Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Cost of building a 10' punt style boat and someone to make it?

Does anyone know what kind of cost I can expect for a really wide flat bottom 10' punt style boat and who could make me one?

I have been looking at jon boats and they just aren't wide enough for my liking.

I need something I can fit 2 people in that is pretty stable for standing up and can handle a 6hp gas motor once and awhile.

I want this boat for personal fly fishing and taking my 3 year old out once and awhile.

I wouldn't mind being able to float some slow rivers with it and be able to row it like a drift boat.

I am hoping to add a couple swivel seats to it as well at 4-6 scotty rod holder bases so I can add rod holders and anchor pulleys that are easily removable for transportation.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

If you google boat building kits/plans,you'll find infinite choices,designs etc.You should be able to find plans online that range from FREE to $50?
I would guess if you took a DIY approach $3-400 in materials will give you lots of plan options?10-12ft sheets of marine plywood will be the biggest cost,everthing else is relatively inexpensive.If you able to or learn how to do scarf joints,you can save a fair bit by using standard 8x4 sheets.
If you have to pay somebody to build it.....I'd say triple your final cost,just guessing?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM

I wish I had the skills and tools to build one myself.

I have a picture of one from online that is exactly what I want but it is way out of my price range so I was hoping I could find someone locally or find somewhere locally to have one built or buy one.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Might think about a used 12' fibreglass trihull, they should be stable and can be had for cheap from what I've seen. Another you might be interested in, made in Canada I believe, they have 12 and 14' as well.

http://www.marlonproducts.com/jon-bo...cs.asp?JonID=1

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM

They are SUPER is easy to make, I made one myself 2 summers ago. But it was only 8ft. It worked great for small lakes and such! Super cheap as well, under $200! When I got my bigger boat I gave it away but am thinking about making another one. Check online and youtube, some great videos and plans etc.

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

I dunno if there's anything like this to be found in Calgary,but back in the day,Vocational high schools,trade schools,carpentry course at local community college etc. would take on class projects like this for the cost of materials?
Dad actually won a 10ft plywood boat in a raffle built by the local CC that I used as a duck huntn/muskrat trapn boat for years.
edit: oops,Lethbridge