Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 AM

Default First compound bow

I've been an archer since I was 6-7 when i got my first red bear, and have always shot traditional, recurves and long bows. My father in law just bought himself an brand new compound and gave me his old one it's really old an Eagle I believe the I think he said mid- late 80's. My question is, is the draw weight and length adjustable he's not sure and it's a bit heavier than I like (would guess 80#) and about an inch too long. I'm used to anchoring at the corner of my mouth and this one draws about half way to my ear. Any help would be Apperciated. Oh one more thing holy shizz this thing is LOUD!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

is that an ONEIDA eagle? way cool invention for its time if it is. of course the technology is archaic by todays standards, but back then it was outrageous.

honestly, i wouldnt shoot an 80s bow with wood limbs myself. i wouldnt feel safe. just hang that sucker on the wall and admire the cool eminating from it. and maybe post a pic for those who have never seen one.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:25 PM

Default compound

I doubt that it is 80 lbs. just by the fact that they don't sell many in that poundage. Most are in the range of 50-60 or 60-70 lbs, some have a 15 lb. range. A 70 lb. bow takes a bit of strength to pull, I see a lot of 70 lb. bows at our club with the limb bolts backed out quite a ways. Some people are just to proud to buy a wimpy 50-60 lb. bow.
I have 2 Hoyt Spyder 34's 50-60 and shoot them maxed out which is actually at 62 lbs. They are plenty fast and would shoot through most game animals.
You should be able to turn down the bow weight 10-15 pounds and your back muscles will get used to drawing the bow after a while. Good luck, Roscoe
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Whether it is the ONEIDA Eagle or A Golden Eagle bow both inovative and ahead of their time... outstanding bows....

I shot most of the Golden Eagles before Mathews came along...Golden Eagle inovated many of the designs we see in compounds today...

The Reason I think its a Golden eagle over an Oneida Eagle was a trademark of the Golden Arrow bows was there attractive wood laminate /compisite limbs and high poundage bows..80lb 90 lb and even 100 lb compounds..

they werent that noisy for the time...but like any bow you need to put new strings on it and have it re-spec tuned...

they are heavy and a little slower compared to todays bows but will do the job if the nut behind the string does his...lol

Neil