Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Default Some Bull to show with nice scenery

Ignore the goofy guy holding it. Not the biggest bull ever shown but the scenery and fish compliment each other nicely I thought. Good friend - good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bull trout.jpg (84.8 KB, 672 views)
Old 07-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
Ignore the goofy guy holding it. Not the biggest bull ever shown but the scenery and fish compliment each other nicely I thought. Good friend - good memories.
Awesome on all accounts, nothing wrong with that fish there. It's been a good year for bulls
Old 07-28-2017, 02:36 PM

That's just perfect! Wish I was there right now
Old 07-28-2017, 03:16 PM

Nice spot, been there many times

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Bulls are starting to recover!!!!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:45 AM

Thanks. It is a popular nice spot.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Beautiful spot, definitely need to figure out how to get there now

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 05:45 PM

Nice bull trout! I caught a couple nice ones as well on the Red Deer River past Sundre...and a nice cutthroat.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 07-29-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 AM

Nice fish guys,

Just a tip, don't take it poorly (I am sure I will catch flack but its the fish the matter most).

When releasing fish perhaps minimize the use of rough knotted nets and most importantly, laying them on rough dry rocks is a sure way to reduce their survival odds post release. Cheers.

Enjoy, those bulls are special fish and we are lucky to have them.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Nice fish guys,

Just a tip, don't take it poorly (I am sure I will catch flack but its the fish the matter most).

When releasing fish perhaps minimize the use of rough knotted nets and most importantly, laying them on rough dry rocks is a sure way to reduce their survival odds post release. Cheers.

Well said!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 AM

Nice fishes everyone!

I like to use this type of net that is silicone coated and has built in measurements so there's minimal handling required. I generally try and leave the fish in the water, especially big fish so that the water helps support their weight.

This guy was a solid 22 inches and made me run down the river after it. I usually try and horse them in as quick as possible so they are not completely depleted of energy but this guy took a good 10 minutes on a 4wt. I wasn't expecting something this large take a small dry on a 4wt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bull.jpg (89.8 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by slingshotz; 08-01-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Nice fish guys,

Just a tip.
If you don't have something good to say when people post pictures, don't say anything at all.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Just a tip.
If you don't have something good to say when people post pictures, don't say anything at all.
He's just being helpful. Nice pics guys!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Nice fishes everyone!

I like to use this type of net that is silicone coated and has built in measurements so there's minimal handling required. I generally try and leave the fish in the water, especially big fish so that the water helps support their weight.

This guy was a solid 22 inches and made me run down the river after it. I usually try and horse them in as quick as possible so they are not completely depleted of energy but this guy took a good 10 minutes on a 4wt. I wasn't expecting something this large take a small dry on a 4wt
That is a nice net. I have a similar without the measurements...time for an upgrade.
Oh, nice bull too
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Nice fish guys,

I get what you're saying and I agree. It's not my first choice of net, I prefer the other, more fish-friendly kinds they make for fly fishing, but it was all I had at the time borrowed from my dad. At least the fish wasn't laying directly on the rock, it had the net underneath it as a little bit of a barrier. I was just trying get the picture as quick as possible and kept the fish in the net so I could quickly dunk him back in the water. Unfortunately I was by myself so had no one to take the picture for me. I know there are better ways of doing things, but by yourself it's tricky sometimes. Btw, I could have kept the cutthroat for eating since where I was you are permitted 2, but I'm not much for eating fish so I released it thereby effectively increasing the mortality rate of that fish. All fish were strong and well when I released them.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM

Well at least you understand people have very special spots in their hearts for this fish and hate to it disrepected as it has been in the past. If you are using youre cell phone you can place it on selfie mode set it on a 5 sec timer, place it on the bank( before you start working on a hole preferably), net the fish and while keeping it in the water wade into the water and line up ur photo. Hit the button and lift up the fish usually you get a nice "dripping " shot. Some phones have voice activation , tripple shot option ect..... or just stand in the water and take shots from above like your second photo. Lifeproof smart phone cases are well worth the investment if youre phone isnt waterproof.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Well at least you understand people have very special spots in their hearts for this fish and hate to it disrepected as it has been in the past. If you are using youre cell phone you can place it on selfie mode set it on a 5 sec timer, place it on the bank( before you start working on a hole preferably), net the fish and while keeping it in the water wade into the water and line up ur photo. Hit the button and lift up the fish usually you get a nice "dripping " shot. Some phones have voice activation , tripple shot option ect..... or just stand in the water and take shots from above like your second photo. Lifeproof smart phone cases are well worth the investment if youre phone isnt waterproof.

