Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Does your scent rise?

Told my buddy at work that I wasn't going hunting today because the wind was wrong for my stand. He asked how high my stand was, told him about 15 feet up. Tells me not to worry about it as I'm high up and my scent wouldn't be a problem. I always thought that my scent would be blow how ever the wind currents blew and never went to the stand with bad wind direction. What your thoughts on your scent , wind and stand height?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM

I always watch wind direction when chooseing a stand to hunt from, it never hurts to put as many things as possible on your side. With that being siad I do have one quarter section that I hunt on that it seem the wt are so use to human scent being on the wind that as long as you don't stink to high heaven of sweat they don't care, they may stop to look things over but then go back to feeding. So it also depends on the animals themselves. Best set is to work the wind in your favour. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM

In very cold temperatures it is true it will rise until it reaches ambiant air temp. In minus 30 you might get 30 feet depending on wind speed. In these temps you wont get much of difference so it will very quickly become aclimated to air temps and be of no use to you. would not use it as a factor in covering your scent.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I would think it would have a lot to do with barometric pressure. When the pressure rises(nice weather coming) and you light a fire, the smoke crawls along the ground. Would have to think scent would do the same thing.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM

would try to play the wind whenever you sit on stand, but I have stands at around the 30 feet mark and deer walk all around me.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 PM

I always thought that in the early morning your scent will rise as the earth warms up from the sun and in the evening the cool air drives your scent down.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM

X2