Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Well this is really getting bad

Just got this in the mail today. Where is the new Castle area from this? All I see when I read this is the Granola crunchers shutting everything down.
It's like all these groups want it to go back to the days when there were no houses and people. They want things so protected you can't even go for a walk to disturb a flower. Should we be concerned?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Uh oh. Sooooo pretty soon all the foothills and first mountain ranges will be one big park? One more fee to pay for access. Dang
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

well i don't oppose a wildland park.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertapa...ildland-parks/

hunting is allowed in every wildland park in Alberta and ohv's are allowed in most

http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertapa...n-regulations/

Quote:
Wildland Provincial Parks
Wildland provincial parks are a type of provincial park specifically established to preserve and protect natural heritage and provide opportunities for backcountry recreation.
Wildland provincial parks are established under the Provincial Parks Act.
Wildland provincial parks are large, undeveloped natural landscapes that retain their primeval character.
Trails and primitive backcountry campsites are provided in some wildland parks to minimize visitor impacts on natural heritage values.
Some wildland parks provide significant opportunities for eco-tourism and adventure activities such as backpacking, backcountry camping, wildlife viewing, mountain climbing and trail riding.
Designated trails for off-highway vehicle riding and snowmobiling are provided in some wildland parks.
List of wildland provincial parks
Old 08-23-2017, 03:01 PM

Same here. We discussed this one at the Edmonton BHA pub night -
it's habitat protection for a big important area and I'm glad that BHA is at the table advocating for hunting to remain an important use there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

hunting is allowed in every wildland park in Alberta and ohv's are allowed in most

Old 08-23-2017, 03:03 PM

I'm a supporter. Nothing wrong with taking a walk through nature. Instead of riding an atv. Also restricts industrial use. So this is a good thing. Not bad like the OP has in the title of this thread.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I'm a supporter. Nothing wrong with taking a walk through nature. Instead of riding an atv. Also restricts industrial use. So this is a good thing. Not bad like the OP has in the title of this thread.
based on historical wildland parks atvs would likely be allowed.

there would however be substantially less mining/logging/oil activity in that area
Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM

I agree. I do not see this as a bad thing. Habitat protection is key for our ability to keep hunting. I suspect most here will have a different view since Y2Y etc are involved...
Old 08-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
I suspect most here will have a different view since Y2Y etc are involved...
as much as i extremely dislike that organization, this time we seem to align.

they are conservation minded so it was perhaps bound to happen sooner or later
Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Well said. I think it is a step forward. To the OP why wouldn't you want to protect some of the head water river areas? You can pretty much stereotype people like the OP into his/her immediate needs and wants... screw everyone else. As above it doesn't shut out hunting, fishing or trapping so what's the big deal. If you don't know where this is in relation to the Castle area then what's your issue? If you are so ill-informed on where the area is what is your concern?

Tell us what is getting shut down by the "Granolers"?

Stupid thread and stupid post OP.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Sounds good to me. The more economic activity we destroy the better, more time to head out to the bush and enjoy nature!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

there would however be substantially less mining/logging/oil activity in that area
Can you shoot a rifle outside of an open hunting season in a wildland park?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Can you shoot a rifle outside of an open hunting season in a wildland park?
in my opinion most people shouldn't be allowed to target shoot on crown land so ask me if i care
Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:

While some hunting is allowed, it is further restricted in Wildland Parks compared to other jurisdictions.

And DO NOT Forget, that Alberta Parks has a HUGE influence on hunting seasons and allowable harvest rates compared to areas they are not in charge of.

Why do you think Anti-hunting groups are in favour of making these places a Wildland Park?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
in my opinion most people shouldn't be allowed to target shoot on crown land so ask me if i care
This from someone who likely never gets to the mountains.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Gone Hunting

I didn't see hunting, fishing , trapping mentioned in those two links. I did see a list of other activities that are allowed.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
This from someone who likely never gets to the mountains.
yawn... see you out there friday
Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I didn't see hunting, fishing , trapping mentioned in those two links. I did see a list of other activities that are allowed.
in this link?

with the table that has a column titled "hunting permitted" and then "yes" in every single spot
Old 08-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Now if they'd only keep the horse out as well it would be picture perfect!!! It might keep some of the pizz and shat out of the water shed as well.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
While some hunting is allowed, it is further restricted in Wildland Parks compared to other jurisdictions.

