Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Default road hunters vs bush hunters

I am about to open a big can of worms with this thread
I took one week off form the 1st to the 7th of Nov to hunt. I twisted my knee the second day out so pushing bush or too much walking was out of the question. I live in wooded area that has many old dead end oilfield roads. I will drive to the end of the old road and check to see if their is anyone hunting on the road. If not I will drive back up the road and park to watch the road. I parked my truck in the center of the road and went to the edge of the tree line and sat in my lawn chair and waited. I hung a safety vest on the back of my chair so I was visible to anyone looking down the road. I had several other hunters drive down this road while I was sitting there. I had one guy tell me to move my truck off the road so he could drive down this road to check the end of the road. I was 300 yds from the end of the road
Sure there is lots of hunters out there that do not like road hunters, I would rather be in the bush hanging out waiting for the right moment. What would you do if you where working a cutline and somebody seen you down there and went 200 yds past you and sat down. I feel that alot of people don't respect other hunters . What is your opinion???
Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Hunt how you want. As long as you're not breaking any laws enjoy the outdoors in any way you can.

Bummer about your knee. I've had 4 operations on mine - best you don't push it.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM

I For one dont like Road hunting and I'm sorry that your hunt was ruined by guys in Trucks,but that's the Road warrior Way of alberta and Saskatchewan.if your near any trail, road, or access of any kind, espicially if it's crown land your doomed.

However the way I see it road hunting is a Great Way to 'kill" a big buck,but it's a terrible way to Hunt a big buck.

I'd be more happy with a 140" buck that I shoot on ground zero ,3 miles from my Truck,than I would be shooting a 180" Buck out of my Truck while road hunting.

And thats the Bottom Line ,WJ
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve god View Post
I am about to open a big can of worms with this thread
I took one week off form the 1st to the 7th of Nov to hunt. I twisted my knee the second day out so pushing bush or too much walking was out of the question. I live in wooded area that has many old dead end oilfield roads. I will drive to the end of the old road and check to see if their is anyone hunting on the road. If not I will drive back up the road and park to watch the road. I parked my truck in the center of the road and went to the edge of the tree line and sat in my lawn chair and waited. I hung a safety vest on the back of my chair so I was visible to anyone looking down the road. I had several other hunters drive down this road while I was sitting there. I had one guy tell me to move my truck off the road so he could drive down this road to check the end of the road. I was 300 yds from the end of the road
Sure there is lots of hunters out there that do not like road hunters, I would rather be in the bush hanging out waiting for the right moment. What would you do if you where working a cutline and somebody seen you down there and went 200 yds past you and sat down. I feel that alot of people don't respect other hunters . What is your opinion???

That person is just disrespectful thats all i have to say. i would never do that to a person. It doesn't matter how a person is hunting to me as long as they are within the law, each to their own. But no matter how they are hunting i will always talk to/ respect anyone out there. And i always try and give other hunters as much space as possible. its only fair.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I For one dont like Road hunting and I'm sorry that your hunt was ruined by guys in Trucks,but that's the Road warrior Way of alberta and Saskatchewan.if your near any trail, road, or access of any kind, espicially if it's crown land your doomed.

However the way I see it road hunting is a Great Way to 'kill" a big buck,but it's a terrible way to Hunt a big buck.

I'd be more happy with a 140" buck that I shoot on ground zero ,3 miles from my Truck,than I would be shooting a 180" Buck out of my Truck while road hunting.

You would be more happy with the 140... BUT you would still shoot the 180...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hero View Post
You would be more happy with the 140... BUT you would still shoot the 180...

Last year on opening day in saskatchewan,my cousin and I passed up a Big buck,right off the road,I should of shot it but just could'nt Do it,we hunted 6 more days and didnt see nothing close to the size of the buck off the Road.

Maybe I should have Shot?

it was noon hour and we were driving to another spot to hunt on Foot.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Man are these threads getting redundant, maby Ishootbamby could take up the crossbow hunting cause again just to give us a break from the monotony of road hunting threads.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM

I would have had your truck towed.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I would have had your truck towed.
I may have towed it myself if you caught me on the right day...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 PM

I hunt down old lease roads and road allowances from time to time, I block the ****ing road with my truck I don't give a ****, if it ****es people off so what, get out of your truck and walk and tell me I am blocking the trail and to move so you can drive that extra 500 yards lol.

One time I was siting in on an old lease, and I could see the main road, and 2 whitetail bucks came out. I was watching them as they fed in the ditch. Suddenly they started acting weird and walked into the bush. 2 minutes later a truck came by, went to the end, turned around and went out, 5 minutes after the bucks came out again lol.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Hunt how you want. As long as you're not breaking any laws enjoy the outdoors in any way you can.
DING DING DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!

Move along folks, nothing to see here, unless you want to rehash the same arguments over and over and over. But Knotter's already got the right answer, IMHO LOL
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntercentral View Post
I hunt down old lease roads and road allowances from time to time, I block the ****ing road with my truck I don't give a ****, if it ****es people off so what, get out of your truck and walk and tell me I am blocking the trail and to move so you can drive that extra 500 yards lol.

