Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Has anyone looked up the definition of archery? Seeing as how potty is debating the merits of xbows being included in archery season. And seeing as how P&Y is the furthest thing from having any bearing on Albertas hunting seasons, it would probably serve us all well to learn what 'archery' is defined as. Case in point, by the definition of what our 'bow' season is legally referred to as, xbows absolutely belong in archery season. The big arguemet is xbows arent bows....well based on srd classifying it as an archery season, it doesnt matter what pottys definition of a bow is, as xbows are in fact classified as archery equipment.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Has anyone looked up the definition of archery? Seeing as how potty is debating the merits of xbows being included in archery season. And seeing as how P&Y is the furthest thing from having any bearing on Albertas hunting seasons, it would probably serve us all well to learn what 'archery' is defined as. Case in point, by the definition of what our 'bow' season is legally referred to as, xbows absolutely belong in archery season. The big arguemet is xbows arent bows....well based on srd classifying it as an archery season, it doesnt matter what pottys definition of a bow is, as xbows are in fact classified as archery equipment.
From the regs, read them sometime!

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

A Bowhunting Permit, as required by bowhunters using conventional archery equipment, is not required by persons who are hunting with cross-bows. ( XGUNS, for those who want the proper term)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.
Bla Bla Bla
Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Bla Bla Bla
You should add the pouting smiley for more effect! LOL
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Potty my point is that srd is labelling our archery season as one thing, but going against the definition of what they label our bow season as.

Youre missing the point entirely. A small group of people are utilizing a self initiated definition as to what a true bow is. Its archaic actually....and pathetic really lol. Makes me smile to know itll all come crashing down sooner than later!

Same old same old. Guy whines because mule is put on draw because he doesnt have the ability to harvest a class size whitetail with a bow. Guy then whines because inevitably xbows will be included in archery season and is sour because he will now have to include few hundred more people into 'his' season therefore further inhibiting his ability to take any sort of wall hanger.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Potty my point is that srd is labelling our archery season as one thing, but going against the definition of what they label our bow season as.

Youre missing the point entirely. A small group of people are utilizing a self initiated definition as to what a true bow is. Its archaic actually....and pathetic really lol. Makes me smile to know itll all come crashing down sooner than later!

Same old same old. Guy whines because mule is put on draw because he doesnt have the ability to harvest a class size whitetail with a bow. Guy then whines because inevitably xbows will be included in archery season and is sour because he will now have to include few hundred more people into 'his' season therefore further inhibiting his ability to take any sort of wall hanger.
I hope your talking about me in that last paragraph....because I have no problem , in continuing to make you look wrong and stupid.....lmfao
Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Bla Bla Bla
Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Look at the length of seson in Ohio. I posted it earlier in this thread.

There are numerous reasons. Just read all the Xgun threads.
Length of season has nothing interesting to add as Ohio classifies vertical bows and crossbows as archery and the season is not divided.

So I missed your point here ?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
once again potty. Stop using your self initiated 'xgun' moniker. Have some respect for the guys that do use the weapon.

Should we start using a description such as assisted bow when describing a compound?

A Bow with Training Wheels?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Length of season has nothing interesting to add as Ohio classifies vertical bows and crossbows as archery and the season is not divided.

So I missed your point here ?
Since you didn't want to read it the first time, i'll re post it!

Ohio big game season! ( Whitetail only)

- Muzzleloader season Jan 4 - Jan 7
- Gun season Dec 2 - Dec 8 ( and actually its only shotgun from my understanding)

- Archery season Sept 28 - Feb 2

In the Gun season they have 400,000 hunters for 6 days. Muzzy season is 250,000 hunters for 3 days.

