Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Question Rifle Cleaning Questions

I am curious what others to to clean your rifle after a deer hunt where you fire a single shot. I have a method of cleaning the rifle after multiple firings but it seems a bit much for one round.I have read that over cleaning can destroy a barrel and want to pass my rifles down to my kids. I want to do what's best for the longevity of my rifles and am concerned that my method might do more harm then good when the rifle has fired only one or two rounds.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM

I don't see the point in cleaning it after one or two shots, unless there was a reason to clean it i.e. moisture from rain / snow down the bore.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Proper cleaning will not damage your rifle. If you are careless and nick the crown / scratch the bore, etc. it will have a bad effect regardless of whether the cleaning occurs after the first, or 30th shot. IMO a rifle should be cleaned, then finished with a final oil patch if it is going to be left unfired for more than a few days, regardless of the number of rounds fired. I have few barrels that have been cleaned close to a hundred times and they continue to give me decent groups.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM

I have the bore guide,dewey rods, have a routine I follow and take great care cleaning my rifles. I would venture to guess that it would only take me 20 minutes to clean my rifle so it's cheap insurance even if fired once or twice. Keeping the barrel oiled should be done when storing for any length of time and was something I didn't consider.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Another thing to consider is whether or not your rifle has a different point of impact after you clean it than it does with a fouled bore.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I have the bore guide,dewey rods, have a routine I follow and take great care cleaning my rifles. I would venture to guess that it would only take me 20 minutes to clean my rifle so it's cheap insurance even if fired once or twice. Keeping the barrel oiled should be done when storing for any length of time and was something I didn't consider.
Dewey is definitely the way to go. I make a cleaning kit for each one of my rifles with their stuff.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM

I don't usually clean mine after one round down the pipe. If it somehow got wet, muddy, frosty, etc. then I would run an oily patch down the barrel and clean up the outside. I save deep cleanings for after a range day or when I notice a widening of groups.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I don't see the point in cleaning it after one or two shots, unless there was a reason to clean it i.e. moisture from rain / snow down the bore.
This is what I do after every season and on a fairly regular basis. Mostly what it entails is just an oiled patch down the barrel and a rub with oil on all metal.