Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Bull trout

Looking to knock bull trout off my list of species of fish to catch( only a couple remaining for the year) but don't even know which river or stream to start looking. Seems most have them but I've had 0 luck hooking one

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM

what part of the province you fishing?

they are all over the province, just need to know what area you fish mostly?

Mike
Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 PM

Very easy to catch if you know where they are. Where you at in AB?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM

I live in Edmonton, willing to drive to get some flus wet

Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Flies*

Old 08-11-2017, 08:34 AM

around Edmonton, your best bet are the stream up around Whitecourt/Fox Creek/Swan Hills area. just about all the streams up in that area will have bulls in them if there are grayling and rockies present. Little Smoky has a decent population of them, Berland has them, Athabasca although tough to shore fish unless you know where along with most of the larger streams in the area. find a nice looking pool and tie on a large streamer (i like white and red streamers) and chuck them in the pool. should get one or two that way.
there are also a few streams around Nordegg area that have them. Brown creek is pretty good (or used to be the last time i fished it about 5 yrs ago). caught some decent sized ones out of it. the N Sask has a decent population of bulls, caught a few at the bridge over the Trunk rd.
farther south just about all the streams in the Kanaskis and Crowsnest area have decent populations of bulls. Livingstone has some monster bulls in it, but tough to get with all the cutties around.
as far as flies, big streamers are the way to go. have caught a few on stimulators and grasshopper patterns but better success on streamers. i like the white red colored streamers with a bit of silver flash in them.

pick up a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide as it has pretty decent info on what ea river contains as far a species. gives you a starting point at least.

good luck
Mike
Old 08-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

So why were bull trout looked upon so poorly years back? My grandfather used to tell me that years ago bulls were considered a garbage fish? Are they poor table fare? I have no experience with them whatsoever but they look like a neat fish that can grow to pretty good proportions considering some of the skinny water some of them call home.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
So why were bull trout looked upon so poorly years back? My grandfather used to tell me that years ago bulls were considered a garbage fish? Are they poor table fare? I have no experience with them whatsoever but they look like a neat fish that can grow to pretty good proportions considering some of the skinny water some of them call home.

I was told that they were 'too' piscivorous and aggressive to the point where they'd overtake more desired trout species such as Cutties that take dry flies. Almost like having a Pike in a trout pond.

But maybe some of the older folks that actually fished them when there was legal retention could shed some light
Old 08-11-2017, 02:54 PM

A few years ago, I took the family to Fernie for a week.

We did a white water rafting trip on the Elk River.

We put in at the sawmill just south of Elko and exited at the bridge on Hwy 93 just north of the US border.

There are many guides who float the river through Fernie for cutties.

Our white water rafting guides said that during the bull trout run, you could "walk across the river" the bull trout are so thick.

I have never fished the Elk but next time I will forego the rafting and definitely bring the rods.

It is also a river to be respected downstream of Elko.

The guides showed us time-stamped pictures of rocks the size of vans in the river one day....and gone the next!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
around Edmonton, your best bet are the stream up around Whitecourt/Fox Creek/Swan Hills area. just about all the streams up in that area will have bulls in them if there are grayling and rockies present. Little Smoky has a decent population of them, Berland has them, Athabasca although tough to shore fish unless you know where along with most of the larger streams in the area. find a nice looking pool and tie on a large streamer (i like white and red streamers) and chuck them in the pool. should get one or two that way.
there are also a few streams around Nordegg area that have them. Brown creek is pretty good (or used to be the last time i fished it about 5 yrs ago). caught some decent sized ones out of it. the N Sask has a decent population of bulls, caught a few at the bridge over the Trunk rd.
farther south just about all the streams in the Kanaskis and Crowsnest area have decent populations of bulls. Livingstone has some monster bulls in it, but tough to get with all the cutties around.
as far as flies, big streamers are the way to go. have caught a few on stimulators and grasshopper patterns but better success on streamers. i like the white red colored streamers with a bit of silver flash in them.

pick up a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide as it has pretty decent info on what ea river contains as far a species. gives you a starting point at least.

good luck
Mike
Thanks a ton I'll have to go check out near whitecourt

Old 08-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Clearwater river
Tie on a huge streamer or zonker and walk & fish it, great chance your going hook one.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 PM

mikeym gave some good information but I think he is optimistic with Whitecourt and Swan Hills.

