Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Default So Called Hunters

Was out at family farm on saturday with two hunting partners seeing if we could find a deer to shot. While walking down a fence line one of the guys noticed something and we stopped to check it out. What I seen next I couldnt believe. Someone had cut the top two wires and taken a quad into my uncles land. More then likely to get a moose out because of the thick moose populations on the land and deer can be hard to find in the thick bush and swamp. On the other side of the land we found a spot where they had tried to go through but probably turned back before getting the quad stuck in the swamp. It boggles me someone would do this especially in such a high traffic oilfield area and as far I know no one seen them do it. Im kinda concerned now because I have trail cameras throughout the bush which are locked up but the treestands I have are not. Hopefully these guys get caught one day and get whats coming to them.

Thanks for listening...DR
Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM

What a thoughtless thing to do. Absolutely no regard for another persons property.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Why do you automatically call them hunters. By your story they don't sound like hunters at all. Maybe a guy on quad that found his way onto the property almost got stuck then decided to try to find away out but couldn't find the gate. Seen a sorta ****ty three wire fence that was Stretched out cut two wires and found his way home. Probly a local person relized nobody who has animals uses ****ty streched three wire fence so they had some time to come back an fix it. He'll maybe tightner up a bit! Anybody can make a story that sorta fits maybe next time come out with some facts not fiction
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmman View Post
Why do you automatically call them hunters. By your story they don't sound like hunters at all. Maybe a guy on quad that found his way onto the property almost got stuck then decided to try to find away out but couldn't find the gate. Seen a sorta ****ty three wire fence that was Stretched out cut two wires and found his way home. Probly a local person relized nobody who has animals uses ****ty streched three wire fence so they had some time to come back an fix it. He'll maybe tightner up a bit! Anybody can make a story that sorta fits maybe next time come out with some facts not fiction

Hmmm...could you be the "culprit"?..... naaaaa
Old 11-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Don't know what part of the province you are in.
A friend and his family got scared out of their beds last night at shotly after midnight by the sounds of rifle shots out side of their house.
Three shots the fella could tell by the sound of the smack they were hits.
Jumped out of bed looked out window saw headlights of a quad and phoned the police.
Cops got there in under 20 minutes and the fella lives 30 miles (5 of that gravel) from the nearest detatchment.
They looked around till 2:00 AM no luck on finding the poachers.
He went out this morning at day break a dead fawn and a dead 4X5 buck and a bloodspot another ten feet away was what he found.
Phoned the Fish and Game and as of 3:00 PM they hadn't showed up yet.
It happened in less thean 2 minutes and not 60 yards from his house with a yard light.

Some people have balls as big a church bells and are as smart as a fence post.

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:42 PM

There's a great proper story telling us some facts about what happened. Great job kodiakken, sorry about you friends run in with poachers
Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 PM

WSM...you want to talk about facts....considering you have no idea about the land in question or the layout of it i will tell you...it is a small piece of bush 1/8 mile x 1/4 mile. Cutlines running east to west and north to south straight through the center. You can see the road or field from any place while standing in the piece of land. For someone to get lost in there is basically impossible...If he were to be quadding through he entered a gate and went straight north to the fence then turned east. Now how do you get lost by taking two turns? Impossible. My unlce talked to the lease worker and throughout the october bow season there were numerous different pickups parked in the land and on the access road. My unlce lives 3/4 mile away and he is the closest. the next neighbour is over 1 mile and im not even sure she owns a quad. By the "FACTS" i know i am going to go ahead and say it was a "HUNTER" and not someone out for a sunday quad ride. there are your facts
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Default i agree

I agree that is an abosulte BS thing to do but at the same time randomly calling that person a hunter is also somewhat careless. Often assumptions make someone look foolish.

I hope you catch them.

Morb
Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM

By the facts that i know it was definitely a hunter or if you would like we could call them a guy with a gun and atv or poacher if you like...we have had numerous problems out on this land...there is a very good chance it is the same guy who stopped his truck backed up and use his rifle to see if i were a deer while I was walking down a cutline on the same piece of land
Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM

your story still looks like swiss cheese, hunters not so sure, Maybe it was a guy with one of those fancy segways yah. He burnt on your uncle's land went straight through the gate to the north then he made a 90 and headed straight east. He got all mixed up in a swampy area and almost got stuck. He then relized he used alot of battery power in the swamp and decided cut across the fence line. He got out his wire pliers that he keeps in his segway's toolbox just in case.................you now to cut fence! He cut the fence and made a slick getaway. Man I hate those sneaky nerdy types with those super quite electric vehicles you can never hear them burning around your property when you live 3/4 mile away.

another story I provided with your "FACTS" so far i haven't heard any facts that point the finger at a hunter.

dont point your fingers on this hunter based forum unless you have hard facts.

your story should read, went hunting seen the fence was cut. some quad tracks nearby. i wonder why someone would do that. that just makes me mad. end of story.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM

My story means what it means to me because I know what the situation is and what has being happening over the last few years...by you coming on here and calling my story a lie without knowing anything about what is going on besides what i have told you doesn't look good on your part...hunters are supposed to work together to stop stuff like this not put eachother down when one of us has a problem...I retract my statement that it was a hunter...we will now call this unknown person or persons poachers from what I know...we followed the tracks from the road and they go straight in and out no driving around or one of my numerous trail cams would have picked them up..anything else you would like to know about my story
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Default i missed it

Personally poacher would be much better suited for this individual. I thought that you never saw the individual so how did he have a gun? Ultimately, something bad happened and you are angry fair enough. And while this act may have been performed by a poacher on a quadm there is also a good chance it wasn't.

