Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Did it rain down south last night? We got 4tenths along Highway 12, not much but a very welcome reprieve from drought and friggin heat.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Default Any

Yeah, any rain is good news for sure.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Not enough to get the ground even the least bit damp.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Did it rain down south last night? We got 4tenths along Highway 12, not much but a very welcome reprieve from drought and friggin heat.
We got a down pour that only lasted about 25 minutes. It's not enough to make a difference. As far as I'm concerned we could use a downpour for 2 solid days and be happy. The hay crop is so thin, that I've raked 2 rows for bailing and left the next 2 on the ground for the cows. It ain't worth the fuel to rake and bail such a thin crop.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Default Dang

Dang, feel for ya Gitrdun.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:19 AM

Fished the north fork of the Oldman yesterday.

She be dry dry

Rivers fall time low.

No smoke today here which is nice.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

Went for a drive with my wife and the dog yesterday, and wow is it ever dry in places I like to waterfowl hunt. Has me very worried not only for my personal hunting but for the birds in general as there is next to nothing by way of water for them to roost in. Even places I have permission around Calgary are way down compared to last year. Hoping and praying for rain and lots of it before September 8th.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Good thing is we have been getting some rain in SE Alberta, but we need a good couple inches to really do something.
But I just got permission on a good chunk of land yesterday, and he was fin with it, just no ATVs. And just told to be careful. I think a lot of guys are willing to give acces, but it all depends on each land owner.
I think if ppl just get on the horn and talk to as many guys as you can you should be able to get acces somewhere on some decent hunting land.
I find farmers and ranchers down here are great ppl. But of course you're going to find the occasional guys that will not let you on there land no matter what.
I'm also a great ass kisser, lol and I am the type of guy who won't mess around and do stupid **** when someone gives me the privilege of hunting there land. I'm going to take a garbage bag out today when I go glassing and pick up any garbage I find, and at the end of the season I'll buy them a bottle of whatever they like to drink.
I can't change the idiots who do the stupid crap. But I can do my best not to be an idiot.
The rancher also told me last year a guy was parked in Irvine just off the highway when his window was shot out. He wasn't hit. But I can see why some farmers and ranchers can be Leary of letting guys on their land.
My uncle was just sitting on his porch having a coffee before he headed out to do the chores, and had 2 guys shooting over his house at mule deer on the far side of the coulee. And they had no permission to be there...
Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
Good thing is we have been getting some rain in SE Alberta, but we need a good couple inches to really do something.
But I just got permission on a good chunk of land yesterday, and he was fin with it, just no ATVs. And just told to be careful. I think a lot of guys are willing to give acces, but it all depends on each land owner.
I think if ppl just get on the horn and talk to as many guys as you can you should be able to get acces somewhere on some decent hunting land.
I find farmers and ranchers down here are great ppl. But of course you're going to find the occasional guys that will not let you on there land no matter what.
I'm also a great ass kisser, lol and I am the type of guy who won't mess around and do stupid **** when someone gives me the privilege of hunting there land. I'm going to take a garbage bag out today when I go glassing and pick up any garbage I find, and at the end of the season I'll buy them a bottle of whatever they like to drink.
I can't change the idiots who do the stupid crap. But I can do my best not to be an idiot.
The rancher also told me last year a guy was parked in Irvine just off the highway when his window was shot out. He wasn't hit. But I can see why some farmers and ranchers can be Leary of letting guys on their land.
My uncle was just sitting on his porch having a coffee before he headed out to do the chores, and had 2 guys shooting over his house at mule deer on the far side of the coulee. And they had no permission to be there...
I hear yah there, one of the places I have permission on provides me with a letter and if I don't have that letter on me when a F&W officer stops me, I am charged with trespassing as they have had far to many people come onto their property with guns (its a bow only zone to begin with) and even drive across their property ruining the grass/fields.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 PM

Spent the past four days scouting areas along the Alberta/Montana border and had the opportunity to speak with several landowners as well as Grazing lease holders. The sentiment is unanimous that there will be a concerted effort to ban hunting given the arid conditions down South. Regional offices in Lethbridge have already received many letters to this effect and two Conservation Officers i spoke with echoed the same sentiment: Hunting Will Be Verboten unless substantial rainfall occurs to reverse the damage caused by the current drought. Might be time to dust off plans to hunt in alternate WMUs.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverjet2 View Post
Might be time to dust off plans to hunt in alternate WMUs.
Real easy to do, unless of course you're drawn for antelope, elk, moose or mule deer in those zones.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Huh

My uncle was just sitting on his porch having a coffee before he headed out to do the chores, and had 2 guys shooting over his house at mule deer on the far side of the coulee. And they had no permission to be there...[/QUOTE]

Is there a rifle season open for mule deer in August I'm not aware of????
Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
I don't know where you are in the SE but where I'm at we haven't had but maybe a trace of rain where I'm at in SE Alberta.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:32 AM

Ram, how come your so lucky to get a 'trace' of rain........ we only got the smell of rain.... you can hear the grass crack under the horses feet as we walk across the prairie,
Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 PM

Default New Hunter Again

Hi Everyone, I have hunted many times as a boy with my Grandfather. Unfortunatly he has now pasted away leaving me without a hunting mentor. I has been nervously thinking about getting back out again but i have no idea where to start. My Grandfather always knew where to go. My question for you is... where should I start?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 PM

So

Just heard that sheep hunters are getting kicked out of Ghost and surrounding area.
They are shutting down the mountains boys.

Can anyone verify this?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Geez

I hope not. What's this new world coming to.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 PM

I feel for the boys that got drawn for Elk in some of the Prairie zones. The signs are already going up stating no access until further notice.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:06 AM

I have Elk and Antelope in 102. Thankfully the elk is 3rd season and coincides with the Antelope draw. Crossing my fingures for moisture and lots of it by then!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Dang, feel for ya Gitrdun.
Thanks buddy. However, I should state that these are not my crops or cows. I'm just a good neighbor helping out my rancher neighbors and friends when needed.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jimmy View Post
Hi Everyone, I have hunted many times as a boy with my Grandfather. Unfortunatly he has now pasted away leaving me without a hunting mentor. I has been nervously thinking about getting back out again but i have no idea where to start. My Grandfather always knew where to go. My question for you is... where should I start?
I good place to start would probably be in a different thread haha
Old 08-26-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Rain

Any rain yet in the South? Just got back from BC interior and its had a change, pretty good rains from Houston to the border.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:31 PM

No!!! Elk opens in a week and a half and they may be hard pressed to get access. I know a few guys have said no access and some have posted signage stating that too. I don't see any rain in the forecast either.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Any rain yet in the South? Just got back from BC interior and its had a change, pretty good rains from Houston to the border.
We haven't had any measurable rain since July 10, and friends of ours south of town haven't had any since June 6th..
Yes, it's Pincher... lol..
Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Well somebody with an Elk tag has already been disappointed with no access. Not a good year to have a tag where you used high priority. It's still in the mid 30's with no rain in site.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Well somebody with an Elk tag has already been disappointed with no access. Not a good year to have a tag where you used high priority. It's still in the mid 30's with no rain in site.
No kidding. My SIL was awarded a trophy Antelope after waiting 12 years to get drawn. I wish him all the luck in the world, but damn, this might have been a year to 999.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Spoke with deer creek today, they are allowing no access until they get some rain.