Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Default new fly reel

Hey Guys,

I'm just starting to get into the fly game, I've been out a few times on a Cabellas combo set up but am looking to upgrade reel.

I had my heart set on a Pflueger Trion reel but was told that they stopped making extra spools for that reel. Is it possible to find them anywhere? Ebay hasn't shown any yet. Now that I've got that in mind I've been looking at Lamson Konic reels ... I'd like to stay between $100 - $160-70 sort of thing, I was wondering if any guys had an opinion on either reel or something similar that would work well for a guy starting out.

I am new to fly fishing and 70% of fishing is done on the Bow. The other 30% would be a mix of K - lakes and the smaller hike in lakes around them. Hopefully more streams and creeks as I get better and better.

Thanks guys, good luck out there.

Last edited by TMLhammy; 05-25-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

I've had a Konic 2 on my 5wt going into it's 4th season of hard use,no complaints other than internally it has a bit of "plasticy look" to it.Aside from that though,it's a nice lil reel for the money,nice drag with low start-up,stays adjusted, has seen 300+ days(?) of abuse,including punishing runs from several Atlantic salmon when my Hardy was being repaired and I used the K2 on my 8wt for a few days.That said,one of those salmon was 20+ lbs and near spooled me on 3 seperate runs but that lil Lamson put the brakes on her.....pretty sure it will and has handled ANY Bow R. trout with ease,lol.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM

I own a konic and have no complaints, its one of the best reels in your price range.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 PM

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/trout-ii-reel-series/ <-- smooth as butter reels.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM

I have a few Lamson's and have nothing bad to say about them. One of them is a Konic and has never failed me since day one. I'd buy another if I had a reason to.
You will be happy with your choice.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Wow thanks a lot for all the help right away boys! I've found a lot of good stuff on the Lamson website including maint. videos and warranty talk etc. Coupled with excellent reviews so far on here the Konic may be in the future.

Before I move completely away from the Pflueger Trion does anyone know much about them not making extra spools anymore? I love Pfluefer spin reels so I sort of feel like I know what I'm getting. Was I informed correctly that they are not being made anymore? Or is there a super secret fly shop I can make a trip to and stock up on one or two?

Thanks again guys - good luck out there
Old 05-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I've had a Konic 2 on my 5wt going into it's 4th season of hard use,no complaints other than internally it has a bit of "plasticy look" to it.
@grinr - that's funny you say that is the black piece on the back the plastic part? I was worried about it being a little flimsy and 'plasticy' haha
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
@FishingFrenzy - damn those are sharp looking! are the rules the same as golf? "You've gotta look good to play good" hahaha
Old 05-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Been fishing my 7 wt with a brand new Konic 2 and love it don't know why a person would buy a 300$ reel with these available and over 20 plus years of fly fishing ive been through a few good reels
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 PM

I have to say Redington Rise either the new one or the older one. The older one is a mid arbor and the one I have. I love it. It has caught many fish and has somewhat of a clicker in it. Plus it has a lifetime warranty so I'll never have to buy a new one.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 PM

What size of reel are you after? Greys makes the gx500 and gx700 which both are under $180. I use the gx700 and like it so far. 3 cassettes are included.

Let me know if you have questions...
Old 05-26-2013, 12:09 AM

I'm a big fan and user of Orvis reels. Great bang for the buck.

http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx...8&shop_id=7599
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I think I am will go Konic 2 and I will post pics of it's first fish. Cheers
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLhammy View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm just starting to get into the fly game, I've been out a few times on a Cabellas combo set up but am looking to upgrade reel.

I had my heart set on a Pflueger Trion reel but was told that they stopped making extra spools for that reel. Is it possible to find them anywhere? Ebay hasn't shown any yet. Now that I've got that in mind I've been looking at Lamson Konic reels ... I'd like to stay between $100 - $160-70 sort of thing, I was wondering if any guys had an opinion on either reel or something similar that would work well for a guy starting out.

I am new to fly fishing and 70% of fishing is done on the Bow. The other 30% would be a mix of K - lakes and the smaller hike in lakes around them. Hopefully more streams and creeks as I get better and better.

Thanks guys, good luck out there.
I am still a big fan of Teton reels, I have 3 Classic Tetons and 2 Tioga's. The Tiogas are not made anymore,but I see them occasionally on Ebay. There is a Teton Classic in a 5/6 wt currently on Ebay for $170 + $14 to Canada.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Teton-Cla...#ht_683wt_1141
Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 AM

IMO, the sage 1800 reel is the best value reel. It's only $140 and has a smooth drag