Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Bassano Dam

Has anyone ever fished at the Bassano dam i was looking at the regs and i cant seem to find if you can keep walleye there or not does any one know?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

I think you can only keep them below the dam above is zero limit for walleye below the dam i believe it 3 over 50 cm might wanna double check that though
Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

i fish there all the time in the summer, i believe its a limmit of one on the dam, some awesome fishing down there
Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Default bassano dam

fished there lots dont think i have ever seen a walleye above the dam.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM

ive cuaght loads of walleyes right at the dam my pops cuaght a nice 10 pounder there a few years ago and ive caught some nice fat ones also its awesome for some trophy pike, and trophy trout, man i think its one prime fishery
Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Ive never caught a walleye at all by bassano dam, what were you guys using? to get them? where at the dam do you go?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Ive never caught a walleye at all by bassano dam, what were you guys using? to get them? where at the dam do you go?
from the dam to about 1 km away from it, all inbetween that distance their all there, the most effective thing ive used to catch them on was a huskey jerk rapala one morning i caught 3 of them in about an hour, the other things ive used was spoons, and worms, and minnows.the best color for the huskey jerk is the silver and dark grey one.looks like a smelt pretty much some buddy once told me if you go where the noth sask river runs into it you can catch some monster walleyes outta there
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke View Post
from the dam to about 1 km away from it, all inbetween that distance their all there, the most effective thing ive used to catch them on was a huskey jerk rapala one morning i caught 3 of them in about an hour, the other things ive used was spoons, and worms, and minnows.the best color for the huskey jerk is the silver and dark grey one.looks like a smelt pretty much some buddy once told me if you go where the noth sask river runs into it you can catch some monster walleyes outta there
NSR into Bassano?? You must mean the Bow.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Gone Hunting

I think he means the "forks". Where the Bow joins up with the South Sask river. Ive heard its great fishing as well, though never drove down there to fish it, just too far. Also know its a very traditional spot, and can be a crowded place to find a piece of water at. Have heard tell of some big fish over the years though. I have fished the Bassano Dam. Caught some great trout below the dam in the past. Been some very large fish representing all species in that river that have been caught below that dam over the years.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I think he means the "forks". Where the Bow joins up with the South Sask river. Ive heard its great fishing as well, though never drove down there to fish it, just too far. Also know its a very traditional spot, and can be a crowded place to find a piece of water at. Have heard tell of some big fish over the years though. I have fished the Bassano Dam. Caught some great trout below the dam in the past. Been some very large fish representing all species in that river that have been caught below that dam over the years.

keep a strain on er.
yep the fork
Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 PM

If you are talking about the forks north of grassy lake it is actually where the bow and oldman rivers meet to form the south saskatewan. it is the traditional spawning grounds of the sturgeon in the drainage system and harbors some great walleye, pike, and goldeye fishing. also, some great hunting in the area!