Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Default Do You Need to Apply for ATTs For New Guns if You Have an LTATT?

I just bought my 2nd handgun and I'm picking it up in a few days. Was on the phone with the CFO earlier and they said that my previous LTATT covers this gun too, but that they would email me the ATT

It's been a few hours and I've received no email, but it begs the question, why would I need an ATT anyway? If the LTATT is a cover-all then isn't that it?

I've Googled LTATT and multiple guns but I haven't found anything that answers the question.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Yes, even if you buy it from the shooting club you normally attend.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM

From what I know it depends on what your ltatt states on it, some say all registered to listed address, and I've seen one that had two specific handguns on it and that's all it said.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM

I just looked at my LTATT again; it just says "Authorization to Transport Restricted or Prohibited Firearms". It doesn't name the specific gun or guns that I'm allowed to transport.

Looked at my first ATT as well and it does name the particular transfer reference that referred to that gun. Mind you the ATT and the LTATT came together in the same email

So...I'm authorized to transport firearms (LTATT)...and the gun is legally mine...do I still need an ATT? This is confusing.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Your LTATT covers you transporting the firearms from your home to the range/gunsmith/border crossings but you do still require a STATT which will cover you transporting the firearm from the store to your home. This is how the Alberta CFO explained it to me.

Once you get the firearm home it then falls under your LTATT.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM

Weird. Ok then, if I don't receive the STATT soon I'll call them again. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Your first purchase ATT was likely only valid for one day.....the day you took your firearm home. LTATT used to be good for 10 years now it seems that 5 is the norm and they are all changing to expire on your b-day along with your RPAL.

If you have a valid LTATT then when you do a transfer registration ask the CFC representative if you are covered under that or not.

LC
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM

What if you pick the gun up at a range or gunsmith? How does that effect the ATT?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
What if you pick the gun up at a range or gunsmith? How does that effect the ATT?
Then they will grant you a temporary ATT valid for one day between certain hours that shows the address to and from which the firearm will be travelling.

LC
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Then they will grant you a temporary ATT valid for one day between certain hours that shows the address to and from which the firearm will be travelling.

LC
Even if you already have a LTATT? Seems like an exercise in futility, but we are talking about the government.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 PM

One more question. The first time I got emailed a "Transfer Notification" as well. This time they didn't bother. Will I need one or will the store (Calgary Shooting Centre) just look it up?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:

LC
X2.

I was told I need to have the temporary ATT when initially picking up a restricted but once it reaches my home it then falls under my LTATT.
They only grant the LTATT's for 5 years now, generally they expire at the same time as your PAL.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM

I've found that exact situation absurd. You can have a LTATT and a bunch of restricted firearms already at home, then they make you wait for the STATT to pick up the new toy at the vendor. But if you get it mailed to your house there's no such requirement..... and all along it's being handled by assorted postal workers ?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Well, they need a way to continue to justify their jobs. I was told I'd need a STATT to pickup a new restricted at the post office if I missed the delivery driver as well...quite the system we've got...especially when you look at just how frequently mail seems to "go missing" or arrives a month late, opened, and read in the case of a few magazine subscriptions of mine.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM

I just order my restricteds online, they come in the mail and I pick them up, never bothered to get a short term ATT, if you pick it up at a store they won't release the firearm unless you have a short term
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM

If I pick-up a gun at a smith or a range I won't ask for another ATT. I already have one that says I can transport to/from these locations.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Even if you already have a LTATT? Seems like an exercise in futility, but we are talking about the government.
Yes you will need one even if you pick it up from your gun store / gun smith. Waste of time and money, IE. Gov't.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKing View Post
Yes you will need one even if you pick it up from your gun store / gun smith. Waste of time and money, IE. Gov't.
Does your ATT not allow you to transport a firearm to/from a gunsmith?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Does your ATT not allow you to transport a firearm to/from a gunsmith?
But of course it does. But not a gun you are purchasing from the same store. I don't make the rules, I just follow them and laugh from time to time.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
But of course it does. But not a gun you are purchasing from the same store. I don't make the rules, I just follow them and laugh from time to time.
What difference does it make? The ATT is not attributed to any specific gun. Just imagine being stopped on the way from the gunsmith to your house and asked to produce at ATT.......however remote this scenario is........so you show your ATT. You are making this into something it isn't. In fact, a good place to swap guns is at ranges...........you are covered by your existing ATT.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM

