Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Default spey casting

I was looking into it, I think I might give it a go. Does anyone on the bow use a spey rod?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM

I use a Meiser 4 wt. quite a bit for swinging streamers and nymphing out where i can't reach with my Fly rods.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM

It's a fad
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM

There are quite a few folks using spey rods on the bow these days. Good place to practice for steelheading or just learning something new. Others like it because it is easier on the shoulders. You never know what you might catch on a long rod
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM

May want to consider a switch rod.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk. View Post
May want to consider a switch rod.
What's the difference?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM

I should retract my previous post, the meiser 4wt I'm sure falls in the switch line of rods.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddafoe View Post
What's the difference?
The diffrence is mainly rod lenght. The newer switch rods leave the caster the ability to cast 2 handed or sigle handed and typically range in length fom 10.5' to 11.5'. The more traditional Spey from 12' to 16' and soley 2 handed casting.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The diffrence is mainly rod lenght. The newer switch rods leave the caster the ability to cast 2 handed or sigle handed and typically range in length fom 10.5' to 11.5'. The more traditional Spey from 12' to 16' and soley 2 handed casting.
So could I use my 9' fly rod and just put spey line on it?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I should retract my previous post, the meiser 4wt I'm sure falls in the switch line of rods.
Actually Meiser makes both switch and Spey lightweight rods. I fish the Bow with a 12.5" Classic. It's a full sized rod but very light. I like it as I'm getting older and double hauling is hard on the shoulders. The other reason is I can reach out farther. Not big on Switch rods.

Fishing Regulations
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
The spey line scenerios can very complicated, skagit shooting heads simplify things alittle. You need to match rod lenght with the proper shooting head lenght and grain weight. I am not experienced enough outside my own spey and switch set ups to give any real direction. As far as spey lines on a 9' the simple answer is no.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The spey line scenerios can very complicated, skagit shooting heads simplify things alittle. You need to match rod lenght with the proper shooting head lenght and grain weight. I am not experienced enough outside my own spey and switch set ups to give any real direction. As far as spey lines on a 9' the simple answer is no.
Well with that in mind, do you guys know of anything that would be in the150-250 price range that would be any good?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM

I also plan on some steelhead action eventually.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Well with that in mind, do you guys know of anything that would be in the150-250 price range that would be any good?
I put together a 7wt switch for a steelhead set up and just the line combos and assortment of sinking tips got over $150. I would start watching the buy and sell, always a good deal to be found here.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
It's a fad
Yes,it's a fad that predates single-handed fly rods,spanning the last 3 centuries.

Quote:
You actually can make "spey style" casts with some degree of success with just about any rod I suppose?Your rod/line match-up would be quite different though for it to work half decently.As a general rule of thumb,you probly need to overline the rod by 2-3 line weights,say a 7-8wt line on a 5wt rid for example?

Quote:
I'm nowheres near qualified to give setup advice,I only started spey casting last Spring,learned most of what I think I know from countless hours of internet reading,and a self taught caster from watching U-tube,lol......but that said,I'm really liking this 2 handed stuff,my single handers didnt see much use last summer.Its really addictive,and the technical aspects of tweaking the most out of a set-up is a gear junkies wet dream,haha.
If you like covering LOTS of water swinging streamers,wets,skaters etc.,two handers cant be beat IMO,the distance that one can bomb a heavy streamer and sinktip across the river is just plain fun in itself......and this from somebody that dont really even know WTF their doing yet!!I'd say after 2 solid days of(sometimes ugly) self taught speycasting,I was throwing weighted streamers as far and farther than I'd ever double-hauled a lil dry fly with an 8wt in 25 years.I expect I'll be stretchn it to well past 100' this year,while Ive never been able to quite throw an entire line single handed after many years of trying.

Last edited by grinr; 02-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Banned

FWIW,if you are working on dialing in a new spey/switch outfit,I've been told that Wholesale Sports and possibly FishTales also if Im not mistaken(?)has a "loaner line" program wherein you can try out a few different lines with a small deposit rather than blow a cpl hun $$ experimenting with lines that don't match your rod very well.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
You actually can make "spey style" casts with some degree of success with just about any rod I suppose?Your rod/line match-up would be quite different though for it to work half decently.As a general rule of thumb,you probly need to overline the rod by 2-3 line weights,say a 7-8wt line on a 5wt rid for example?
Grinr, is correct in this statement, I would think while nymphing I rarely if ever over hand cast, all of my casts are spey casts. But you don't need to over line a rod to do it, any line with a long belly will work. Using a 9' holds you back a bit because you limit the D-loop you can create but it can be done.

I fish a 6wt 10' with a Rio Nymph taper and I can easily turn over 90+'.... I would say that learning the casts on a two hander is easier and therefore simpler to transfer the knowledge to singlehand. As well most information availible about spey casting is going to directed to two handers.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I was looking into it, I think I might give it a go. Does anyone on the bow use a spey rod?
ddafoe, if you rotate your avatar picture 90 degrees. and pm me your address, i'll send you some free lines. it'll help you get started.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM

that'd be amazing!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Just hold on now, did yo bring enough for the rest of the class.

