Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM

Default How do you know?

Been hunting in the area for 20 plus years.. involved in a project there with PP and know the area and the farmers... there is the possibility someone may have released on their own but highly unlikely... area is primarily private land... couldn't stamp it with 100% garuntee Vin but I would give her the old 95%.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM

We hunter the Taber area a couple of weeks ago and got lots of birds. These two are the first game I killed with my "new" LC Smith Ideal Grade shooting hand made loads of BP 6's.

All wild birds there too. Hunted Friday afternoon, Sat morning, Sunday morning and everyone (5 guys) went home with their 6 bird limit each.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Hunter View Post
A lot of the alledged "wild birds" are a result of the program...
Not only do they release cock pheasants in the hunting season but come spring they release a healthy number of hens in the surrounding areas to benifit this "wild population".....
The following are quoted from the Pheasants Forever Web Site.

"What kind of survival rate can be expected from pheasants stocked in the summer or fall at 8-14 weeks of age? On average, only 60 percent will survive the initial week of release. After one month, roughly 25 percent will remain. Over-winter survival has been documented as high as 10 percent but seldom exceeds 5 percent of birds released."

"If over-winter survival is so poor, why not wait until spring to release breeder hens?
Mortality is still very high, and roughly 40 to 70 percent of the hens will perish before attempting to nest. Also, high mortality rates continue even after nests are initiated or eggs successfully hatched, resulting in dismally low production. Average production of spring-released hens ranges from 5 to 40 chicks per 100 hens released. Thus, released hens are not productive enough to replace their own losses"

I still believe that stocking serves a purpose but it does Very little to add to the wild population.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:41 PM

Default Tough Pheasant Hunting This Year

Many hunters I have talked to this year agree with me that the pheasant hunting this year in the Magrath, Spring Coulee areas has not been as good as previous years - particularly last year when it was extemely good. Early in the season there were a few birds but now there aren't many and the ones found are small birds. Some people blame the hail storm we had - I don't know - there seems to be plenty of huns and sharptails around. My Brittanys are working especially good this year, so I really don't think I'm just having bad luck. The same grounds I've been hunting for years just aren't showing any birds. One land owner said he shut his property down for pheasants on the 15th of Nov. because of lack of birds. Sunday hunting is not helping matters! Will anyone tell me how the hunting is in other areas of the province, say Taber, Milk River, Coutts, Seven Persons, Hays, Vauxhall, etc.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
There is a thriving population of wild birds in the deep south portion of the province, i think there are other pockets of wild birds if you know where to look. If I had to rely on hunting pen raised birds i think I would quit hunting them altogether, it's just no fun.
A couple of weeks ago I was scouting ducks and geese and ended up passing by the Namaka Buck for Wildlife release site. Someone allowed cattle in there and now there is almost nothing in the way of cover. Lots of cow.. though. Doubt I will ever shoot one of these sites since this last impression.

On a positive note, there are plenty of wild roosters much further south. A dog is a must otherwise they will leak out and run circles around you. I bagged to big roosters, but missed others as they are getting up at, or just out of, range....
Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKKS View Post
Many hunters I have talked to this year agree with me that the pheasant hunting this year in the Magrath, Spring Coulee areas has not been as good as previous years - particularly last year when it was extemely good. Early in the season there were a few birds but now there aren't many and the ones found are small birds. Some people blame the hail storm we had - I don't know - there seems to be plenty of huns and sharptails around. My Brittanys are working especially good this year, so I really don't think I'm just having bad luck. The same grounds I've been hunting for years just aren't showing any birds. One land owner said he shut his property down for pheasants on the 15th of Nov. because of lack of birds. Sunday hunting is not helping matters! Will anyone tell me how the hunting is in other areas of the province, say Taber, Milk River, Coutts, Seven Persons, Hays, Vauxhall, etc.
Every year for the last 15 + years around oct. 1-15 I usually see 10-15 stupid looking Male pheasants around my yard site and this year that did not happen "thank you". I don't know what the FWD is doing with their release program with numbers or do I care. I live south of Taber. I have some of the best pheasant habitat in our area creek bottom and a small amount of hayfield left standing and that is not to say much for habitat. We have a small wild population of birds here and they are stable but not really increaseing and I don't hunt them for that reason but I don't stop others. This spring was hard on all wild birds as it was wet and cold in June when chicks were hatching out and because of the mosture and cold they are prone to hypothermia. Clutch sizes were down from what little I saw both of Pheasants and Huns. Combine that with a reduction in the pheasants released from the provinces release program and it would appear that pheasant numbers were down. Furthure south in Northern MT. the clutch size seemed to be bigger but they had a warmer/drier spring. I still have not figured out how hunters figure out wild pheasants from released birds when in the bag. Body fat, wholes in the nares or hope and delusion....puphood1
Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Hail mortality summer 2008

