Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Winchester primers?
Silver plated or not?
Because the unplated(brass colored) primers are a smudge smaller diameter.

I think EH 11's chart is a bit older with plated Winchester primers.

Yep, my brass coloured WLR primers are .2100"
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM

I bought two bags of new 7-08 brass, one Remington, one Nosler. When I was priming the Remington brass with CCI BR-2 primers and with Remington 9 ½ , there was no difference in pressure I applied to the hand priming tool. However, when I went to prime the Nosler (nicer and more precise) brass , I had to use both hands to push the BR-2 primers in. The Remington 9 ½ primer didn’t need extra force to be pushed in. Measuring both primers and primer pockets with a beam caliper on Remington and Nosler didn’t indicate any difference. I got to conclusion the beam caliper is not accurate enough tool for this precise measurement. I will try to machine a tool to test the pockets before primer installation...

GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish . . . and he’ll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshell View Post
If it requires the use of both arms on the lever of the ram to seat primers in the hornady brass I would be suspecting that brass of having undersized pockets.
A loose primer pocket is one where you can seat the primer in with you thumbnail or where the primer falls out.
If that what's considered a loose primer than I was mistaken. Just having so many inconsistencies with the amount of force required to seat primers is messing me up. Like I previously mentioned I had the same situation with brand new Remington brass and the same win primers. So I think i am ok. I had no sighs of over pressure. I'll see how it works out with different primers. I could try and seat a CCI primer although I don't have magnum CCI. Primers.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I loaded some 7 mm rem mag last night and noticed that the primers went in with very little effort. The brass has only been fired once before and the load was about 5% under max load. No other pressure signs present. Is this normal with Remington brass? Should I try Winchester. Can't find any high end brass around.
We have some 7mm Rem Norma brass - pm me if you like.