Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I don't know how one would work up loads for a match rifle without one......
.....very carefully.
I must admit my income level draws a pretty thick line between Need and Want... My free time is cheap but limited, maybe I just don't know what it is exactly I'm missing... Might have to pick up some more gadgets to hang on the bench I guess.

I have been curious about the redding bullet seating die with micrometer, does it actually correspond directly to seating depth with every line in .0001 incriments or is it just there as some form of refrence?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
.....very carefully.
I must admit my income level draws a pretty thick line between Need and Want... My free time is cheap but limited, maybe I just don't know what it is exactly I'm missing... Might have to pick up some more gadgets to hang on the bench I guess.

I have been curious about the redding bullet seating die with micrometer, does it actually correspond directly to seating depth with every line in .0001 incriments or is it just there as some form of refrence?
The Redding dies that i have are very accurate and are in fact a micrometer head, so yes, they arre acccurate.
Cat
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Got myself a hornady one from Bass (didn't have sinclairs). Also landed myself a few boxes of 175gr match kings
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Smoke up a bullet, find the lands, and use a Sinclair nut to find out where the OAL is on the ogive of the bullet.
Measuring from the tip is inaccurate for finding the proper OAL.

next, load up a batch of bullets at .005 increments and find out which ones group the best.
Take the tightest, and load another set at that length , plus a group ,005 over and .005 under, and go again.
That's as simple as it gets.
One can get more complicated if one wishes, but I'd rather be shooting my rifles ....
Cat
x2
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Brought up a previous post for you to read.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Brought up a previous post for you to read.
Thanks! That was a good read.

One thing I've realized is I am kind of at the mercy of my box magazines am I not? Not sure how long a round an AI magazine will fit.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
Thanks! That was a good read.

One thing I've realized is I am kind of at the mercy of my box magazines am I not? Not sure how long a round an AI magazine will fit.
Check it out, not all magazines limit the length of the round.
Cat
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Max OAL length in an AI mag should be 2.820"ish
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
String thru the flash hole..........with a BIG KNOT on the end inside the case to prevent it from pulling out when you pull it out from the breech.......that is how I see it.
You pretty much got it. You could use the bolt to chamber the modified case but if you push it in with your finger you can feel the bullet contact the lands and you use the stirng to pull it back out. Less chance of the bullet slipping in the case when you pull it out with the string. You can feel if your bullet is stuck into the land or contacting the lands with the string. All you can tell when you use the bolt is the round went in and came back out. It just helps give you a feel for what is going on in the chamber of your gun. Which may give you your true COAL faster and with more confidence then when using the bolt. Mind you I just did it for my 7mm browning and man it that gun ever chambered tight. And the Lands are farther in then my clip will allow me to seat my bullets. Best I could do is .030 off the lands or else the rounds won't fit in the box mag. My Sako 308 works out to be out to the almost the edge of the box mag for my to the Lands length.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 03-16-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Take a fired unsized case...tap one side of the neck on your bench so it has a slight kink to it,rotate it 90 degrees and do it again.Now seat a bullet into it with your fingers. Drop this onto your feed rails or ramp and close the action.Now when you close it the slug will meet the lands and give you a max OAL,and it doesnt matter as to the ogive of your slug. Open or extract carefully and write down the measurement after using a caliper on it. Do this 6-10 times,average it out and then seat the slug 30 thou deeper and you have a starting point.

If you have a long throat but a shorter mag,measure the mag and subtract 10 thou from it and use that as your start point for seating a slug...
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Default Need confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I never bother with the COAL listed in any manual. I generally start with the bullet seated .010" off of the lands(.050" with monometal bullets), and test until I establish the bullet/powder combination that appears to have the most potential. Then I fine tune the actual powder charge, and the distance from the lands. I generally find that most hunting bullets(non monometal) perform best when seated from .005" to .015" from the lands, and most target bullets when seated from .010" off of the lands, to .010", into the lands. I seem to get the best results with monometal bullets seated .050" to .070" from the lands. I have found Berger bullets to be much more sensitive to seating depth , than most other bullets, but I no longer use them.
7mm08. Sierra 140gr Game King Spitzer BT. I used the "michaelmicallef" method (see att pic) of establishing COAL. Measured repeatedly, the COAL is 2.816 inches, when hitting the lands for this bullet. Measured a Hornady Interlock and came up with 2.871.

So, based on the above, I should start with seating the bullets .010 of the lands (they are jacketed).

Sierra 140gr Game King Spitzer BT. On the lands at 2.816. Back off to 2.806? Can I get a confirmation on that please. Having done that.......comparing it to what? Up and down in .005 increments? Going up once, only leaves .005 from the lands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COAL.jpg (51.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
7mm08. Sierra 140gr Game King Spitzer BT. I used the "michaelmicallef" method (see att pic) of establishing COAL. Measured repeatedly, the COAL is 2.816 inches, when hitting the lands for this bullet. Measured a Hornady Interlock and came up with 2.871.

So, based on the above, I should start with seating the bullets .010 of the lands (they are jacketed).

Sierra 140gr Game King Spitzer BT. On the lands at 2.816. Back off to 2.806? Can I get a confirmation on that please. Having done that.......comparing it to what? Up and down in .005 increments? Going up once, only leaves .005 from the lands.
In your situation, I would start with a COAL of 2.806" with the Gameking, and 2.861" with the Interlock. I never load hunting loads into the lands, so I wouldn't go longer than 2.811" with the Gameking, but I would try a bit shorter than 2.806". I also set up my seating die, with the actual bullet that I used to measure the distance to the lands(bullet points do vary).
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post

NOTE::, measuring the OAL to the tip of the bullet is not always accurate, because some bullets come out of the molds with tips that are a bit deformed which results in inconsistent OAL's when measured to the tip. It is best to use a comparator, and measure on the ogive. An interesting exercise for those measuring COAL to the bullet tip, is to load 20, and measure them to see what variation you get in measurement..differences are usually less with plastic tips and vary more with hollow points or lead points. In spite of being different lengths, the bullets may actually be the same distance from the lands to the ogive...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
NOTE::, measuring the OAL to the tip of the bullet is not always accurate, because some bullets come out of the molds with tips that are a bit deformed which results in inconsistent OAL's when measured to the tip. It is best to use a comparator, and measure on the ogive. An interesting exercise for those measuring COAL to the bullet tip, is to load 20, and measure them to see what variation you get in measurement..differences are usually less with plastic tips and vary more with hollow points or lead points. In spite of being different lengths, the bullets may actually be the same distance from the lands to the ogive...
Exactly why I use the very same bullet that I used to determine the COAL to the lands, to set up my seating die. Doing so avoids dealing with differences in bullet tips. Just don't expect the COAL of every loaded round to be the same.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Variation of .005 OAL on thirty rounds with the Sierra Game Kings. Comparator will come

5 X 45grs IMR4350
5 x 45.5 grs
5 X 46 grs
5 X 46.5 grs
5 X 47 grs (compressed load starts)
5 X 47.5 grs

Max never to exceed is 48grs. I may not even get to 47.5 but at least I'll have them at the range instead of wishing I made them beforehand.

Last edited by CNP; 03-17-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 PM

Looks good without having a manual to confirm charge weights. Just be sure to keep the barrel cool while watching for pressure signs.

FWIW the Hornady manual has some great info in the front that does a really good job of helping to explain this stuff.