There are many pockets of Cover in the South that were hit with heavy hail near or just after hatching. You may notice that some of your spots in the South are not producing like in other years. Rumor has it that Huns and Pheasants are down in these spots. Word of advice for you coulee hunters. When cresting the ridge watch out for road hunters just about watched a guy get his head shot off by the guy in the truck. Didn't see him coming up and almost ran over his dog. Pretty scary to see from afar when you can't do anything to help. To these ridge runners, "I say get out and walk like a real hunter." What's next a .22?

Road hunting is not hunting.

Last edited by DuckBrat; 11-19-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: word error
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
"I say get out and walk like a real hunter."
Actually, real hunters look for game to shoot and when they find it they try to kill it. Method of locomotion is not a qualifier for the definition of hunt, nor is choice of weapon.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM

Default You have me there but

Although I cannot dispute your dictionary meaning of hunter but if one couch hunts from his or her truck for big game or birds they will be deemed a lowly slug in most eyes. These types are not welcome on my property. I pray your Springer spaniel is not trained to sit comfortably in the passenger seat and a person with a beautiful dog such as that would not bird hunt from his truck? Now that would be a real waste.

Duck

Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned

The dog is a Brittany and I have 8 of them. Last time I carried my GPS I logged 16 miles walking in a day of bird hunting. It is what I enjoy. But it doesn't give me the right to be condescending and rude to those who are enjoying the day in a different manner than I choose. Just like I don't have a grudge against someone who chooses to take their upland birds with a .22 instead of with a vintage SxS 20 like I do.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Walk don't drive.

If that is the the case I have no quarrel with you, best of luck on the season. Nice Dog.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
jrs

"You may notice that some of your spots in the South are not producing like in other years. Rumor has it that Huns and Pheasants are down in these spots."

I noticed pheasants are way lower where i hunt deer but partridge numbers are near all time highs. I was flushing at least one group out of every coulee, normally 15-20 birds with some really really big flocks. I did not see a single pheasant on the one property for the first time in 3 seasons and the others still didn't have any (occasionally i would see the odd rooster around). Lots of jack rabbits though, should make for some good winter fun. Taber and Picture Butte areas by the way. I'm not pinpointing specific spots but pretty good accross the general area.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default Elsie

How about some more pics of that LC Smith and little history. Guage, barrel length etc. She looks like a beaut.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up Stavely

Is Stavely,Nanton, and area good for Pheasants need new areas no luck so far please help.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
Hey 101 you need a sharper hook than "displaying elitist attitudes" and insulted I didn't know you where that fragile.
And most non hunters don't need me to convince them about anything if they took a look at release sites and what went on it would be the only thing they needed to turn them against hunting period. But you are right about one thing I am entitled to my opinion..........puphood1
I wouldnt waste your fingers typing to him PH. Let the city boy think what he wants and let him hunt his long tailed pigeons. Just leaves more birds for the rest of us.