Fishing Regulations
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
There are quite a few folks using spey rods on the bow these days. Good place to practice for steelheading or just learning something new. Others like it because it is easier on the shoulders. You never know what you might catch on a long rod
What reel is that in the picture?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Just hold on now, did you bring enough for the rest of the class.
You need 625 grain line for the an Alberta river!?!? Just kidding. Good on ya, braggadoe.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Reel with the pike is an Omoto VK-R 10/12
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Curious as to why you say this? As long as the line weight matches the rod why not? a 200gr scandi or skagit line on a 5wt works well for single hand spey casting, length of the rod has very little to do with whether you can cast it or not. I personally cast a 200gr Snowbee Switch (scandi) on my 5 wt and it has a head lenght of 27ft.

To the OP, there are plenty of guys fishing spey rods on the Bow as well some of the shops do have demo days.

Colin
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post

Do not upline a single hand rod by 2 line weights for spey casts, its not necessary and you run the risk of breaking your rod. While it is true that a 5wt switch or spey rod is the equivalent of a 7wt single hand rod when it comes to line weight, it does not apply the other way, it all comes down to grain weights.

Colin
Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDone View Post
Do not upline a single hand rod by 2 line weights for spey casts, its not necessary and you run the risk of breaking your rod. While it is true that a 5wt switch or spey rod is the equivalent of a 7wt single hand rod when it comes to line weight, it does not apply the other way, it all comes down to grain weights.

Colin
OK,now I'm confused.....not the first time for that either.
Arent your last two posts contradictory of one another??
In one post,you say "DO NOT overline,yada yada...." and in the very next breath you say on a 5wt single hander a 200gr Scandi works great for you,yet 200gr falls right into the standard for a 7/8wt single?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

.....ok,after further consideration,i think I've figured out from where my confusion stems?
I recall a similar conversation a cpl years back,and the topic was "Substituting a "regular" WF/single hand line as a Spey line"......or something like that?
Anyhow,the consensus as I recall was that yes you can use a WF line with decent results on a single hander if you go up 2 line weights?So for instance,with a 9ft 5wt rod and WF7F line,one should be able to make reasonably decent Scandi casts,no??How is that any different or inadvisable for the health of the rod from you using a 200gr Scandi on your 5wt?

oh and BTW,I'm not suggesting making overhead/single hand casts with such a rod/line combo,merely that say for instance somebody was on a budget or wutever,wanted to carry an extra spool for Spey casting,and already owned a WF7F,that it would work fairly well?Obviously the taper,belly,line design of the WF is going to be different than that of an actual Scandi line,but in a pinch,they weigh the same and the WF should work reasonably well?

Last edited by grinr; 02-13-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 AM

ok, you've fixed your avator. i'll send up the lines and a reel today. don't try to cast these lines on a singled handed rod! you certainly can spey cast with a single handed rod. but not with these lines. you'll need to get a 8 or 9 weight spey rod to match the lines. it will be overkill for alberta, but great to practice/learn with and perfect for salmon/steelhead. you'll also need to get some 15 ft sink tips(you can use the floating tip from the windcutter).

when you get a rod, report back. and we'll tell you which line to put on it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
ok, you've fixed your avator. i'll send up the lines and a reel today. don't try to cast these lines on a singled handed rod! you certainly can spey cast with a single handed rod. but not with these lines. you'll need to get a 8 or 9 weight spey rod to match the lines. it will be overkill for alberta, but great to practice/learn with and perfect for salmon/steelhead. you'll also need to get some 15 ft sink tips(you can use the floating tip from the windcutter).

when you get a rod, report back. and we'll tell you which line to put on it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Will do!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDone View Post
Curious as to why you say this? As long as the line weight matches the rod why not? a 200gr scandi or skagit line on a 5wt works well for single hand spey casting, length of the rod has very little to do with whether you can cast it or not. I personally cast a 200gr Snowbee Switch (scandi) on my 5 wt and it has a head lenght of 27ft.

To the OP, there are plenty of guys fishing spey rods on the Bow as well some of the shops do have demo days.

Colin
My apologies for the miss information, CDone is right, scandi and skagit do have a place in single handed rods, but rod lenght is all important. Typically you would look for a shooting head between 3 to 4 times rod lenght. This does not include any sink tip lenghts you may add to the line combo. So a 9' rod = somwhere in the neighbour hood of a 27' head. This is to allow proper loading of the rod. You would up size line for the 2 handed rods, 7 weight single will load effectivley with a 200-300 grain line but the 2 handed rod in 7 wt would require more like 400-650 grains to have proper loading. Good thread, I am becoming more interested in these single handed spey/skagit set ups.