Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Default New to fly fishing

I want to get started fly fishing but don't know much about it. Just wondering if I could get some advise on a rod and gear to get started with probably could spend $200-300. I would likely be fishing NSR and the odd trout pond. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM

the fishin hole amundson combo is a solid deal imho
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM

Fishin Hole should be able to outfit you. They'll ask more questions about what kind of fish you intend to catch in the river.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
the fishin hole amundson combo is a solid deal imho
x2, I used it for my first couple years fly fishing. The reel is pretty decent, the only thing I'd suggest is buying different floating line than the line it comes with. The line it comes with doesn't always float and once I changed lines I hooked into more fish
Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM

A decent 6 wt package is a good place to start for most new flyfishers. I agree with JReed about the line... a good line and a mediocre line can make the difference between enjoying a new sport and just becoming frustrated. Concentrate more on the rod and line... for many freshwater applications, the reel is simply used to store your line, so you don't need to spend a lot on it necessarily.

I think that Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) offer some pretty decent gear if you're just getting started.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Banned

You will NEVER catch ANY fish unless you buy a Sage One for $750 and mount a $600 Islander reel on it spooled with $90 Airflo line and 20 bucks worth of backing.
Next you must have Simms G4 Guide waders ($700) and good wading boots so you don't slip and crack your melon and drown,but they can be picked up for only $200 or so?then you gotta get $200 polarized shades so you can see said rocks underwater...safety first yes?$3-400 for a Patagonia wading jacket so you don't get wet,catch a cold,and miss work,thus rendering yourself unable to pay for new fishing gear.
Now that your all suited up,yer gonna need a dozen each of at least 60 different fly patterns,and most of them in 3-4 different sizes to match the hatch.Now that you're catching fish,you'll need a soft rubber mesh,knotless,fish friendly,landing net,custom made from exotic laminated woods from the jungles of Borneo,because A)you don't want to hurt the fish and God forbid you might actually eat one of these fish that you spent 6 months salary to catch,and B) custom nets made from exotic imported wood just plain look cool,and all the other anglers that you meet on the river will KNOW by your exquisite tastes in gear that you are indeed a serious,knowledgeable fly angler.
Finally,after you've caught every trout in the Bow River that is possibly catchable within casting distance of shore,you will need a drift boat,preferably with a jet outboard,which you can justify with the money you will save on shuttles.....and if you don't already have one,you will also need a $60k 4x4 truck to launch and retrieve said boat from the treacherous paved boat launches.

Oh wait a sec....nah,you don't really NEED all that stuff....that's just what I tell my wife.

Actually pretty sound advice in previous posts,a decent TFO or Amundson combo will get you started just fine.....but beware,it can lead to anti-social behavior with an overwhelming desire to seek peace and solitude,impulsive spending,and a newfound fascination with creepy crawly aquatic bugs that borders on obsessive.

Welcome to flyfishing.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM

If you can make it down to Calgary for the day.

Best bang for the buck. $200.00 you get all day boot camp and you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fl...ing-boot-camp/
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
You will NEVER catch ANY fish unless you buy a Sage One for $750 and mount a $600 Islander reel on it spooled with $90 Airflo line and 20 bucks worth of backing.
Next you must have Simms G4 Guide waders ($700) and good wading boots so you don't slip and crack your melon and drown,but they can be picked up for only $200 or so?then you gotta get $200 polarized shades so you can see said rocks underwater...safety first yes?$3-400 for a Patagonia wading jacket so you don't get wet,catch a cold,and miss work,thus rendering yourself unable to pay for new fishing gear.
Now that your all suited up,yer gonna need a dozen each of at least 60 different fly patterns,and most of them in 3-4 different sizes to match the hatch.Now that you're catching fish,you'll need a soft rubber mesh,knotless,fish friendly,landing net,custom made from exotic laminated woods from the jungles of Borneo,because A)you don't want to hurt the fish and God forbid you might actually eat one of these fish that you spent 6 months salary to catch,and B) custom nets made from exotic imported wood just plain look cool,and all the other anglers that you meet on the river will KNOW by your exquisite tastes in gear that you are indeed a serious,knowledgeable fly angler.
Finally,after you've caught every trout in the Bow River that is possibly catchable within casting distance of shore,you will need a drift boat,preferably with a jet outboard,which you can justify with the money you will save on shuttles.....and if you don't already have one,you will also need a $60k 4x4 truck to launch and retrieve said boat from the treacherous paved boat launches.

Pure gold
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post

Oh wait a sec....nah,you don't really NEED all that stuff....that's just what I tell my wife.

Actually pretty sound advice in previous posts,a decent TFO or Amundson combo will get you started just fine.....but beware,it can lead to anti-social behavior with an overwhelming desire to seek peace and solitude,impulsive spending,and a newfound fascination with creepy crawly aquatic bugs that borders on obsessive.

Welcome to flyfishing.
Too funny , but so true! Thats the epitome of Bow River douches
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Hi. I hope noone minds me jumping on this thread as I'm new on here...

Have a good look at the TFO rods. Best bang for your buck and superb casting machines. For a reel you can do no worse than a Lamson Konic sized to your rod and an Airflo floating line.

Again, decide where and what you want to fish for but a 6wt is a good alround workhorse. You can fish nymph, wet, dry and streamers for most fish under 10lbs or like I did, needle fish and jacks from the shore in Mexico
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the tips. Will be making a visit to TFH soon
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 AM

Along with your fishing gear that a good fly shop can help you with please read you fishing regulations and learn about fish handling for catch and release.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
If you can make it down to Calgary for the day.

Best bang for the buck. $200.00 you get all day boot camp and you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fl...ing-boot-camp/
Looks like a great place and idea, but does this place still exsist? I tried calling serveral times last year and I also sent serveral e-mails with no responce. So the next best thing was to go to the southside Fishing Hole and I spent time picking Bo's brain on what to buy and for what I wanted to fish for.

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_man View Post
Looks like a great place and idea, but does this place still exsist? I tried calling serveral times last year and I also sent serveral e-mails with no responce.
weird, but yes Hansons is still there, I drive by it almost every day
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
weird, but yes Hansons is still there, I drive by it almost every day
I may try and give them a shout this year again, but with the lack of responce last year, it gave me a bad taste in regards to their customer service or lack there of.

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 AM

That's just how Hanson's operates... My exp. as well. They just don't pick up the phone or reply to emails... I guess they rely mostly on corporate clients and guide trips to survive...

Last edited by ÜberFly; 05-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.