As for the poster who asked about the Taber area. Numbers are low and hunter numbers are up. So far the river bottoms have been where I have been finding birds and not hunters. Weekends and anything after 5 starts to look like brooks.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
Well here we go again the only purpose the release sites provide is to keep the gunners (notice I didn't say hunters) away from the wild birds and concentrate the gunners in one area and by the way that was a actual policy by Fish and Wildlife. No one can honestly say that release sites are quality hunts and keep a straight face. I live south of Brooks 50 min. and you couldn't pay me to visit the sites there. I also get tired of equating successful hunting with the numbers of dead birds. The only argument one could have is to give the first time hunters a opportunity to have a positive hunt and in so doing encourage them in the sport but that would even wear out.
Just got back from my 3 rd. trip to Froid MT. and again did not get a limit but thats hunting. Allways saw plenty of birds in natural habitat in one case 100 plus lifting off before I or the dogs could got into them but the sight was worth the trip in its self. Was in a area were there was lots of hunters but never ran into one in the field and I covered a lot of country walking behind my dogs as my old joints can attest to. Some of the blocks of lands are in excess of 10,000 acres with public access. Hunters are not a dirty word there and generally very welcome even on the private lands due to a differant mind set. The influx of hunters in the area is a welcome source of needed income to the local economy.
The sooner the release sites are gone and the Bird Hunters are forced to deal with the real issue of restoration of habitat and public access the sooner pheasant hunters will benefit. Unfortunatly it does not sound like it will happen in my life time so I will continue to go south for quality hunting. Find pic's of 2 tired and sore wirehair's and a few wild pheasants these birds were taken on private land and the farmer welcomed me on and I had no conecctions to get access. Thats the way it sould be. Sorry for the rant ...........puphood1
I suppose you only cast to a rising fish with a hand tied dry fly as well.
I shot my first rooster over 40 years ago, it was a game farm bird.
I still remember the thrill of it.
Last week I hunted every day for birds down in the oyen area ( sharptails) and in the Brooks area for Pheasants.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but release hunting is not always easy and crowded.
it can be sometimes, but when I have to travel over 10 hours just to get to a place to hunt, I'll take what I can.
My buddy travelled from Manitoba, and we both had fun, which is the main point of it all.....
Cat
Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Been chasing birds for 25 years.. here's my .02
Why is it that the places they release pheasants the perimeters are mowed , hayed or cowed out ? WHY ? Is it that hard to leave buffer or heaven forbid a food plot to hold birds or increase winter suvival rates ??
Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Default bszorro

Re bird releases at Bigalow site. Hunting, even with a well trained dog was not very productive this year to say the least. Contacted Fish and Wildlife person incharge of release (can give you name and number if you want)...he reconfirmed release figures of 1500 birds this year but from what I have read on this site "no way Jose". Suggested they get back into "banning" future release birds (this way they can get a better handle on sucess rate and just where the birds are bring taken). If we are just feeding the coyotes, then maybe a "special effort" is needed to get those critters under control (something like the Saskatchewan boundy project started this year)...four paws for $20.

To my way of thinking, the bottom line is the purchasing and stocking of more public release sites in southern Alberta.....and that takes $$$...maybe bring back the Buck For Wildlife Fund as 3 sites is no where near enough for the entire province. As info no releases took place in Zone 1 after Nov 15 this year (even though the season ended Nov 30)
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 PM

I dont think anyone has any spots in belgium.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:34 PM

How far would a person have to travel to find good pheasant hunting if he lived in the Cochrane area?It's one area that I am considering for a retirement home.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 AM

Whether i hunt release sites,pay and Hunt or Wild Roosters in the South I could care less as long as i am outdoors Hunt'n with good friends or new hunters under the Dog's.
I dont condone anyone elses enjoyment in what way they hunt or where,as long as its legal limits and I am not getting pellet showers that has occasionaly happened to us at release sites.
I do have a problem with some that disregard others safety sharing the area on release sites. there is lots of room for all.
early November I had been waiting for the sun to come up and had my own little spot where i parked out of the way at Bigelow . As the sun come up and almost legal light i was just about done getting myself and my dog ready to go when Buddy shows up and drives in past us and away they go ahead of us. Alrighty then i will walk behind where you just cut me off and cover the area behind you. Well I will be darned if my Springer dosn't flush that Rooster he missed as he rushed ahead of me and I shot my First of the year. The best part was asking him to take our picture with my camera right after.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 AM

