Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Upland Hunters Caution....... Coyote Snares on EID

I know that a few guys on here hunt this area and I just want to warn them and maybe prevent their dogs from getting injured. Yesterday while hunting the EID lease north of Rosemary along the Matzhiwin creek my 6 month old lab was caught in a Coyote snare, luckily she was only caught around her muzzle and I managed to free her without any injury, there was a second snare within 10 yrds of the first. I moved about 3km east and was working some cover when I heard my older lab gasping for breath I was very lucky that after the first incident I brought a pair of wire cutters with me as she was snared around the neck, was in a panic as she was fighting for air. These snares were new and set by someone that knew what they were doing although setting Coyote snares in an area where guys are hunting upland birds with dogs does not show a high degree of intelligence! If you are out there make sure to bring some wire cutters with you or maybe avoid this place.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

The EID is private land onto which hunters are allowed to enter under certain condition, which I'm sure you're aware of.
To set traps or snares someone would likely have to authorize permission.
The guy you might want to talk to and make him aware of is Rick Martin the wildlife manager. He always seems like a good guy and I believe he's a hunter too. His e-mail is below.

rick.martin@eid.ab.ca
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Thank god it wasn't a spring type kill snare.

Thanks for the heads up. I am surprised an irrigation district is allowing traps with out signage.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 PM

rae61 Thanks for posting this,
scary stuff glad you got through it OK.

on private land I always ask about Predator/pest control. I'm not up on my Alberta trapping regs is it not required to post trapping activity in a public area?
just for this reason?

cohod
Old 11-03-2010, 05:57 PM

UIn the last 2 years, at more than one location in southern Alberta, I have had farmers comment about Hutterites setting snares and leghold traps on lands without asking permission.

Not sure 100% how they attribute the snares to Hutterites, just repeating what the farmers said.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM

First I will find out the EID policy on trapping and whether they were aware of the trapping in this particular location. If it's allowed then I feel that this should be made known to all who use the area before a hunter looses their dog.

I agree it could be someone doing this without the EID's knowledge so I just hope it was some "clown" who just did not think about the hazard they were creating for the bird hunters that use the area. It really scares me to think that they were set by someone that thought about the risk to hunter's dogs but did it anyway! I will let you know what the EID has to say after I contact Rick Martin.

cohod, I know you have been there this season so I'm glad you saw this!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the warning. I'm heading out in the morning. We didn't see anything so far and hope I don't find a snare over the next couple of days.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Leased land is treated the same as owned land for the purpose of trapping.

Snares may be set by a holder of a registered or resident trapping license on leased land, with the permission of the lease holder.

Warning signs are only required for bear baits.

Hope I got that right. I never was great at remembering details.
If anyone wishes to check the trapping regulations, I believe they are available for download, free, on the SDR web site.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Default current trapper jump in?

I haven't bothered getting my trapping licence for a few years but the last time I was licenced in Alberta traps and snares had to have a name tag or licence number of the trapper affixed by a metal or plastic tag for id as a licenced resident trapper.
The power snares are deadly but the locking snares that tighten with a struggle are usually not seriously dangerous to domestic dogs unless the owner doesn't notice his dog is missing for a very long time. Any dog accustomed to a collar will not struggle to the desperation point required to strangle.
Have had my retrievers caught in a lock snare set for wolves in northern ontario as well as the leg hold #4 trap and prefer the lock snare every day to one leg hold experience.
Rob
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Gone Hunting

I remember seeing that about tags on traps and snares some years back.
It didn't apply to the trapping I was doing so I didn't pay it much attention.

I just went through the new regs pamphlet but found no reference to tags of any sort for traps or snares.

