Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Default Using match bullets for hunting...

Be honest, how many of you guys have hunted or do hunt with match bullets and how did they work?

I have only used the 52gr A-Max for coyotes and they work great. I have done some reading on Sierra match kings and although they are not for hunting seems like quite a few folks use them for deer.

Just curious if any of you have real world reports....are the bullets too frangible? Or do they perform like a VLD on game.

LC
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM

I have used the matchking and amax for coyotes out of my 223. But only bergers on large game.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Sierra 52 gr. hpbt match. Fur friendly, grave yard dead coyotes

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Be honest, how many of you guys have hunted or do hunt with match bullets and how did they work?

I have only used the 52gr A-Max for coyotes and they work great. I have done some reading on Sierra match kings and although they are not for hunting seems like quite a few folks use them for deer.

Just curious if any of you have real world reports....are the bullets too frangible? Or do they perform like a VLD on game.

LC
With so many quality hunting bullets available it's beyond me why you would use target bullets on big game, coyotes,gophers and other vermin excluded. Sierra gamekings, Nosler bt, Hornady sst and interlock Just to name a few for you anti mono metal guys. They are cheap to shoot and with the amount of them out there surely you can find one that will work for you. Sierra and others specifically state that target bullets are not recomended for hunting...Probably a reason for that.

Last edited by whitetailhntr; 03-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
With so many quality hunting bullets available it's beyond me why you would use target bullets on big game, coyotes,gophers and other vermin excluded. Sierra gamekings, Nosler bt, Hornady sst and interlock Just to name a few for you anti mono metal guys. They are cheap to shoot and with the amount of them out there surely you can find one that will work for you. Sierra and others specifically state that terget bullets are not recomended for hunting...Probably a reason for that.
I agree, was curious if anyone has used them and how they performed.

I will only use match bullets for varmints and coyotes but I was doing some reading and some guys in the States use them on deer....granted they might be those tiny dog sized deer.

LC
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM

I've also have heard of guys using Matchking bullets for deer and other big game. Mostly guys reaching way out there at them on the count of the accuracy they get from them and they are cheap to shoot. As well they are frangible and some guys like that. The fact that they dont expand reliably or consistently like hunting bullets do is part of the reason they are not recomemded for hunting.They surely don't kill any better, in my opinion anyhow.

Again there are bullets specifically desingned for long range hunting. The Berger vld/hunting bullet, Barnes Lrx, Nosler Accubond long range ect...As well as the others I previously mentioned. Any cup core or bonded bullet will work If it has a decent BC and is accurate in your rifle. And like you stated...there's quite a difference between a nothern alberta whitetail and a south texas whitetail.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree, was curious if anyone has used them and how they performed.

I will only use match bullets for varmints and coyotes but I was doing some reading and some guys in the States use them on deer....granted they might be those tiny dog sized deer.

LC
You mean those guys in the states that are on TV, and just about fall out of a tree stand, hyper-ventilating and nearly having a heart attack and screamin yahhhoooo, yeehhhhaaaawww and high fiving each other when they drop a little WT doe?....those guys?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM

I've used SMK and Hornady AM bullets on deer and sheep-sized game, as well as coyotes, etc. Zero issues.

The reason for using them over hunting-style bullets is that it's much easier to make accurate hits at extended ranges with a bullet that exhibits match-grade accuracy and is less affected by wind changes. I've found that a frangible bullet that hits where it's supposed to kills quicker than a stout bullet that hits a little outside of the mark. Having said that, I typically try to keep my shots with target-style bullets beyond the 400 yard mark to get the impact velocity down a bit, but I've also used them at 40 yards with zero problems. A clean wound channel through both scapulas, and a 1.5" exit wound.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM

i shoot berger
i've killd with berger
and will keep using berger because no matter how much damage you do, f you do it at the right spot its a quick kill and berger shoot tight as hell in my gun.

would i recommand it: no

it make a mess. nothing left of the bullet, just a big ball of sludge.
5 exit holes in a deer. . . . .that is with a 308win
now, imagine the 7mm wsm. . . .its a varmit bullet.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Like Lefty says , the 52 gr. Amax does a great job on scrambling coyote innards with very few exit holes .
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM

try this site have good info on target bullets for hunting -terminal ballistics research click on knowledgebase

Last edited by texas heart shot; 03-17-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM

Ive shot coyotes deer and buffalo with berger and amax bullets. They kill stuff dead and they are accurate, whats the problem with that? **** poor shooting is just that and admit it or not we all have or will be guilty of doing it at some point and the results are animals that dont die instantly, doesnt matter what bullet you use.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

the .308 diam 190gr Sierra BTHP .. dropped moose in its track at 325 yards 2 years ago. Also a bull moose got a surprise headshot with the 190.. droped like a rock.. shot been made at 25 yards.

Love the bullet.. its accurate and killed mooses ...
Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 PM

If I had no hunting bullets and couldn't get any, I would hunt with a match bullet. Otherwise, I don't see the point. Leeper
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You mean those guys in the states that are on TV, and just about fall out of a tree stand, hyper-ventilating and nearly having a heart attack and screamin yahhhoooo, yeehhhhaaaawww and high fiving each other when they drop a little WT doe?....those guys?
LMFAO! So true... I would watch more WildTV if it weren't for those guys.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
**** poor shooting is just that and admit it or not we all have or will be guilty of doing it at some point and the results are animals that dont die instantly, doesnt matter what bullet you use.
Rob, haven't you read all the threads where the self-deluded people get all macho and chime in that they have never wounded, gut-shot, or lost an animal?

What's wrong with with you?