Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Default Clams

I see freshwater clams in many of my fishing holes. Are these edible? Anyone here ever tried them?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Banned

No, they aren't. They filter the toxins from the water and you stand a good chance of getting really sick from them.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 PM

I ate them a few times from clean water in northern Ontario. Like a muscle but tougher. They are a filter, just like their salt water cousins. Do you know where your salt water clams come from? How far from sewer outlets?
Cook thoroughly. From what I've read bacteria seems to be more of a concern than chemical contaminents.
Enjoy!
Brad

Last edited by bsmitty27; 06-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM

HunterDave provides good advice on the matter. Many lakes support freshwater mussel (not actually clams) populations but you should not consume them.
Mussels filter feed rather indiscriminately and ingest whatever planktonic algae exist in the water column. Mussels from low nutrient lakes feed primarily on harmless algae and likely wouldn't make you sick.
However, mussels from higher nutrient lakes with planktonic algae dominated by cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) are another matter.
Cyanobacterial toxins can accumulate to a small extent. More importantly though, the mussels actually don't digest most cyanobacteria and rather compact the healthy cyanobacteria cells/colonies into pseudofeces that are excreted. When consuming mussels collected from cyanobateria impacted lakes, you are also likely to consume the cyanobacteria in the gut of the mussels and the toxins contained within. The liver toxin, microcystin, that is commonly produced in Alberta Lakes is stable to heat and will not degrade or breakdown with boiling.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Do you know where your salt water clams come from? How far from sewer outlets?
Cook thoroughly. From what I've read bacteria seems to be more of a concern than chemical contaminents.
Enjoy!
Brad
The harvest of saltwater clams is strictly regulated by DFO and monitored by CFIA.
Who's testing your freshwater clams??As posted,thorough cooking won't protect you from paralytic shellfish poisoning(PSP).
Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

I know farmers who ate them from the Pembina River.

They would soak the clams (mot mussels) in a pail of water and have them clean out their excurrent siphons.

Then they would boil them.

I was told they were like eating a rubber ball after boiling.

They made a good protein additive for chickens and pigs.