Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Cmon cat, I know you've got to own more Enfields than that. Both really nice rifles though. I'm curious about the 1 piece stocks though, do you tap another screw in somewhere or is the whole thing held together with only one action screw?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Cmon cat, I know you've got to own more Enfields than that. Both really nice rifles though. I'm curious about the 1 piece stocks though, do you tap another screw in somewhere or is the whole thing held together with only one action screw?
Yes there is a second action screw behind the trigger guard, and also a recoil lug has had been added , and the barrel is full length bedded.
The trigger was tuned to an exact 2 1/2 pounds wit no creep , very very nice gun to shoot and very fast to come up from from the port arms.
This gun was made way back in the early 50's IIRC.

As far as my other Enfields, they have all been sold, the Metfords,Grant made lee Speeds, all of them.
I am trying to get down to minimum for my retirement, so the one I got from Leo will eventually go as well.
Cat

Old 01-20-2019, 10:32 AM

I'm hating this thread. lol I've only recently become semi-serious about getting a LE, but can't/won't until I learn a whole lot more about them...which I'm fighting the temptation to do. Two that get the blood pumping for me (for some reason) are the .22LR trainers, and the Ishapore 410s. There is a stubborn part of me that wants to go grouse hunting with an Enfield in 410. I can't make sense of it. lol

I've never shot 303 British, but find the look of the No.1 MK IIIs (full wood stock) to be the most handsome looking ones...and probably the model I'll end up getting. Having never owned one, the sporter versions hold no appeal...other than the price.

Never thought I'd want anything "milsurp", but at nearly 1/2 a century old...my tastes are shifting slightly. Budget limits me to guns I know I'll use, so a LE hasn't made the cut yet. Then again, I just picked-up an unfired Marlin 1895 ABL...and have no practical purpose for 45-70. Yet...there is a pound of new powder sitting beside me, and a shipment from Budget Shooter supply en-route with brass and bullets.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Groundhogger, if you ever get the chance to handle a Lee Speed built as a civilian riflee by BSA, Graant and Sons, etc, do so.
They are AMAZING!
Sleek, handle and point super and are very accurate.
Think of the movie " The ghost And The Darkness"! The rifle Val Kilmer used was a fine rifle!
Cat
Old 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

image.jpg

Pig hunting.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Groundhogger, if you ever get the chance to handle a Lee Speed built as a civilian riflee by BSA, Graant and Sons, etc, do so.
They are AMAZING!
Sleek, handle and point super and are very accurate.
Think of the movie " The ghost And The Darkness"! The rifle Val Kilmer used was a fine rifle!
Cat
Like this one
BSA Lee Speed

Old 01-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudite View Post
Like this one
BSA Lee Speed

]
Nice rifle, I've always wondered why guys want a mint for those things, while a really nice LE sporter rarely goes for over $500. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Nice rifle, I've always wondered why guys want a mint for those things, while a really nice LE sporter rarely goes for over $500. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
They command a higher price I think because they were better built and the barrels were of better quality usually as well as being built with express sights and fine checkering .
What many do not know However is that the Parker Hale factory sporters were often re- barreled , and if a person finds one with the barrel marked as such, they are very accurate hunting rifles and are far better than the usual cut down military rifles
Cat
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 PM

I've had a few Lee Enfields throughout my hunting career . One in particular a no1mk3 that I took more game with than any other rifle. I sold it to fellow on this forum and regretted it since.I wish I wish I could post some pics but can't do it anymore since photobucket went crazy on me. Had a No5 as well and a full wood Savage No4. I still have my dad's old No4 and it will stay with me ,although I haven't hunted with it yet . Maybe this year ,God willing I am able to get out.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
To really understand the only way is to actually hold one in your hands.They exude quality.The absence of the charger bridge coupled with the dust cover gives them a more of a sleek look.Mine has some nice engraving and fancy wood.Put it up to your shoulder and the sights magically line up without hardly even trying.They arena example of how a sporting rifle should be made.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudite View Post
To really understand the only way is to actually hold one in your hands.They exude quality.The absence of the charger bridge coupled with the dust cover gives them a more of a sleek look.Mine has some nice engraving and fancy wood.Put it up to your shoulder and the sights magically line up without hardly even trying.They arena example of how a sporting rifle should be made.
Ahh I see, sort of like a Grohmann knife, you need to handle one to really get it.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
They command a higher price I think because they were better built and the barrels were of better quality usually as well as being built with express sights and fine checkering .
What many do not know However is that the Parker Hale factory sporters were often re- barreled , and if a person finds one with the barrel marked as such, they are very accurate hunting rifles and are far better than the usual cut down military rifles
Cat
I do like the Parker Hales, but I've found LE accuracy to be a bit of a mystery. I've seen nice factory sporters with excellent bores that don't really shoot that well, while crappy hack job rifles with the rifling half rotted out will sometimes group nicely.

That said, I will someday make room in the safe for a really nice LE sporter.