Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Need opinions on pontoons

Hey guys if you had 1000 budget for a pontoon.....give or take a few bucks then what would you buy?
So far ive considered these
http://www.basspro.com/Outcast-Fish-...duct/10227010/
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I understand theres cheaper ones but I really want the troll motor mount as I may eventually get one for larger windy lakes.

If you know of a cheaper better value one please let me know.
That said what are your opinions?
I should also add that I may install a fish finder too
thanks!
Cheers

Last edited by Calgaryguy1977; 05-31-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM

http://www.fishlanderpontoons.com I haven't read anything more than good reviews. They are located in BC. I'm getting the Pelican $525.00
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osedma View Post
http://www.fishlanderpontoons.com I haven't read anything more than good reviews. They are located in BC. I'm getting the Pelican $525.00
Sweet, keep em coming....I want to make sure im getting the right one lol. Does that one have an outboard mount? I didnt see one
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Hey guys if you had 1000 budget for a pontoon.....give or take a few bucks then what would you buy?
So far ive considered these
http://www.basspro.com/Outcast-Fish-...duct/10227010/
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I understand theres cheaper ones but I really want the troll motor mount as I may eventually get one for larger windy lakes.

If you know of a cheaper better value one please let me know.
That said what are your opinions?
I should also add that I may install a fish finder too
thanks!
Cheers
I'd go with something from Outcast, I own the Fishcat Panther and haven't had any problems with it. The thing I like about Outcast is, Wholesale sports
carries all the accesories and replacement parts for Outcast pontoons. It might be a pain if you really need a part but have to wait a couple weeks for it to ship from the manufacturer, should you go with a different brand. I lost an oar stop for one of my oars a few weeks, I had it replaced the next day. My pontoon has a good spot on the back of the frame to mount a motor as well, I haven't done so though.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I'd go with something from Outcast, I own the Fishcat Panther and haven't had any problems with it. The thing I like about Outcast is, Wholesale sports
carries all the accesories and replacement parts for Outcast pontoons. It might be a pain if you really need a part but have to wait a couple weeks for it to ship from the manufacturer, should you go with a different brand. I lost an oar stop for one of my oars a few weeks, I had it replaced the next day. My pontoon has a good spot on the back of the frame to mount a motor as well, I haven't done so though.
Thanks for the info man! I must ask if youve floated a river with it? Would a pontoon boat be safe to drift the bow with, for example?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM

Absolutely its safe to float the bow! I've done two trips recently down the bow and its awesome! My pontoon floats in an 1" or 1.5" of water, not many places you wouldn't be able to take it, which is another good point. Find out how much water it'll float in when shopping. They are also great in small reservoirs. I've enjoyed fishing 10 times more since having a pontoon boat in my arsenal. It's a super relaxing way to fish, and there are so many accesories for them that the possibilities are endless.

There are a small group of us in Calgary with pontoons that fish together so we can accomodate rides back to our vehicles etc, if we're floating the bow. PM me when you buy one if you're interested in going out
Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Absolutely its safe to float the bow! I've done two trips recently down the bow and its awesome! My pontoon floats in an 1" or 1.5" of water, not many places you wouldn't be able to take it, which is another good point. Find out how much water it'll float in when shopping. They are also great in small reservoirs. I've enjoyed fishing 10 times more since having a pontoon boat in my arsenal. It's a super relaxing way to fish, and there are so many accesories for them that the possibilities are endless.

There are a small group of us in Calgary with pontoons that fish together so we can accomodate rides back to our vehicles etc, if we're floating the bow. PM me when you buy one if you're interested in going out
Eff I love pontooning the bow. Now that it's runoff I miss it so much. All the runs you can hit which normally you can't while walking and wading.

I use a scadden outlaw x5. I've seen people floating in inflatable mattresses so I'm sure even a home made raft made from pop bottles would work
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Scadden or out cast
Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Outcast or scadden. I wouldn't consider the colorado one an option.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Outcast or scadden. I wouldn't consider the colorado one an option.
What is wrong with a Colorado? I've had one for 3 years now and never a problem. Everyone who sees it is suitably impressed.

I know a few years ago some people were running them down but do you personally know of anyone ever having problems with them? It is one of those "a friend of a friend who lives next door to my second cousing says they are no good"

It has more storage than anything else I've seen and a really good metal basket and motor mount.