Why do you think Anti-hunting groups are in favour of making these places a Wildland Park?
which restrictions are you talking about that are specifically in a wildland park?

i would guess that an anti hunting group would want no hunting in a park and would not support it becoming a wildland park. instead they would want a traditional provincial park.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
Well said. I think it is a step forward. To the OP why wouldn't you want to protect some of the head water river areas? You can pretty much stereotype people like the OP into his/her immediate needs and wants... screw everyone else. As above it doesn't shut out hunting, fishing or trapping so what's the big deal. If you don't know where this is in relation to the Castle area then what's your issue? If you are so ill-informed on where the area is what is your concern?

Tell us what is getting shut down by the "Granolers"?

Stupid thread and stupid post OP.
lol Coming from you Martin I am not surprised lol You keep getting better with the more names you have on here
Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Now if they'd only keep the horse out as well it would be picture perfect!!! It might keep some of the pizz and shat out of the water shed as well.
yes please! i love it when i have 80lbs on my back and i have to walk through a slippery mud hole
Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Change brings new regulations and new ideas. From my experience change in these types of places never ends up being very good for for outdoorsman. Nothing wrong with protecting things but at the same time all you do is place the rights of one group over the next.
The way hunting is going in our province this is just another step to end hunting or make it more difficult.
Many areas to discuss over this but it looks like things are moving in this directions. Time will tell if it's a good thing or not but my spidy senses say it's not a good thing. Let me know how things go for you guys in the Castle area this winter...
Old 08-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
yes please! i love it when i have 80lbs on my back and i have to walk through a slippery mud hole
And when you get a little older you won't be able to go at all because your quad won't be allowed as well. lol
Old 08-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
And when you get a little older you won't be able to go at all because your quad won't be allowed as well. lol
i don't use a quad they're slightly worse than horses
Old 08-23-2017, 04:24 PM

If the loggers had been able to log Banff Park you would not have that huge wildfire burning everything up. I for one like to have wood in my house. When a forest reaches climax it should be select logged like they did in Star Creek to create fire breaks. If the experts are correct our climate is only going to get warmer and with another summer like the one we had in the south part of the province the forests will burn up. Logging also helps control the pine beetle. We have enough areas where we can not do much because it is a park or protected area. What is wrong with letting organizations like the quad squads develop trails for the atv crowd to use? Pretty soon no one will know how to use a firearm and then we can let the middle east crowd take over.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
i don't use a quad they're slightly worse than horses
u will when your older I bet!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM

I'm all for protecting the area, but will there be a extra fee or tax? Seems like everything costs something nowadays
Old 08-23-2017, 04:44 PM

I hate to see any more land restrictions. But on the plus side, at least they aren't proposing a freakin' regular provincial park. I'm also not aware of what possibly destructive industrial activity is going on in the area. So I'm not really sure how to take this proposal.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I'm all for protecting the area, but will there be a extra fee or tax? Seems like everything costs something nowadays
I've never heard of charges & fees for access to a wildland park?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
If the loggers had been able to log Banff Park you would not have that huge wildfire burning everything up. I for one like to have wood in my house. When a forest reaches climax it should be select logged like they did in Star Creek to create fire breaks. If the experts are correct our climate is only going to get warmer and with another summer like the one we had in the south part of the province the forests will burn up. Logging also helps control the pine beetle. We have enough areas where we can not do much because it is a park or protected area. What is wrong with letting organizations like the quad squads develop trails for the atv crowd to use? Pretty soon no one will know how to use a firearm and then we can let the middle east crowd take over.
Quite a spin you got there! From fires to quads to guns to middle east take-over.

Most of my hunting days are spent in the wildland provincial park. I love it. One of the best places to hunt in the province, no doubt. Quads are allowed, but I wish there were some types of restrictions to get rid of the idiots who ride the hills out of grass, ruin the roads with their 180s or whatever the name is of what they are doing, harassing the wildlife, etc. But that it is probably next to impossible to regulate things in such a way, so we have to live with the idiots ruining it for everyone until things are banned and closed for everyone.