Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Default best 4wt

so im in the market for a light weight versitile fly rod that i can use in the small mountain lakes and in small streams and rivers for dries
i dont mind if the rod is only suited for small streams because thats my main purpose but the small lake ability would be better
what would be the best model length, reel and line for this
i dont mind paying the highest dollar for great equipment
thanks in advance

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Have a look into the winston b3x 8'6"

It is one sweet rod. I use it to toss flies and the presentation is pretty soft. I also have used it to nymph and throw streamers that I throw with my 5 and 6 weight and it holds up really nice.

It is a very versatile rod. I suggest going to try casting one or feeling it in your hand. The 4 wt was the first winston I owned and since that rod I now switched my 5 wt 6 wt 7-8 wt spey all to winston biiix.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 PM

You need to go try a bunch as everyone has their opinion and preferences. My goto 4 wt for backcountry (for lakes) is a custom Dancraft five rivers LT 6 piece. For rivers is a 8' 3 wt Custom Dancraft five rivers LT 5 piece.

Winston makes great rods (I have 2 of the aforementioned) and the BIIIx 4 wt comes in a 5 piece!! $795+ is retail on it though!!

Just go chuck a bunch and then decide!!

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 06-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 PM

I love my Hardy Zenith 9' #4. Great rod with either a DT line or something like the SA VPS. I've also cast a friend 9' #4 Sage One (with Rio Gold #4 line), which is a great rod, but a hair quick if you want to fish mostly small streams -it isn't designed to cast 15 feet all day, and excels at about 25-65 feet. The Zentih is a touch slower in the tip for short casts, but it can handle large fish, throwing streamers etc when it comes to it.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
I love my Hardy Zenith 9' #4. Great rod with either a DT line or something like the SA VPS. I've also cast a friend 9' #4 Sage One (with Rio Gold #4 line), which is a great rod, but a hair quick if you want to fish mostly small streams -it isn't designed to cast 15 feet all day, and excels at about 25-65 feet. The Zentih is a touch slower in the tip for short casts, but it can handle large fish, throwing streamers etc when it comes to it.
Bang on my thoughts exactly!
With your budget,a 9' Zenith topped with a nice Hardy reel of course....Bougle,Perfect,Princess.....wutever(?).. ..spooled with Airflo Sixth Sense,nice rig!
If you like a faster rod,Sage One,slower rod,Sage Circa,mount a Hardy on those or if you like a LA click/pawl reel,an Abel Creek2,same AF 6S line....sweeeeeeeet!

All that said,opinions are like....well you know,everybody's got one.In the end you'll have to decide for yourself,best way to do that is visit a good flyshop or three and test drive them.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Here is some reading material for you.

Pretty good write ups on many 4wt.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ut-gear-review
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM

If you have some deep pockets go with the Orvis superfine!!! Allows for some precision presentation. The hardy marksman 2 is a pretty dope fly rod as well. Check them out!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM

winston BIIMX 9' 4wt.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
Here is some reading material for you.

Pretty good write ups on many 4wt.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ut-gear-review
No disrespect but these guys check to see where their bread is buttered before making a review.

Rods that were awesome last year (the Winston Passport 5 wt. for example) are absolute garbage this year. It was so ridiculous they had to delete some of last years results because the contradictions were laughable.

If you do a quick search of the fly fishing forums, most all agree this shoot out has become a joke.

The Hardy Zenith for example scored 19 points at 25 ft but 20 points at 60 ft for presentation. I'd much rather have 20 pts at 25 ft and under than 20 pts at 60 ft in a 4 wt. rod yet the Hardy wins it. If your 4 wt. delivers flies at 60 ft perfectly you most likely have a 5 wt. with 4 written on it.

And on that note to the OP, you should check out some of the 3 wts as well. The Sage One for example in 3 wt feels like a very nice 4 wt to me.

I have the Sage ZXL 8'6" 4 wt. and absolutely love it. It has the same generation 5 technology as the Z-Axis but didn't get the fan fair because it was over shadowed by the Z. It is slightly slower (med fast) than the Z but drops dry flies delicately and protects fine tippet. I got into some 15-20+ inch browns before the rain and I know I wouldn't have landed (or even hooked) the majority of these fish with the Z-Axis. Some made some impressive runs and I figured they were gone, but the 3 lb test tippet held as this rod just absorbs the stress.

It is not made for 60 ft casts with me at the controls but 40-50 are no problem with accuracy.

I picked it up on clearance at a very reasonable price, matched it up with a Hardy Ultralite DD and SA mastery series regular 4 wt. line. It doesn't need the 1/2 size overweight like most of the faster rods.

Small stream and this set up is as close to Heaven as you can get and still be breathing IMHO.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Winston BIIIx 8 1/2' 4wt
Winston GVX Select 8 1/2' 4wt
Sage ZXL 8 1/2' 4wt
Loomis Whisper creeks are nice casting rods as well
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
Winston BIIIx 8 1/2' 4wt
Winston GVX Select 8 1/2' 4wt
Sage ZXL 8 1/2' 4wt
Loomis Whisper creeks are nice casting rods as well
Speaking of Sage ZXL....Fish Tales fly shop had this rod for 40% off a few weeks ago. You can call them and try swinging it if your interested.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Banned

For your requirements I use two four weight rods.

A nine foot and a seven foot three.

The reels and lines can be used for both rods.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
For your requirements I use two four weight rods.

A nine foot and a seven foot three.

The reels and lines can be used for both rods.
I agree, a fast 4wt 9 ft would be more suited to small lakes than my ZXL especially if it were to get breezy. My son has a RS4 Redington that is perfect for this application with weight and 1/2 line. This particular rod has very nice finish and nicer components than the Sage Z-Axis or ZXL. It is quite fast but still has great feel if you can find one. They were discontinued a while back but there is still a few around.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Here's my pack rod, love it:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=7445

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM

486 ZXL, the ZXL's are my favorite sticks for drys until you get into the sub 2wts. Line it with a Rio Trout LT. My choice of real would be a Sage Click IV

The other suggestion is the 390 One, it will chuck drys, nymphs or small single streamer rigs, an excellent all around creek rod.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Gotta give a shout out for Pieroway fly rods - I have a 4wt of theirs that I absolutely love. Locally owned and built too

http://pierowayrods.com