Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
When did you become a mod?

OMO, snaring wolves and coyotes on public land should only be allowed after bird season. Hunting with dogs are part of the 'hunt' and we shouldn't have to worry about our pals getting caught up in snares.
EID isn't public land...it's privately owned.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Yes I know but this happens on crown land too.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
When did you become a mod?

OMO, snaring wolves and coyotes on public land should only be allowed after bird season. Hunting with dogs are part of the 'hunt' and we shouldn't have to worry about our pals getting caught up in snares.
Not a Mod Tuc.. Just hate to see someone get called out for doing a good thing. I would do the same for you and would expect the same for me.

Jamie
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Not sure what area you're in but before December 1 the use of snares is only legal in some WMUs in the 300s, 400s, and 500s. Thus not conflicting too much with bird seasons I guess. Hides aren't worth anything, snaring now just doesn't make sense.
Doug
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Default Snares

The EID does not allow the use of power snres which are deadly and kill almost instantly. I snare EID lands but not until December when bird and deer season is over.Knowing numerous rangeriders they feel that there are too many coyotes and their numbers need to be controlled and snaring is the most effective way. Not naming anyone one of us four is a terrific snareman and him taking the coyotes he does has a huge positive impact helping wildlife in the EID.Regardless of when and where a person snares they do forget the odd snare so when i run my dogs i always carry a set of special cable cutters rather than pliers which may not cut the cable . A decent snareman always runs a breakaway that allows deer and livestock to break out if accidentally caught. These breakaways can be easily opened with pliers but i never take the chance and always carry my $40 cable cutters
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Banned

Coyote man.
I am very glad to hear there is plenty of room out there for all of us.
Thanks for being so responsible with your hooby. I think it puts all outdoorsmen in a great light.

Jamie