Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Pheasant Hunting

Has anyone been out to the Bigelow release site this year? If so hows the hunting compared to last year? We went down to Brooks for the opening days and had no problems finding and flushing birds. But lately at the Bigelow release site it seem like there isn't as many birds around and the ones that are there are stupid. Alot of them won't even flush and my lab ends up getting them. Cheaper on shells I guess!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

Default Bigelow

Was there on Thursday, it was brutal. Hunted about 4 hours and didn't flush anything, and the dog knows the drill, if they were there we would have found'em. Heard about 10 shots or so all day, hopefully get better.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Default I agree

I agree, released birds suck! I've got a dozen roosters this year and only one was a released bird: I could tell. A big gang of roosters standing around in the middle of the road not wanting to fly! Maybe they were thinking I was the food guy!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM

Thumbs down

there has been nothing at buck lake release site. its an embarrasment. i'll be calling fish and wildlife why they aren't releasing decent amount of birds. the ones that you do get are so skinny that its even scary to eat them.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
there has been nothing at buck lake release site. its an embarrasment. i'll be calling fish and wildlife why they aren't releasing decent amount of birds. the ones that you do get are so skinny that its even scary to eat them.
When I called the Canadian Pheasant company. They said they release birds daily in brooks at all sites. They release 4-6 days a week at Bigelow and Buffalo lake and are suppose to be releasing between 40-60 birds per day that they release..With that number of bird being released your sure think there would be more shooting. We've watched them release at Brooks a couple of time and counted around 30-40. And are doing so regularly. I don't know who raises the birds for Bigelow but they are not in very good shape in comparison.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Default birds

Ahhhhhhh, wild birds are the way to go.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
Buck Lake? Aren't there only three official release sites - Buffalo, Bigelow and Millicent? I know that they release a bunch of birds at the "unofficial" release sites all around Brooks and through to Milk River area to support local tourism but my impression was that there were no releases elsewhere in the province supported by the gov't.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Default Many release sites" No Birds "

I thought it was my imagination but I dont think those sites ...

around Brooks are getting the releases they normally get ...

Since I posted this , I have been to brooks ..

Basically they release what the govt buys , in excess of 12,000

birds for 2008 ...

If that isnt enough ... write your MLA ....

According to the CPC wild birds are down too many coyotes .

So it only makes sense that if wild birds are scarcer than stocked birds

will see more action ....

Last edited by Winch101; 10-31-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Banned

I understand that as a condition of sale they were required to release a certain number of birds for x number of years. It is also my understanding that the x number of years is over and that any birds released by the Can. Pheasant Co. now are directly paid for by the gov't. The question is "How many birds can we afford to have released?"
Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM

When we were at Brooks we watched them release at Rolling hills. The long pump (airport) and Milecent. The other release we never went to. Antelope creek
Bassano, Tilley and as usual the most overhunted release the Aquaduct.
We had no problem finding birds in Brooks. We were Hunting with a lab and find people tend not to hunt the cattails and heavier cover. It's harder hunting but is rewarding. While others search the grass we had non stop action in the ugly s#@t.
I had heard a rumor that the Canadian Pheasant company was bought out by Safeway.
Has anyone else heard something about this.

At Bigelow the fact are there just isn't as many Birds. The hunting pressure is higher than normal. We went there Thursday Friday Saterday last week and there was only 10 shots or less per day. We were fortunate to get 2 bird each day but hunted 4 hour each day...... Just not sure what is going on....
Old 10-30-2008, 05:49 PM

There is a thriving population of wild birds in the deep south portion of the province, i think there are other pockets of wild birds if you know where to look. If I had to rely on hunting pen raised birds i think I would quit hunting them altogether, it's just no fun.

Last edited by blackpheasant; 10-30-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM

Default Wild Birds

There is no doubt there are wild birds and they are in the heavy stuff mostly ... If you live in the deep south MRR , you are fortunate ,
but it is over a 3 hr. drive for us so the occasional release shoot is going to happen ....

I guess when it comes to pheasants its been a good day
when you get out alive ,with a bird and still have the dog ....