I think they may have dropped that requirement.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
sheephunter

I passed a link to this thread along to Rick earlier today and he's looking in to it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Wow! Glad the dogs are ok, thanks for posting, it might save a dogs life....
Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Do dogs read tags? If the person who is doing the snaring is doing it legally and you want to know who it is then contact the landowner. You need written permission to snare so they will know who is there. If it's someone doing it illegally then it's kind of like the long gun registry and we all know who don't register. I do some trapping and snaring to control coyotes for different folks out here and have never caught a dog in a snare. Signage might seem like a good idea to the dog hunters but to a person putting out money for traps and snares it seems like a big invitation that says, "Here is my hardware and fur, first come gets the most".
Once again sheephunter is trying to stir a pot that he has no idea what's in it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 AM

I think the ID tags on snares is a thing of the past. And I was always told that dogs won't fight a snare hard enough to kill them....only ever caught one and he was fine.

Had a guy hunting on our land about 8 years ago...released pheasants....and warned him about the particular bush I had my snares in. He ended up in that bush and said I caught his dog 3 times before he could get him out of that bush. Every trail the dog ran down had at least one snare hanging on it.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Do dogs read tags? If the person who is doing the snaring is doing it legally and you want to know who it is then contact the landowner. You need written permission to snare so they will know who is there. If it's someone doing it illegally then it's kind of like the long gun registry and we all know who don't register. I do some trapping and snaring to control coyotes for different folks out here and have never caught a dog in a snare. Signage might seem like a good idea to the dog hunters but to a person putting out money for traps and snares it seems like a big invitation that says, "Here is my hardware and fur, first come gets the most".
Once again sheephunter is trying to stir a pot that he has no idea what's in it.
I think you need to re-read the original post pitw. How is sheephunter string the pot here? Seems to me its you stirring the pot the post is about snaring in an area frequented by lots of bird hunters with their dogs. You may not appreciate that but some of us are attached to our dogs and spend a great deal of time training the perfect hunting dog and to loose one to a situation easily avoided is just not acceptable… now read carefully I have no issue with trapping or sharing the space, In fact my family and I have taped for over 40years in B.C and still have 3 registered lines I ALWAYS put up a notice to warn dog folk if I had traps in an area used by the public. I used to snare wolves and I put up notices because there were guys in the area chasing cats with hounds. Its called respect for others.

As far as a dog not getting killed in a snare… with the speed and range of my Setters if one of them hit a snare at full speed or even half speed it would be a dead dog by the time I found it. What if the person snaring used power snares? Again there is no problem with an individual snaring in the area but really a notice to other users warning of trapping activity is just the right thing to do. There is tone of country out there all I need is a notice of warning and I’ll move on to a new area.

I also highly doubt that permission would be granted to snare while birds are still open just for this vary reason…but that is just my opinion

cohod
Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
HUH? I saw this thread and passed the link along to the wildlife manager for the EID as a courtesy to him (I know him personally) and he said he'd look at it....how is that stirring anything. He was actually concerned.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-04-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Signage might seem like a good idea to the dog hunters but to a person putting out money for traps and snares it seems like a big invitation that says, "Here is my hardware and fur, first come gets the most".
Haha, give us a break. Read the thread PITW... I find it hard to believe that $25 in fur and $5 in wire is worth a hunting dogs life.

If your that hard up in your trapping adventures you can't afford to put up a sign; send me a PM and perhaps I could donate to your cause... Or maybe you should sell some of that Land of yours.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Well I talked with Rick Martin at the EID, Very nice guy, and he had read TJ's email and was aware of the issue when I called. Let me say that what TJ did was very helpful and much appreciated!

So yes there are four guys with permission to trap on the EID he talked to three of them and none have snares out, he will contact the fourth. He also said that he does not want them setting snares until bird season is over and will let them know that. He wanted to know the location of the snares and will go and do some checking personally.

Rick was very understanding of the issue as he hunts out there with his dogs and hated the thought that someone could lose a dog to a snare. To me it sounds like someone is doing this illegally and if that is the case there might be more sets out there and they probably don't give a dam if they kill a dog so make sure to carry a pair of wire cutters with you!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Well done guys!!

PITW...... Read thrice, Think twice, Type once. SHeep did a good thing and a appoligy is in order.

Jamie
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM

This just reinforces something I learned on the weekend... the need to have a dog first-aid kit!