In a state where RIFLES have no season. If rifles didn't have a minimum 1 month season here, perhaps we would be have a different discussion. Ohio also need a boost in recruitment. The Ohio model is no way similar to Alberta

Is that what we want here?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Banned

Just whitetails in Ohio eh? #1 way to hunt whitetails is....tree stand or blind...and since that seems to be a better type of hunting for a clumsy heavy crossbow...stands to reason success could favor the crossbow a smidge, I digress, a bow is a bow is a bow
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Just whitetails in Ohio eh? #1 way to hunt whitetails is....tree stand or blind...and since that seems to be a better type of hunting for a clumsy heavy crossbow...stands to reason success could favor the crossbow a smidge, I digress, a bow is a bow is a bow
really stinky? you think xguns were included in ohio, because a bow is a bow?

I'm willing to bet it had more to do with NO rifles and a short shot gun season . I'm sure it doesn't hurt that 10 point Archery is located there to now!

Take rifles out of Alberta and shorten the season...Economics alone would justify it.

BUT, you would be the First inline to cry, how Xguns shortend your rifle season..wouldn't you? LOL

and a Xgun is a Xgun is a Xgun...NOT bow!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Banned

Even where the odds r stacked in the crossbow favor over the compound and they still run together like.......wait for it.......bows.

If an area can't handle a lot of centerfire action due to various factors like game to hunter numbers or density of people's homes etc. Then the bows make sense, not sure what u arguing there...we live and hunt in a zone like that...the bowzone.

We can afford to lump the bows together in this province. Manage properly and I'm all good with however things gotsta be.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow.
maybe you should read them....and pay attention. note the bolded part.

seems to me the regs are saying that a crossbow is indeed a bow, just not one authorized to hunt in alberta in a season specifically designated.

lets have a look at what the feds say being as they are the guys who get to decide what is and isnt a gun in this country.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a4

dive into that link and you will find this paragraph.....

Q5. Do the licensing and registration requirements apply to bows?

A5. Crossbows that can be aimed and fired with one hand and crossbows with an overall length of 500 mm or less are prohibited. You cannot lawfully possess or acquire a prohibited crossbow.

You do not need a valid licence or registration certificate to possess any other type of bow, including a crossbow that is longer than 500 mm and that requires the use of both hands. Criminal Code provisions making it an offence to acquire a crossbow without a valid licence were never brought into force.

If you plan to use a bow to hunt, please check provincial hunting regulations for information on hunting licence requirements and restrictions that may apply to the use of bows. For example, some provinces do not allow crossbows for hunting.

that last paragraph seems pretty clear that the government of canada defines a crossbow as a bow and not a gun of any sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery

this one will show crossbows listed as a type of bow.

there really is no debate about what the tool is....only opinions on where it belongs. in my opinion there are some tools involved in the discussion though and i know where i say they belong......

as far as the age old argument......yawn.....this has been done to death around here.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 PM

From the regs

Persons hunting big game with a cross-bow must use an authorized cross-bow and arrow (bolt). An authorized cross-bow is one that requires 100 pounds or more of pull to draw the string or cable to its cocked position. There is no restriction on arrow length ...... ( doesn't say it's a bow anywhere)

Looks like Authorized, by definition means Legal. By Authorized, they are referring to legal description of requirements required.....It says nothing about a Xgun being a Bow

But nice try... Did you pay attention??

I guess a bow, that isn't held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.).

Isn't authorized!!!!

Last edited by pottymouth; 06-18-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I guess a bow, that isn't held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.).

Isn't authorized!!!!
there you go.....you got it right. a BOW that isnt authorized to hunt with in alberta. now carry on.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM

Potty, at this point Im thinking many guys have just tuned you out. You are the epitomy of what far too many (but not all) members of the ABA are turning into. You twist facts, twist arguements, and convolute any arguement that may 'infringe on your season'. To put it simply....you post full on BS.

"I've never been part of the Aba, and never will be part of them! All for my own reasons....so I could care less ." (taken from a previous crossbow initiated thread)

^^^^Like this stuff!

In that post you state youve never been a member of the ABA......Yet a quick search of some things shows you have created threads asking which members will be attending the ABA banquets and whether you may or may not see them there?????

Youre a smoke blower man. You have no credibility whatsoever and frankly your perverbial foot is jammed so far down your throat its hilarious.

make up your mind already. Decide whether you are in it for "the good of the game", or for the good of yourself. figure it out champ.