Thinkin about a trip to North Dakota , NW corner that is the hotspot at the moment ....
You know " Go big or go home "
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 AM

You guy's should stop the whinning, it is all of our tax and hunting dollars that go to release pheasants, that I personally would have to drive for 7 hours to enjoy so to hear that we (the alberta tax payer) are not releasing enough is ludacrise. and do not tell me that you're 6 dollar pheasant stamp covers that expense not even close. There are very few ruffed grouse this year compared to last should I phone and ask them to release a few more or should I suck it up as in all hunting it is not always going to be gravy years.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Where ya been ....

I wondered when you'd show up.....
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskybaron View Post
You guy's should stop the whinning, it is all of our tax and hunting dollars that go to release pheasants, that I personally would have to drive for 7 hours to enjoy so to hear that we (the alberta tax payer) are not releasing enough is ludacrise. and do not tell me that you're 6 dollar pheasant stamp covers that expense not even close. There are very few ruffed grouse this year compared to last should I phone and ask them to release a few more or should I suck it up as in all hunting it is not always going to be gravy years.

You are right there are good years and not so good for all game population levels. I think most of us on the bad years still get out and enjoy the whole hunting experience. With a 2 bird limit it sure is not about filling a freezer and with all the costs involved it is a hell of allot cheaper to just buy them. I think for most of us who hunt these great birds it's about the dog, the challenge they provide and the wonderful country we march through chasing them. And yes they are great tasting.

I do think we have a right to ask where the $15.38 we pay not $6 for a Pheasant licence goes. I know that there was a reason that the government started the Pheasant licence and that was to offset some of the costs from the hatchery but now they don't own it.....what? I have no problem paying for a Pheasant stamp but I hope they are continuing under the same premise and use this money for Pheasants in some way or another.

Does anyone know how many birds if any the Goverment pays to have released? I don't hunt the release sites but I think if we are to have them then they should be putting birds out.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Default back to Bigelow

Pulled into Bigelow main parking this morning at 9 and was the only truck, Saw a few other hunters a ways off. Beautiful morning, my choc lab worked very hard for a couple of hours but we only found 1 rooster. Managed a couple of huns on the drive home.

While the release sites are not the optimal hunt, when you can grab a couple hours away from the boss on a warm fall morning you do what you have to do. For me the results are secondary, the two birds I can get barely feeds my brood. It's more about being outdoors, the exercise and the look on the dog's face doing what she loves.

Look out BP, heading to Taber area for a two day hunt next week...sk
Old 10-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

rae61 - a quick check of the hunter harvest stats from last year and a very rough estimate put us at 6000 pheasant hunters. That is about $96000 in revenue. At the pen, mature cock pheasant sell for $20 or more. The gov't is paying to have these birds transported for hours and then released. At $20/bird that is only 4800 birds that the tag revenue will pay for. There have traditionally been far more birds than that released. The pheasant hunt is heavily subsidized - please don't ask for an accounting of where your money is going lest someone thinks that we (pheasant hunters) should actually pay our own way.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM

Vindalbakken - Thanks for those numbers, I’m not sure the Government pays the $20 per bird that you or I would. I never thought that the Pheasant license covered the complete costs incurred in releasing birds. Does the government still have a contract with the Canadian Pheasant company to release birds? If so how many and for how long is it year to year will they discontinued this?

I don't agree that the Pheasant hunt is heavily subsidized, only the released birds are and they are only a part of the total Pheasant hunt in this province. I would like to know the total spent on the releasing of Pheasants so there can be a discussion on whether this is the best use of the money, why not try to get the biggest bang for the limited money that there is available.

"lest someone thinks that we (pheasant hunters) should actually pay our own way."

I have no problem paying my way, I'm sure like you; I do belong to several conservation groups that directly work at improving our Pheasant populations. I don’t think we will ever get back to the numbers of birds that there was in the 1950 and 60’s but I strongly believe that habitat, habitat is a lasting solution to helping pheasant numbers over the long term.