Bulls are a cold water fish found almost exclusively in the headwaters of our major river systems. Your chances of catching one will increase significantly the closer you get towards the mountains.

Think closer along the lines of Grand Prairie, Grand Cache, Hinton, Nordegg etc.

As others said pick up a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide and take a read through it and it will give you a few more starting points.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
mikeym gave some good information but I think he is optimistic with Whitecourt and Swan Hills.

Bulls are a cold water fish found almost exclusively in the headwaters of our major river systems. Your chances of catching one will increase significantly the closer you get towards the mountains.

Think closer along the lines of Grand Prairie, Grand Cache, Hinton, Nordegg etc.

As others said pick up a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide and take a read through it and it will give you a few more starting points.
Yup. Swan hills, fox, and white court are getting pretty deep into the interior. Get to the foothills.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Not very often st whitecourt and swan hills as far is I have found. if you travel down 947 road there is some to be caught on berland river. I think I caught 3 around whitecourt one was in Groat creek but I don't think that will happen again.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:04 AM

They are all along the west side of the province, start looking west of Hwy 22 and preferably west of the trunk road.
Quickest for you may be to head to the Hinton area and hit some of the smaller rivers/streams that dump into the Athab, they'll be in the deepest holes in the slacknest water. Find a deep pool on a bend with a log jam and your good to go.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

Thanks, ya I've picked up Barry Mitchell book early in the season, just never truly believe what I read. Would rather hear from people who have had success

Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solominotaur View Post
Thanks, ya I've picked up Barry Mitchell book early in the season, just never truly believe what I read. Would rather hear from people who have had success

Barry Mitchell has likely caught more trout in his lifetime than all the contributors to this board combined (excepting of course his old fishing buddy Bamboo Don!!!!!)

Last edited by Pikebreath; 08-14-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Barry put in more miles with waders in streams and boats on lakes than most people here combined. He researched the waters, constantly talked to fishermen chasing all species. His research created one of the best overviews of lakes and streams out there. This based on being a very successful fisher himself, and knowing a host of others from guides to dedicated industry professionals.

Anyone who would discount his wonderful lifetime body of work has missed the boat completely.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:

As others said Barry has probably had more success then all of us combined and he was also far more willing to share information then almost all of us on here(which some including myself will tell you kind of sucks because he gave so much good information away that many used to be great spots are only mediocre spots now). You do have to take some of the sizes with a grain of salt as some of the rivers and lakes don't produce as good as they did when he researched them(or in some cases produce better) but overall it is by far the best resource for giving a guy an idea where to start.

The fun is in the exploring and the guide will help you narrow it down to a handful of rivers then get on google maps etc and start researching access points and figuring out a plan of attack.

Catching a bull trout should be easy. Just go to one of the main rivers with them and start covering ground and you should find one easy enough. Catching a big bull trout is harder, you need to put in the hours and try to get to spots others aren't willing to go. Sometimes you get lucky and get one easy but the more effort you put in the better chance you will have of being rewarded.

I want to catch a big bull trout and have been researching it a lot. All I will say is if you start digging you can find some good information to help you out in your search.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Looking to knock bull trout off my list of species of fish to catch( only a couple remaining for the year) but don't even know which river or stream to start looking. Seems most have them but I've had 0 luck hooking one

Hey solo,

I am in Calgary so it isn't such a drive for me. But if you end up deciding on a road trip down this way, I ticked a few bulls off in the Oldman river this year around pincher creek. Hooked into some nice bows too.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
Hey solo,

I am in Calgary so it isn't such a drive for me. But if you end up deciding on a road trip down this way, I ticked a few bulls off in the Oldman river this year around pincher creek. Hooked into some nice bows too.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk
I've always wanted to fish that far south, thanks for the in for I'll have to check it out

Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I've always wanted to fish that far south, thanks for the in for I'll have to check it out

Find plunge pools and cast 8 -10 inch streamers directly into the foam. Then hang on.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by highwood; 08-15-2017 at 08:21 AM.