Last edited by jryley; 06-18-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Since you didn't want to read it the first time, i'll re post it!

Ohio big game season! ( Whitetail only)

- Muzzleloader season Jan 4 - Jan 7
- Gun season Dec 2 - Dec 8 ( and actually its only shotgun from my understanding)

- Archery season Sept 28 - Feb 2

In the Gun season they have 400,000 hunters for 6 days. Muzzy season is 250,000 hunters for 3 days.

In a state where RIFLES have no season. If rifles didn't have a minimum 1 month season here, perhaps we would be have a different discussion. Ohio also need a boost in recruitment. The Ohio model is no way similar to Alberta

Is that what we want here?
We were discussing you questioning myself stating the success rate of vertical bows vs. crossbows being near identical... Again Potty, Ohio's archery season allows both, same period of time as you state above and there is near no difference in success rate per weapon...

Limiting any season would certainly hurt some who chose a particular weapon, no argument there.... So those who chose the crossbow I am certain feel this way in Alberta's current system..

As our population ages, time becomes limited, some would benefit with adding these crossbows to the existing archery season...

Done with this one, best of luck Potty on your season.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Potty, at this point Im thinking many guys have just tuned you out. You are the epitomy of what far too many (but not all) members of the ABA are turning into. You twist facts, twist arguements, and convolute any arguement that may 'infringe on your season'. To put it simply....you post full on BS.

"I've never been part of the Aba, and never will be part of them! All for my own reasons....so I could care less ." (taken from a previous crossbow initiated thread)

^^^^Like this stuff!

In that post you state youve never been a member of the ABA......Yet a quick search of some things shows you have created threads asking which members will be attending the ABA banquets and whether you may or may not see them there?????

Youre a smoke blower man. You have no credibility whatsoever and frankly your perverbial foot is jammed so far down your throat its hilarious.

make up your mind already. Decide whether you are in it for "the good of the game", or for the good of yourself. figure it out champ.
Lol,

Hey goof. You don't have to be part of any organization or association to check out their banquets . It's opportunity to take in, what they are about. All you gotta do is purchase a ticket..... I've been to sci, aba, fnaws, pheasants forever and Sarcee fish game banquets....not a part of any...but carry on.....

Ps. Did you find the pics you were searching for? You know the ones where you jammed both feet in your mouth, in regards to my hunting accomplishments?

Stings don't it!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
We were discussing you questioning myself stating the success rate of vertical bows vs. crossbows being near identical... Again Potty, Ohio's archery season allows both, same period of time as you state above and there is near no difference in success rate per weapon...

Limiting any season would certainly hurt some who chose a particular weapon, no argument there.... So those who chose the crossbow I am certain feel this way in Alberta's current system..

As our population ages, time becomes limited, some would benefit with adding these crossbows to the existing archery season...

Done with this one, best of luck Potty on your season.
That's the unfortunate part of getting older, we sometimes lose things we used to do. I know I will be there to very soon.

Good luck to you to.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
there you go.....you got it right. a BOW that isnt authorized to hunt with in alberta. now carry on.
Ya a compound bow pulling 30 lbs isn't authorized ...

And in your link, it actually says.....

If you plan to use a bow to hunt, please check provincial hunting regulations for information on hunting licence requirements and restrictions that may apply to the use of bows. For example, some provinces do not allow crossbows for hunting.

Provincial hunting regs, are the rules. In our provincial rules, it doesn't state anywhere that a xgun is a bow. Only that archery equipment is defined by muscular power. And xguns aren't allowed in the archery season, unless the person is handicapped.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
once again potty. Stop using your self initiated 'xgun' moniker. Have some respect for the guys that do use the weapon.