Like I said, I don't make the rules. I am not making this anything. Go to your local store, buy a restricted gun and tell them your ATT will cover you and you will be taking it home. You won't until they contact the CFO and get you a short term transfer.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I don't make the rules. I am not making this anything. Go to your local store, buy a restricted gun and tell them your ATT will cover you and you will be taking it home. You won't until they contact the CFO and get you a short term transfer.
You know we are not talking about a store. Don't change it now.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
What difference does it make? The ATT is not attributed to any specific gun. Just imagine being stopped on the way from the gunsmith to your house and asked to produce at ATT.......however remote this scenario is........so you show your ATT. You are making this into something it isn't. In fact, a good place to swap guns is at ranges...........you are covered by your existing ATT.
You still need a valid registration card to go along with the restricted firearm....without that the ATT or LTATT is of no consequence.

I would imagine the CFC would not issue the registration card for the firearm in your name without granting an STATT first.

I hope you weren't one of the guys who burned all of his registration cards when the long gun registry was shut down.....several guys had their tails between their legs going back to the CFC to get new cards for their restricted firearms.

LC
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
You know we are not talking about a store. Don't change it now.

I was and so was the OP. Do what you want with your permits. Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You still need a valid registration card to go along with the restricted firearm....without that the ATT or LTATT is of no consequence.

I would imagine the CFC would not issue the registration card for the firearm in your name without granting an STATT first.

I hope you weren't one of the guys who burned all of his registration cards when the long gun registry was shut down.....several guys had their tails between their legs going back to the CFC to get new cards for their restricted firearms.

LC
A statt is not issued with a registration. A firearm registration stands alone. You can buy a restricted firearm on line, or buy one off any licensed person and the registration will come through sans a statt. It can be shipped by mail direct to your house or for pickup at a post office. If it is shipped direct to your house a statt is never issued. If it is held for pickup at a post office then by law you must get a statt. Why do you think I burned anything?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM

The OP question was solved at post #5
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
A statt is not issued with a registration. A firearm registration stands alone. You can buy a restricted firearm on line, or buy one off any licensed person and the registration will come through sans a statt. It can be shipped by mail direct to your house or for pickup at a post office. If it is shipped direct to your house a statt is never issued. If it is held for pickup at a post office then by law you must get a statt. Why do you think I burned anything?

If you TRANSPORT from a store or range or private residence which is point of purchase the law requires you have a STATT.....if you have it shipped to your home, there is not transport taking place, so no STATT required.

I don't think you burned anything, just pointing out some did. In order to have a restricted in your possession legally you must hold an applicable registration certificate for that firearm on your person is my understanding.

I don't make the rules I just follow them .....no matter how silly they seem.

LC
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Weird. Ok then, if I don't receive the STATT soon I'll call them again. Thanks.
You can actually call the ladies at the AB CFOs office and request one and have it emailed to you...generally you'll have it the same day that way. Just print it out and you're good to go.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've found that exact situation absurd. You can have a LTATT and a bunch of restricted firearms already at home, then they make you wait for the STATT to pick up the new toy at the vendor. But if you get it mailed to your house there's no such requirement..... and all along it's being handled by assorted postal workers ?
And sometimes they leave it on your door step, and other times they give it to anyone who is home, or let you just go to the post office to pick it up and carry it through the mall.

My wife went to the post office to pick up a package, and it happened to be a pistol I had ordered. It was shipped in a regular paper bubble wrapper, and the barrel had poked through the paper. She carried it around in her purse for the day while shopping. Neither of us knew it was coming to the post office that day. Could have turned out very bad for us had anyone noticed it sticking out of her purse like that. The ATT arrived about two days later to our mailbox.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Just called the CFO again. Looks like my paperwork got stuck in the mailbox yesterday, but I've got it now

Looking forward to shooting some 22s.