Great tips there! I'll have to get better acquainted with my phone.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Just a tip.
No, you are wrong in this case.

First, the poster in question seems to have taken the comment as it was intended - offering thoughts within a community of practice who share publicly accessible and democratically managed resources. It was polite and in the spirit of virtuous angling.

Its not that its my ability to say something perceived as glib, its my duty to comment (with diplomacy and politeness) as a conservation minded angler who cares about the common good.

Its also an open forum where the intent is feedback and discussion. That's all from me on this.

Last edited by kayaker; 08-01-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Just a tip.

It's about practicing good handling. He didn't say it in a malicious way. Honestly are we adults or children?

They are all great photos and great fish. I myself have mishandled fish and have learned from the experiences of others. We have such a venerable fishery as it is and we should all want to preserve it.

Tight lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
I get what you're saying and I agree. It's not my first choice of net, I prefer the other, more fish-friendly kinds they make for fly fishing, but it was all I had at the time borrowed from my dad. At least the fish wasn't laying directly on the rock, it had the net underneath it as a little bit of a barrier. I was just trying get the picture as quick as possible and kept the fish in the net so I could quickly dunk him back in the water. Unfortunately I was by myself so had no one to take the picture for me. I know there are better ways of doing things, but by yourself it's tricky sometimes. Btw, I could have kept the cutthroat for eating since where I was you are permitted 2, but I'm not much for eating fish so I released it thereby effectively increasing the mortality rate of that fish. All fish were strong and well when I released them.
Cheers dude. We can all improve! Beauty fish
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Nice bull trout! I caught a couple nice ones as well on the Red Deer River past Sundre...and a nice cutthroat.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I've never caught a Cuttie in the red deer only bulls and whitefish as most of my fishing on the red deer is done out west between mountain aire and the bighorn campground, to be honest I didn't even know they were there. If you don't mind me asking were you west of mountain aire or down closer to sundre?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Caught the cutthroat on a deer hair dry fly and had another really big cutthroat on as well. Just before you cross Williams creek there is a long, deep stretch that follows the bend in the river and a long concrete birm. That's where I caught em. They seem to spook pretty easily though. The bulls I caught in the same spot with a brass bead head and maribou wooly bugger. Just sit on the rocks upstream and let the current take your line and fly out. Kinda like trolling almost. I caught a couple whitefish there as well.

The one day there I caught 3 fish, two big bulls and a big cuttroat, the two days out after that I caught nothing. Would be nice to fish on the opposite side of the river there.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 08-01-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Caught the cutthroat on a deer hair dry fly and had another really big cutthroat on as well. Just before you cross Williams creek there is a long, deep stretch that follows the bend in the river and a long concrete birm. That's where I caught em. They seem to spook pretty easily though. The bulls I caught in the same spot with a brass bead head and maribou wooly bugger. Just sit on the rocks upstream and let the current take your line and fly out. Kinda like trolling almost. I caught a couple whitefish there as well.

The one day there I caught 3 fish, two big bulls and a big cuttroat, the two days out after that I caught nothing. Would be nice to fish on the opposite side of the river there.
Thanks for the tip, I usually end up further west but may have to take a peek around there some day
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Filming on your phone also works very well, the iPhone allows you to sift through the video and screenshot the still of your choice (I'm sure other brands have this feature as well). You get a good quality picture as well as some memorable fishing footage all while minimizing handling time. Lifeproof case works incredibly well, great for underwater videos too!!