One time I was siting in on an old lease, and I could see the main road, and 2 whitetail bucks came out. I was watching them as they fed in the ditch. Suddenly they started acting weird and walked into the bush. 2 minutes later a truck came by, went to the end, turned around and went out, 5 minutes after the bucks came out again lol.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post

Ya...i totally agree with you about road hunters....But I hunt alot of deep crown big bush and large private grazing reserves, lots of trails and pipelines. Some mornings after seeing nothing for a few days i LOVE to cruise around in my Chev Tracker drinking coffee and smoking cigars, just looking for new sign. We do take walks and do small pushes during this time...some of the biggest bucks i have seen have been through the window of a truck. Never have shot or even shot at anything from a truck though...except with a camera!

Passed this guy up two years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buffalobuck.jpg (71.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I block the ****ing road with my truck I don't give a ****, if it ****es people off so what, get out of your truck and walk and tell me I am blocking the trail and to move so you can drive that extra 500 yards lol.
Oh, I wouldn't bother to come and find you... but I suspect you would get the message. I feel no great need to show consideration to those that obviously have none for anyone else.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Drive the roads in a truck/car , or drive the cut lines or seismic trails on a quad or side x side whats the difference?

Sit on a road in a chair or sit on a chair in a tree or....
really whats the difference ?

Hunt the way that is best for you and don't critic others way of hunting legally.

Kinda reminds me of a vegetarian telling me I shouldn't eat meat or an anti telling me I can't hunt .

Hunt with a bow a crossbow or a legal firearm of your choice . Stop worrying how others don't conform to your standards and enjoy the sport the best way you can.

And for heaven's sake treat you fellow hunter how you would like to be treated.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh, I wouldn't bother to come and find you... but I suspect you would get the message. I feel no great need to show consideration to those that obviously have none for anyone else.
Okee, if you're too lazy to get out of your truck to hunt then it would be way to much work for you to actually get out of your truck to do something, just be careful you don't get stuck turning around lol
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Man are these threads getting redundant, maby Ishootbamby could take up the crossbow hunting cause again just to give us a break from the monotony of road hunting threads.
i told you before, you can dislike my opinion all you want, but i havent started the crossbow threads even once. and we know.....you are the greatest pure bowhunter and the most hardcore bushhunter ever......you rule and your way is the only way.

as for the op......hey ...its a road. to block a public road is just as poor etiquette IMO as knowingly bumping another hunter on a cutline. why dont you find some land where you can drive in and watch fields without much of a walk? sorry to hear about your situation, and good to see you are not throwing in the towel.....maybe just try something a little different. good luck to you.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
i have a strong feeling your talking right out of your arse. pulling crap like that can leave you walking to the main road. but i think you know that. what you would like to do and what you do are probably two very different things.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 PM

i hunt with a pick up. why?plain And simple. i know everyone in my area and have permission to hunt their land. if i go driving for an hour before dark i might see up to 60 deer. if i walk for an hour i get sore feet and see only a fraction of what i see covering territory in a truck. yep, each to there own, do whatever floats your boat. legally.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 PM

I put on my glasses for this??
Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
i have a strong feeling your talking right out of your arse. pulling crap like that can leave you walking to the main road. but i think you know that. what you would like to do and what you do are probably two very different things.
Yaaah you got me jaylow, I don't, I just park on the roadside making sure I leave room. Generally if it's a dead end most guys are smart enough to figure out someone less lazy than they are is walking back in the area and will turn around, but there are a few idiots around that will still drive in.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Default A very old game.

I hike around, find rubs, scrapes etc. spend the day on foot off the beaten track. Some days I may see a few doe's, or the odd button buck but most days I see nothing.

Tired, cold n sore i get into my truck and drive home only to see dozens of deer grazing worry free on the road allowance as I drive past, rifle packed away and to sore to even think about it.

For me its all about getting out into their domain, learning patterns, looking for sign. Knowing where they are and where their going to be. Finding the ghost of the woods. The Challenge and the reward. It wouldn't be the same any other way.

Driving around shooting at deer in the ditch? doesn't seem sporting to me.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM

Im not too keen on people blocking off lease roads,, its public land everyone is entitled to be there. I DONT road hunt,, I like too sit in treestands. Ive found if you get off the road 3-400 yards you more than likely wont see another soul,,, and the deer move fairly well all day long.. Guys in trucks get shots at startled deer,, I get shots if i choose so.. at relaxed deer and usually get to see various other animals that guys in trucks dont get too see.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

I think most would agree that they are sick of reading threads like this..

Is it really necessary for people to make threads (rants) about every little thing that goes wrong for them in life or the outdoors??

Thread Closed..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

I was always taught not to park in the middle of the road. It's bone head type of move. If a guy wants to drive down to the end he has the right to do so. It can't be that unmaintained of a road if afew people are driving past you too so setting up shop on it might not be the brightest of ideas. Find a cutline, power line, any thing.

At least you have a vest on your chair so no one shoots you.

Also all because a truck is parked on the shoulder even, doesnt give you the right to the road or area.

Good luck
Closed Thread