Was just about two minutes in to what looked like a wonderful upland hunting day. My Britt Jasper freezes... "oh goody goody goody" I think. I get up to him, he's looking at some brush in the coulie. I get ready to shoot and knee him forward a bit to bust the bird(s). He's hesitant, I push some more (don't ask me why I did) Anyway, I discover what he sensed. PORCUPINE! Now I'm trying to get him back away. He lunges at the porc and gets a nose full of needles.

I had bought a dog first-aid pocket book this spring. Of course it's at home. I call my wife and ask her to read it to me, I also ask for number of the nearest vet. Having never dealt with quills before and having nothing but a multi-tool I elect to drive to the vet in Nanton and spend $180. Turns out the damage was pretty minor and something I could have probably handled on my own in the field if equiped properly. Still, $180 seemed pretty reasonable for getting the vet to come in on a Sunday morning, anesthetic, something else to bring him out of the anesthetic, and antibiotics afterwards, plus instruction on how to do it. I bought a mild sedative I can use if this happens again, will get some hemostats of different sizes, and pack it all with gloves, antiseptic, wirecutters, and the first aid book.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the follow up rae61.
hears hopping you have a safe and successful remainder of you season.

Okotokian,

Get yourself a good pair of pliers and NEVER leave home without them I use a Letherman. I have hit 5 porkies with my new guy this season and have pulled a pile of quills, the last being the worst with at least 200 quills I pulled all but 2 out in the field those 2 required surgery 1 3" long under the rib cage. The other we are still looking for, migrated on the way to the vet and we can’t find it just tip of the quill so I hope it will be OK.
I also carry a med kit, added a few items like crazy glue antibacterial cream and a medical stapler. I have had a Couple major wrecks that I really could have used that stapler (haven’t needed it since I got it... knock on wood)

cohod

Last edited by cohod; 11-04-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
HUH? I saw this thread and passed the link along to the wildlife manager for the EID as a courtesy to him (I know him personally) and he said he'd look at it....how is that stirring anything. He was actually concerned.
Did you say any where in your initial post who you were sending it to? There is a pile of Ricks in this province so I may have took it the wrong way but only from lack of information.
Sneeze does it matter if you steal a penny or a million dollars? I read on here where everyone dislikes thieves but you seem to condone it.
I would think that when talked to the fourth trapper would realize the need to share an area with bird hunters so as not to cause any more problems for the bird hunters.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Did you say any where in your initial post who you were sending it to? There is a pile of Ricks in this province so I may have took it the wrong way but only from lack of information.
Post number 2 in this thread should have been your first clue......
Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Locals not happy ...

This is an interesting situation ,,, I know all parties concerned , the area very well ,in fact I mentioned this to rae on the phone ...I have been hassled by a local in this area , given the quiz about whio I am , where from etc ...

Not leasor just a local pumpkin who doesnt like all the bird hunters in there ..

I inquired as to his name , residence , and mission. Said I would happily

discuss this with EID staff or anyone else with him present ....

He than described himself perfectly to me , by shouting out a body part

and driving off. Hopefully this is just a mistake on somebodys part,

and not a visit from coocoo land ....W101
Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Post number 2 in this thread should have been your first clue......

X2

I was going to comment, but then I read your post.....
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks for follow-up Rae and Winch. Thankfully my GSP hasn't found a snare yet. It was pretty morning today

Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Great shot goldscud.
what a day for late season upland!

cohod
Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Windy and warm. Not great scenting conditions. Birds were on the run in the tall grass. We definitely got our exercise. The dog says she needs a day off to repair the skin damage.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 AM

goldscud thanks for that great picture good to hear that you had no issues! Hunting that big open prairie on warm winding days is not always easy and even tougher in poor years like this one.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
PITW...... Read thrice, Think twice, Type once. SHeep did a good thing and a appoligy is in order.
When did you become a mod?

OMO, snaring wolves and coyotes on public land should only be allowed after bird season. Hunting with dogs are part of the 'hunt' and we shouldn't have to worry about our pals getting caught up in snares.