There was a thread on here not to long ago about them being on sale at Costco.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

I thinks more around longevity, replacements parts, etc. With Scadden and Outcast, etc. the parts are readily available... With the Cost co stuff?! Who knows!!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 PM

Ya im leaning a little more toward the Outcast because ive seen them in action and they look like theyre made from good material.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM

I have an outcast one of the smaller versions of the pontoon, I love it. I used a friends 30lb thrust trolling motor on it and it works great, I recently got a 40lb thrust motor but have not tried it out. I also mounted a fish finder on it. But the motor on it works great! Even if you want to fly fish in small lakes or maybe even rivers with not much current you should buy flippers because it helps you stay where you want without using the oars. the netting that covers over your legs would be great for stripping for you don't get your line all tangled when you catch a fish or want to cast out again!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM

I have the outcast 9IR

Very stable and comfortable on the rivers and lake.

It has a place to mount trolling motor which I have done. I built a piece of wood that sits on the back for the battery to sit and it seems to track pretty good when trolling.

Pontoons are awesome, seem very sturdy, valves also seem like good quality. There are no seems protruding which you could catch on something which I like.

400lb rating which is important if you plan to add a heavy ass motor. Some cheaper ones only have 200-250lb ratings.

If you don't have a truck you'll need to break it down and build again. Build takes about 10-20 minutes when you get used to it.

I also put the swivel seat on there for $7 for added comfort.

You should be able to get everything below for your $1000 budget

Discovery 9IR $650 at wholesale
Seat swivel $7 at wholesale screws and nuts $4 at Rona
Bass pro 30lb motor $99 on sale at basspro
115 ah marine battery at Costco $99
Battery charger $30 can tire
Rope for anchor and screw clamp $30 at Rona
Outcast flippers at fishing hole $30
Pump $20 Coleman at Walmart

Leaves Enough left over some beer.

Options
Electric pump, $20 Coleman at Walmart. Saves about 5 minutes and your back when filling toons.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM

I bought the Colorado xt at wholesale sports a while back for $699. I ordered it online
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM

I got my 9footer at costco for $319.00 with motor mount,storage basket and anchor system. Except for being a little on the heavy side it's a pretty sweet rig.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
I got my 9footer at costco for $319.00 with motor mount,storage basket and anchor system. Except for being a little on the heavy side it's a pretty sweet rig.
If I am not mistaken, that is the same one that Alberta83 and I both bought for $700

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 AM

I've had the Costco model for 2 years and its been great. When I got it there was a rip in the seat and they shipped me a new one that I received in 48 hrs
Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 AM

The same company (Classic Accessories) that makes the Colorado also make a couple of cheaper light weight models that are not very solid for heavier people. They had a tendency to break at the welds on the frame.

The cheap models are the Cimarron and Kenai and should not be compared to the Colorado that I was looking at in Costco. This is where the bad press is coming from and unjustly IMO.

Having said that, I had a Cimarron for years and the only complaint I have is that it blows around the lake making it hard to fish out of when it is windy.

I use a Water Skeeter that is a light weight lake model and love it. My son has the 8ft Out Cast Streamer model and it is obviously made with more solid components but is a fair bit heavier to carry.

I go to a lot of pot hole lakes and some have a 100 yard or so carry. I often hear people (especially older people) complaining about the weight. I can easily carry mine a couple hundred yards however the Out Cast gets heavy really quick when trying to carry it alone.

The lake models sit lower and are not affected by the wind on lakes and are much more comfortable to fish in on still waters. The river models sit high and have the raised fronts on the pontoons. Great if you get into some rapids to make sure they nose doesn't dive and heavier on the bottoms if you hit some rocks.

I guess in a perfect world a person would have one of each but I would be hesitant to go over 8 or 9 feet in length.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Hey CalgaryGuy. I purchased my first pontoon just a few weeks ago. I went for the fishcat ir10 because I can stand and cast from the casting platform. Its super sturdy for my 165lb frame, gear and motor and battery. I just have a 30lbs electric but it pushes the boat along nicely. Looking into a small 2-4 hp gas so I can get into some of the sloughs and bigger lakes I fish in BC. The only drawback I've found is that the frame is big and heavy. A guy on on of the Washington state forums has made his own aluminum frame from pipe and speedfix fittings. Something I'm looking at doing.

The guy who owns fishlander operates out of Burnaby. Aluminum framed chinese made models. If you look on Vancouver craiglist you'll see his adverts offering pontoons cheaper than his website. As he's about 10 minutes from my house I did check them out but passes.

Fishcat 10Ir. Get the stripping basket and you're on!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Here's a link to the forum. Hope the Mods let it slide for info purposes.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...tand-up.77445/