I knew the first time I met you that you were a man of Class and Style
Sometimes things just work out right, kinda the way God planned it

Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Whether i hunt release sites,pay and Hunt or Wild Roosters in the South I could care less as long as i am outdoors Hunt'n with good friends or new hunters under the Dog's.
I dont condone anyone elses enjoyment in what way they hunt or where,as long as its legal limits and I am not getting pellet showers that has occasionaly happened to us at release sites.
I do have a problem with some that disregard others safety sharing the area on release sites. there is lots of room for all.
early November I had been waiting for the sun to come up and had my own little spot where i parked out of the way at Bigelow . As the sun come up and almost legal light i was just about done getting myself and my dog ready to go when Buddy shows up and drives in past us and away they go ahead of us. Alrighty then i will walk behind where you just cut me off and cover the area behind you. Well I will be darned if my Springer dosn't flush that Rooster he missed as he rushed ahead of me and I shot my First of the year. The best part was asking him to take our picture with my camera right after.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Hunter View Post
Has anyone been out to the Bigelow release site this year? If so hows the hunting compared to last year? We went down to Brooks for the opening days and had no problems finding and flushing birds. But lately at the Bigelow release site it seem like there isn't as many birds around and the ones that are there are stupid. Alot of them won't even flush and my lab ends up getting them. Cheaper on shells I guess!
Yes I have again been hunting there and you are right either less birds or more hunters...either way hunting is poor this year. Wish ACA or the prov.
govt would open more areas like this as only 3 now exist and that is no way meeting the demand. If you want more paying hunters, you need more sites.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Em! View Post
I have been involved in quite a few private release hunts and I can honestly say they are a blast. That being said there is no better thrill than having a wild rooster jump up in front of you when you least expect it and scare the bejezzus out of you. As was stated above the key to rebuilding and sustaining wild bird populations has and always will be habitat. If you can bring back the habitat you will bring back the birds. That being said the point made about the cost effectiveness of a project like CRP in a province where only 6000 pheasant tags were purchased.. well it is hard to justify it to the average tax payer. That is why it is the responsibility of hunters to become part of organizations such as DU and PP that use your donations towards conserving and rebuilding habitat. As a side note released birds do nothing for the wild bird population.. don't quote me on it but I think the statistic is 5-10% survival rate and of that percentage 5-10% breed... not exactly numbers that make you jump with joy. On a happier note I was driving around down in Southern Alberta on sunday morning in the area where I hunt and managed to see 50+ pheasants in a morning (there are no release site where I hunt)... didn't have a dog.. or a little brother around though so I let them enjoy the 20 plus weather in peace.
Disagree with your position...PP and ACA had an opportunity to bid on and purchase some prime habitat...the CN line from Lyalta to Oyen (which runs thru Rockyford (prime hunting territory). Neither one showed any real interest so now the land will go the area farmers who will graze it right into the ground and post "no hunting" signs. So much for PP and ACA as their actions speak louder than their words.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
Been chasing birds for 25 years.. here's my .02
Why is it that the places they release pheasants the perimeters are mowed , hayed or cowed out ? WHY ? Is it that hard to leave buffer or heaven forbid a food plot to hold birds or increase winter suvival rates ??
The answer is quite simple.....first, it is all about $$$$$ who ever is cutting the grass can sell it or use it for his/her own cattle. Second....ACA (Alberta Conservation Ass.) are responsible to these sites but they in turn must bow down the the regional districts, adjacent land owners...so they end up serving too many masters (and are therefor ineffective managers). And 3rd
remeber these sites (buffalo, bigelow and millicent are or were "Buck For Wildlife sites which you and I originally paid for" and if you are lucky, you get the scraps left over so to speak. We need or should I say must demand more input and more release sities that are dedicated to hunting and not everyother Tom, Dick and Harry. As for me, my hunting days are just about over and I am moving to BC.