Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Default North Ram River and Nordegg area fishing

Does anyone have information on access to the north ram river?

I'm going down for the weekend and I'm curious on access points along the FTR
as well if anyone had info on nordegg area fishing that would awesome!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Big parking area on the south side of the North Ram right off the FTR. We fished downstream of FTR a couple weeks ago. Water levels are pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-04-2017, 08:19 AM

the north fork road (the road at the bridge over the N Ram) heads downstream and parrallels the river for about 15 k give or take, lots of places to pull over and access the river. but it will more than likely be pretty busy all along there on a long weekend so finding a open section might be tough. the road also heads upstream to the first crossing. it has been a few years since i took the rd upstream and even then it was pretty dicey as to getting thru in some spots due to washouts need a 4x4, car will never make it. and not much room to turnaround. you can't take vehicles across the river at the crossing to go further up the road (not sure about ATV's either).

as for Nordegg, tons of water to fish. Blackstone is very good for cutties, Shunda right at Nordegg is pretty decent for small browns, Bighorn further down Hwy 11 upstream of Crecent Falls is a good cuttie stream, Brown creek is pretty decent also. lots of lakes also to fish in the area.

but it will be crowded on a long weekend especially with the ATV ban south of Red Deer River. going to be lots of people all over the place.

rgds
Mike
Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
the north fork road (the road at the bridge over the N Ram) heads downstream and parrallels the river for about 15 k give or take, lots of places to pull over and access the river. but it will more than likely be pretty busy all along there on a long weekend so finding a open section might be tough. the road also heads upstream to the first crossing. it has been a few years since i took the rd upstream and even then it was pretty dicey as to getting thru in some spots due to washouts need a 4x4, car will never make it. and not much room to turnaround. you can't take vehicles across the river at the crossing to go further up the road (not sure about ATV's either).

as for Nordegg, tons of water to fish. Blackstone is very good for cutties, Shunda right at Nordegg is pretty decent for small browns, Bighorn further down Hwy 11 upstream of Crecent Falls is a good cuttie stream, Brown creek is pretty decent also. lots of lakes also to fish in the area.

but it will be crowded on a long weekend especially with the ATV ban south of Red Deer River. going to be lots of people all over the place.

rgds
Mike
Might be a good idea to stay away from the North fork road for awhile. There's a big log haul going on right now with 28 hauls a day. those guys like to take up the whole road when they're hauling. Go in through the Nordegg route instead.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Might be a good idea to stay away from the North fork road for awhile. There's a big log haul going on right now with 28 hauls a day. those guys like to take up the whole road when they're hauling. Go in through the Nordegg route instead.
Log haul, I was told, is only week days.

Don
Old 08-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Default north ram

plenty of access, not as busy weekdays but the log haul is nuts right now. Was up for a couple days a week ago camping on Cripple creek and the fishing was good, plenty of action on drys pretty well anywhere that looked fishy on the ram. not many anglers but it was monday, tues
Old 08-06-2017, 01:05 AM

Mike, the road upstream of the ftr is now closed to all motorized vehicles past the horse camp. You can't legally drive to the first crossing any longer even on quad. The road is not being repaired as far as I know although the signs say it It is a temporary closure, it has been that way a few years now with no change or sign of repair. Of course the signs don't stop all the illiterates out there... there were fresh quad tracks in the mud on my last visit.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Also there is road construction on the Northfork road from the end of the pavement for about 5-6 km. Extremely slick and muddy.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM

I accessed the river via Nordegg and the Truck Road - traffic was light for being a long weekend. The north fork road was gorgeous and very well maintained. the Road was a lot better than I thought

access via the fork road was amazing right next to the river as said.

landed 14 cuts of various sizes throughout the day. couple nice 14-15" fish

Cripple creek is south towards ram falls correct?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Has anyone been out the North Fork road lately? Is the log haul section still busy? Is the road construction on the east end completed? Thanks for any updates.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:01 PM

there is still a bit of construction going on for the first 8 or so k of the gravel on east end but it is nearing an end. most of it is graded and gravelled with just a small portion needing gravel to finish it off. lot nicer drive then Aug long.

that being said the rest of the road is very washboarded. be careful going around corners and downhill because of the washboard.

as for log trucks was there none on the long weekend and . must of took the weekend off. most of the logging seems to be between km 42 and roughly km 55. there is a lot of activity up Trout Rd and a couple of new roads into cut blocks along the road. didn't see any sign of activity along the road that parrallels the river. there is a new bridge (i think it was there last year also) at about km 65 that heads arcoss the river and south. think it was called the Pinto mainline rd.

as for the fishing only fished about 2hrs on monday but they were jumping like crazy at every pool. huge mayfly hatch going on and they were very active. landed 4 and had about 6 or so on that spit the hook before i could land them. biggest was about 14" or so others in the 10 - 12 range. very colorful and healthy looking.

good luck
Mike
Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 AM

Thanks Mike. Good information.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
there is a new bridge (i think it was there last year also) at about km 65 that heads arcoss the river and south. think it was called the Pinto mainline rd.

as for the fishing only fished about 2hrs on monday but they were jumping like crazy at every pool. huge mayfly hatch going on and they were very active. landed 4 and had about 6 or so on that spit the hook before i could land them. biggest was about 14" or so others in the 10 - 12 range. very colorful and healthy looking.

good luck
Mike

I believe that bridge is not for public access. I personally would not recommend taking it as per the signage.

The road only follows the river for about 6-7 kms towards the truck road could anyone verify that?

I also fished there on the weekend and the pressure was pretty immense compared to the previous long weekend. but still lots of cutts. over 35 over the course of the day. found a pool(a very long hike) filled with upwards of 30-40 fish to the point where was I was standing in one section and had fish rising almost into me in less than 2-3 inch of water.

I found most big pools had a angler in them almost at every time of the day as well as anglers targeting certain spots with spinning tackle and barbed trebles. I m unsure how I feel about that.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumour View Post
The road only follows the river for about 6-7 kms towards the truck road could anyone verify that?
Yes. The road is only close to the North Ram from the FTR east for a short while, then turns away.