? I take it that I should take it to a gunsmith before attempting to fire it (and with new ammo). Just sort of interesting.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Some Info for you

Ok so I am a little bored and decided to look some of this up for you!

It is "Cogswell & Harrison" - a very old gunmaker in London. I believe 168 Piccadilly was their address. There is a book written on the guns they produced. You can search for their name on the net to find it.

GRI stands for Georgious Rex, Imperator denoting the rifle was made during the British Indian Empire

RHI (are you sure it's not RFI?) RFI stands for Rifle Factory, Ishapore denoting the rifle was made after the partition of India in 1947. Could it be that the rifle was reserviced at that time or that piece is not original?

Try this website for most of the info I just gave you -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

The 1944 DI Z headstamp stands for Indian Government Ammunition Factory, Dum Dum, Calcutta, India. This was manufactured for the British and Indian army in India. The 'Z' refers to graphite glazed nitro-cellulose propellant.

This is from this website -

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

Maybe someone else can add to this for you
Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 AM

Yup, A No.1 Enfiled by Cogswell and harrison.
The K4 is liklely serviceable, but I would shoot it with the irons.
It no doubt is a very good moose and deer rifle.
maybe get a 'smith to check the headspace before you firre it.
Cat
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 PM

DI Z 1944
DI.. Defence Industries (CIL/IVI)
Z.. designates Nitrocelluslose powder, not cordite(IMR 3031)
1944.. year of manuf.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
DI Z 1944
DI.. Defence Industries (CIL/IVI)
Z.. designates Nitrocelluslose powder, not cordite(IMR 3031)
1944.. year of manuf.
So it's 63 year old ammo... dare I actually shoot it?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Hell ya.
It's Canadian made and if my memory is'nt failing me it is'nt corrosive primed, check with Catnthehat about that.

I would be pre dispossed to chaeck about collectability of the ammo, someone might just pay you a mint for it, but on that I'm only speculating.

I'd throw a line out on Canadiangunnutz about the collectability.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM

heck, shoot the stuff!
I've shot ammo at least as old , and it waas accurate and safe.
if you are at all wooried, clean it right after.

I'd clean it with regular stuff like hoppes, then run some sop and water soaked patches into it, then G96 or some other such oil.
Cat