Should we start using a description such as assisted bow when describing a compound?
lol. Potty uses the best bait. I own a xgun, hunt with it and it is an incredible tool. I predict I'll kill some animals with my xgun this season. I use assisted and unassisted bows as well. No offense intended, none taken.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
lol. Potty uses the best bait. I own a xgun, hunt with it and it is an incredible tool. I predict I'll kill some animals with my xgun this season. I use assisted and unassisted bows as well. No offense intended, none taken.
your a man ahead of your time

I know , I know baiting isn't allowed in Alberta either, But it's to much fun, and easy with the simple folk!

p.s you said Xgun, empty your Pm box! Incoming...lol
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Gotcha, I'm on it...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...kills-with-one

A quick google turns up this real quick...good read from hunters in BC where crossbow allowed and many guys who hunt with them along with compounds and recurves giving opinion to the question on the tools effectiveness.

So of the provinces in Canada that run the crossbow as just another bow we have;

BC
Ontario
NWT
Quebec (most zones)
PEI
Nunavet
Nova Scotia

And just like in the bazillion states they r allowed, and the provinces they r allowed...they r just another bow.....yet somehow Alberta will be impacted so hugely they shouldn't be allowed? Total crock potty, like BC doesn't have really diverse game and terrain etc. Don't get me wrong, pretty awesome province but we somehow we r so fragile and extra special diverse that the crossbow becomes some evil mass killing machine? Just can't buy into to that potty. One of the provinces with caribou down east won't allow the use of crossbow on caribou...everything else yes...anyhow, just an example, worried about antelope or sheep? Don't use em there if concern...so not like there aren't plenty of ways or species this tool can't fit in no sweat....but they got muleys, elk and sheep in BC and listen to what their own guys with actual hunt experience say in thread above...I remember reading same stuff everywhere they play together...it's just another bow option.
Stinky. Factual facts please.

PEI. LOL. There is no big game hunting in PEI. So, while I credit you on this fact, I take away any credit with the fact that there is no big game on the island.

Nova Scotia. Wrong again. Use of crossbows by certified hunters is legal for hunting all species that may be harvested with a bow or firearm except during the Special Open Seasons for Bowhunting.

Quebec. Has restrictions on the use of a crossbow.

USA. Most states do not allow unrestricted use of a crossbow.

Fact of the matter is: The majority of provinces in Canada do not support unrestricted use of crossbows. The majority of states in the USA do not support unrestricted use of crossbows.

Why?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
PEI. LOL. There is no big game hunting in PEI. So, while I credit you on this fact, I take away any credit with the fact that there is no big game on the island.
I recall that Stinky said crossbows are allowed, not allowed for big game. It could be that you can use them for yotes, geese, etc? Just sayin'.......
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I recall that Stinky said crossbows are allowed, not allowed for big game. It could be that you can use them for yotes, geese, etc? Just sayin'.......
My close friend is fresh to alberta from PEI. there is big game hunting in PEI. what a dumb post. Not yours dave, EHNTR's
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM

What do they classify as big game?

LC
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM

YOU GUYS ARE STILL GOING AT IT?!
BAHAHAHAHA!
It's like watching the national championships of tug of war for a month.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
My close friend is fresh to alberta from PEI. there is big game hunting in PEI. what a dumb post. Not yours dave, EHNTR's
Tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who you are!

Do you actually think before you talk, or just open your mouth to listen to yourself?

If your buddy is big game hunting in pei.... Your friend is a poacher....

Read the pei regs...do some research...google can be your friend.

You kill me, Jrolly

Lmao

For stinky and jrolly

http://www.gov.pe.ca/forestry/summary. ( under hunting and trapping summary)

http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/AF_HuntSum12.pdf

Canada goose is the biggest big game for hunting

Fox and yote for trapping...

What was fresh off the island poach..err hunting?

Last edited by pottymouth; 06-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
From the regs

Persons hunting big game with a cross-bow must use an authorized cross-bow and arrow (bolt). An authorized cross-bow is one that requires 100 pounds or more of pull to draw the string or cable to its cocked position. There is no restriction on arrow length ...... ( doesn't say it's a bow anywhere)

Looks like Authorized, by definition means Legal. By Authorized, they are referring to legal description of requirements required.....It says nothing about a Xgun being a Bow

But nice try... Did you pay attention??

Isn't authorized!!!!
doesn't say it's a bow anywhere....wrong again!