Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Default Saltwater fly fishing rods in Alberta

Thinking about heading down south to check out some rods and reels for saltwater fly fishing. Does cabela's or BPS have much of a selection, WSS in GP (2 hours south of me) doesn't have anything in the 12wt category, they said they would be willing to bring a rod in for me, but i want to see them befor i make a decision. If you guys could let me know what kind of stock they got on display that would be great, thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM

I would talk to some flyshops and get a good idea of the options available to you. Not sure about Edmonton but Calgary does have a few shops that cater to the salt crowd. Nice to talk to someone in a store who has actually fished saltwater. What are you going after with the 12? Tarpon?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

I beleive i saw a few in bps last time i was there dont know if they were as big as 12w though i wasent looking too hard. The guy at the counter did mention that he had been sw fishing before so he may be of help.why the 12w?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Fishtales man, they do a bunch of trips in the spring so they have a good stock
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_erickson View Post
Thinking about heading down south to check out some rods and reels for saltwater fly fishing. Does cabela's or BPS have much of a selection, WSS in GP (2 hours south of me) doesn't have anything in the 12wt category, they said they would be willing to bring a rod in for me, but i want to see them befor i make a decision. If you guys could let me know what kind of stock they got on display that would be great, thanks!
Give Troutfitters a call, they have Winston 12wt on sale right now
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM

12wt is for tarpon, already got a 9wt for bones. I know i can chase baby tarpon with my 9, but i would hate to have to pass up casting to a monster tarpon simply because i did not have the gear for it. If i end up down there this week i'll check out that fishtales place.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM

If you are going to fish tales there is also Country pleasures nearby, I prefer them personally as they are very helpful as well as Chris at bow river trout fitters. Both awesome stores and both have very good knowledge