Having said all that I'm looking forward chasing some birds this weekend. Good luck to all heading out.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

I hate to throw a downer into this, but what I meant by subsidized is that the gov't pays a substantial amount to release birds so that there will be birds to be found. If the release program were shut down entirely I believe that it would not be very long before there would be almost no pheasant hunting in this province. The tourism industry that is built around the pheasant season will continue to be supported by the gov't. so I do not believe the releases will be shut down. They could not afford the loss of corporate revenue. There isn't the will nor the money to make the changes to agricultural practice and habitat that are necessary to make the pheasant a plentiful, self sustaining resource. Suppose the cost of releasing birds is 15,000 x 20 dollars - 300,000 dollars. At a payment of $40/acre for habitat retention similar to the successful CRP program in the US that would make the annual payments on 45 quarter sections of land. Currently there are 6000 hunters being supported by release money with birds spread across the south of the province. With some hunting on the adjoining quarters making an even 60 quarter sections that means that 100 hunters would need to occupy each of the quarter sections of pheasant habitat for the hunting season.

Unless the Canadian Pheasant Co. is making a donation to the people of the province I wouldn't doubt that the price per bird released must be close to that $20/bird mark with transportation etc.

Disclaimer - all numbers I have posted are speculation - I do not know what the real numbers are. The info is not readily available from the gov't.

Last edited by Vindalbakken; 10-31-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM

A lot of the alledged "wild birds" are a result of the program...
Not only do they release cock pheasants in the hunting season but come spring they release a healthy number of hens in the surrounding areas to benifit this "wild population".....
Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 PM

i dont shoot phesants but i do hunt for partridge in the buffalo lake area. and i tell you what, i seen 6 coyotes in one morning. all on private fields next to the release area. of course with no permission to shoot its hard to control the coyote pop.
i guess its time to dust off the .223 and take a chance!!!!!
jsut my $0.02
Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Default release sites

Well here we go again the only purpose the release sites provide is to keep the gunners (notice I didn't say hunters) away from the wild birds and concentrate the gunners in one area and by the way that was a actual policy by Fish and Wildlife. No one can honestly say that release sites are quality hunts and keep a straight face. I live south of Brooks 50 min. and you couldn't pay me to visit the sites there. I also get tired of equating successful hunting with the numbers of dead birds. The only argument one could have is to give the first time hunters a opportunity to have a positive hunt and in so doing encourage them in the sport but that would even wear out.
Just got back from my 3 rd. trip to Froid MT. and again did not get a limit but thats hunting. Allways saw plenty of birds in natural habitat in one case 100 plus lifting off before I or the dogs could got into them but the sight was worth the trip in its self. Was in a area were there was lots of hunters but never ran into one in the field and I covered a lot of country walking behind my dogs as my old joints can attest to. Some of the blocks of lands are in excess of 10,000 acres with public access. Hunters are not a dirty word there and generally very welcome even on the private lands due to a differant mind set. The influx of hunters in the area is a welcome source of needed income to the local economy.
The sooner the release sites are gone and the Bird Hunters are forced to deal with the real issue of restoration of habitat and public access the sooner pheasant hunters will benefit. Unfortunatly it does not sound like it will happen in my life time so I will continue to go south for quality hunting. Find pic's of 2 tired and sore wirehair's and a few wild pheasants these birds were taken on private land and the farmer welcomed me on and I had no conecctions to get access. Thats the way it sould be. Sorry for the rant ...........puphood1

Last edited by puphood1; 01-05-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Elitist

Being a relativily new " Hunter " to southern alberta , I am

very happy for release sights .... So I find the last post to be

insulting and most definitely displaying elitist attitudes that make

most non hunters think this sport is a crock.....

Your entitled to your opinion as incorrect as it might be, actually what those release sights dont

need is anymore 3's dressed up as 9's ...they are definitely more for the bluejean and teeshirt gang ....

I just find it interesting that released birds are being shot where only wild birds use to live .

There are a lot of those corporate stocked hunts going on within 50 miles of Brooks

in a year , so by fall theres a lot of loose birds available ....It is what it is , if only wild birds

were shot ,it would be slim pickens some years ...

I been listening to that build up the habitat line for 30 years , it is certainly not catching

on with the grain farmers or the cattle ranchers for that matter ...I think the city crowd is big on it ...