What area are you in, this board spans all Alberta so maybe someone can help you out.

Good luck finding them and when/if you do let us know.

Morb
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm not looking to find anyone...i posted this To show my disgust with some people in this province...I don't even know if poacher is the right word...I'm the only person who has being given permission on this land for the last three years along with my cousin and one friend...bottom line is someone entered our family land by cutting a fence on a quad by the tracks in the swamp grass and mud and drove straight in a straight out...if not going to retrieve an animal this act would be quite pointless
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
What a thoughtless thing to do. Absolutely no regard for another persons property.
X2

Happens on our property from time to time also. Wrapping a winch line around all the wires and pulling everything down seems to be the favorite trick. But, true, might not be hunters. Could've been the local kindergarden class out on a nature walk. Always happens in November, so I am "pretty sure" it isn't bowhunters. Not sure why the kindergarden class is leaving gut piles behind?? But better not get too presumptuous here. Maybe we should get WSM out to investigate and find the "facts" for us.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM

I agree lets get him out there and he can see what I'm seeing...it might have being done in October tho because the lease worker my uncle talked to said there were 1 to 2 trucks parked nearby every morning for the third week in October and the fence wire ends have rusted over where they were cut but that could happen in a matter of days
Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 PM

I don't really care about what happened. Just don't drag hunters as a group through the mud by telling story's without any facts. If there was a gut pile, shell casings anything saying it was a hunter sure but you had nothing. I own land and people cross it all the time( hunters, quads, horsemen, kids, other peoples dogs) it happens. It's life as a landowner catch them when you can and live with the rest you don't.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 PM

I agree, shouldn't sound like we are trying to bad mouth hunters and lable people. It is unethical people who have no regard for property other that thier own that do this sort of stuff.

I think dangerranger was just venting alittle about one of the things that happens alot during hunting season and he had no intent to insult. But all a couple on here heard was an insult to hunters, so jump on him for that. Then top it off by saying you don't care what happened.

Fence cuts are not just a trivial act of vandalizm. We need them to keep our livestock where they belong and out of our own and our nieghbors crops where they can do a lot of costly damage. And off public roads where they could be a hazard and costly.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 AM

Thank you uncle John that is all I was trying to say...may have being a hunter may not have being, who knows...all I know is my fence is wrecked and there are quad marks that go straight in and straight out...kinda fishy to me...but I know what happened and that's all that matters...wsm can think what he wants
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM

its happened to me numerous times, people coming and cutting my fence for what, i have no idea? If its other hunters i would let them hunt the land if they would just ask me... I have no problem with other people using my land for walking or hunting its the part where i gotta go catch all my cattle and bring em home after the fence is cut that angers me. some people....
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM

it sounds like a hunter to me....
does it hurt my feelers that ranger points the finger in my direction as a hunter... ...
with a capital H i say Hell no......because as i am a hunter with etiquette....
your land, i ask for permission....run into someone's fence don't cut it....
so with ranger saying hunters cut the fence, i know i would never do such a thing....now if you have cut fences or shot deer on private land then what rangers saying is pointing to you.......

so if rangers wrong and it was a sunday quader that cut the fence....so what....the fence is cut...why p1ss him off even more,by standing him up...
have some compassion....
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't have a fence to be cut. I only own tree acres, but I can appreciate how it would feel to find what you found, fences cut, quad tracks.

And who are we kidding here. Who goes around on quads cutting fences at this time of year? I can tell you, it sure isn't a Fish & Wildlife officer or the local kindergarten class.

Why is it that the tracks I see where someone turned sideways on our road in the the dark, yes I know it was in the dark because it snowed early last night and those tracks weren't there, this morning before first light they were. why do people only do it the first two weeks of November? I have never seen it any other time of year?

Yeah I know, they got lost and turned around. Only they didn't turn around, they turned sideways, then proceeded on down the road. Must have started to turn around then changed their minds. Odd how November does that to some people. Even makes them cut fences.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM

o.k people.... it was NOT a hunter, it was NOT a poacher, it was NOT a kindergarten class! what it was? it was a plain and simple TRESSPASSER! there.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM

on a side note it more than likely a hunter.. until you know 100%, its a tresspasser!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM

You mentioned trail cams, did you check to see if yoiu got any pictures of the people responsible?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Yes i did check the cameras and no pictures of people yet...that may change
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Default careful

Careful with the trailcam pictures of people. That might not be what you want because you may find your cam gone. I definitely hope that doesn't and your fence being cut doesn't happen again!

Morb
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
o.k people.... it was NOT a hunter, it was NOT a poacher, it was NOT a kindergarten class! what it was? it was a plain and simple TRESSPASSER! there.
Lets go down to the lowest common denominator............it was a person. People are the problem.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Ya it's definitely not what I want...they are chained to a 12 inch spruce but that won't stop a theif and there not exactly hidden either...all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope none of this happens again