Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Default cone head wooley bugger

So I had some time alone tonight and decided to tie up a few flies. What should i tie? How about my favorite fly to toss when the fish arent rising. The black cone head wooley bugger. Anyway I feel like tonights flies worked out well, so I thought I'd throw up a pic... . blauuuuuuuuuaaaaaa...sorry that was my one beer talking.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Some nice ties, fishstix!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-25-2013, 11:19 AM

Those look awesome, nice work!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Sweet - my favorite by far... Try a few browns next time you're at the bench. Stillwater trout absolutely lovem
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 AM

My favourite fly to tie and fish with as well! Do you use tungsten cones?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 AM

I've fly fished for a couple years now, solely stillwaters and have never had much luck with a wooly bugger. I typically inidcator fish with nymphs, cronies, leeches. How do you guys fish the wooly bugger? Intermediate sinking line slow retrieve? Please help me, sounds like I'm missing out.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM

I fish in small creeks with the WB in early season. Floating line. Cast straight across. Strip retrieve. I work any bend, pool, bank, big rock, drop off, overhanging brush and select shadows. I usually only cover a km or two during most outings.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedFisher View Post
I've fly fished for a couple years now, solely stillwaters and have never had much luck with a wooly bugger. I typically inidcator fish with nymphs, cronies, leeches. How do you guys fish the wooly bugger? Intermediate sinking line slow retrieve? Please help me, sounds like I'm missing out.
With an intermediate line, no bead or cone. With floating line, bead or cone. I find most buggers are overdressed, find one with sparse soft hackle and a sparse tail that is not blunt. If you tie, take your marabou off the side of the feather not the tip, the tip is what gives bad buggers, their poor action and blunt look. A bugger made from the right materials just looks good in the water, every part of it breaths with every twitch from you.

Thomas Sowell