Last edited by Winch101; 11-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Hey puphood1, I for one am glad you are going down to the US of A to hunt there pheasants, I've done the North Dakota thing too and ya some pretty good hunting, but i've actually found a sweet spot right here at home that is better, where the wild roosters are plentiful year after year and the scenery is fantastic, it took us several years to find this place and overall the hunting experience is like none other and the business people in that town like our business too. These places still exist in this great province and I don't have to deal with them damn yanks, happy hunting down there in US of A, I'm stayin right here.....
Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Hey puphood1, I for one am glad you are going down to the US of A to hunt there pheasants, I've done the North Dakota thing too and ya some pretty good hunting, but i've actually found a sweet spot right here at home that is better, where the wild roosters are plentiful year after year and the scenery is fantastic, it took us several years to find this place and overall the hunting experience is like none other and the business people in that town like our business too. These places still exist in this great province and I don't have to deal with them damn yanks, happy hunting down there in US of A, I'm stayin right here.....
Well real glad you found your one sweet spot and keep going back to it and as you said it took you several years to find it so you better be mum about it......puphood1
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM

The releasing of male pheasants in the fall is meant simply as a “put and take” hunt very few will survive to breed next spring. Check out this link and see what Pheasants Forever says about pen raised birds. http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/stocking.jsp
I understand what puphood1 is saying, I avoid the release sites for many reasons but those reasons are my own and other hunters have their reasons as to why they enjoy them and I respect that. The release sites serve a purpose; you have unrestricted access you know that birds are there.. as long as the truck made it’s rounds.

Long term Pheasants numbers will not increase in this province to any measurable amount due to the releasing of birds. Also checkout this link http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page...tofhunting.jsp and see what effect hunting has on the pheasant population. I think some will disagree or simply refuse to believe it but I think that Pheasants Forever is a very credible organization
Old 11-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Being a relativily new " Hunter " to southern alberta , I am

very happy for release sights .... So I find the last post to be

insulting and most definitely displaying elitist attitudes that make

most non hunters think this sport is a crock.....

Your entitled to your opinion , actually what those release sights dont

need is anymore 3's dressed up as 9's ...
Hey 101 you need a sharper hook than "displaying elitist attitudes" and insulted I didn't know you where that fragile.
And most non hunters don't need me to convince them about anything if they took a look at release sites and what went on it would be the only thing they needed to turn them against hunting period. But you are right about one thing I am entitled to my opinion..........puphood1
Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Released Birds

I have been involved in quite a few private release hunts and I can honestly say they are a blast. That being said there is no better thrill than having a wild rooster jump up in front of you when you least expect it and scare the bejezzus out of you. As was stated above the key to rebuilding and sustaining wild bird populations has and always will be habitat. If you can bring back the habitat you will bring back the birds. That being said the point made about the cost effectiveness of a project like CRP in a province where only 6000 pheasant tags were purchased.. well it is hard to justify it to the average tax payer. That is why it is the responsibility of hunters to become part of organizations such as DU and PP that use your donations towards conserving and rebuilding habitat. As a side note released birds do nothing for the wild bird population.. don't quote me on it but I think the statistic is 5-10% survival rate and of that percentage 5-10% breed... not exactly numbers that make you jump with joy. On a happier note I was driving around down in Southern Alberta on sunday morning in the area where I hunt and managed to see 50+ pheasants in a morning (there are no release site where I hunt)... didn't have a dog.. or a little brother around though so I let them enjoy the 20 plus weather in peace.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Em! View Post
On a happier note I was driving around down in Southern Alberta on sunday morning in the area where I hunt and managed to see 50+ pheasants in a morning (there are no release site where I hunt)... didn't have a dog.. or a little brother around though so I let them enjoy the 20 plus weather in peace.
Just wondering, how do you know?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Wild Bird gong shows

I apologise for that I have had to tone down my retoric since the passing of our dog mentor ..

I have had the privilige if you want to call it that to hunt on some of what is purported to be some of the best pheasant cover in the eastern region ... Man it was like Iraq on a bad day ...Guys driving their trucks
up the lease roads , gunfire from the main road ...nonsense I have yet to see on a release sight .

I have edited my first post ....To each his own ... all I know I see a lot of the BOB ALLAN crowd at these release sites ...