Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Beaver Lake

Heard rumors it might be turning into a trophy lake? Anyone know if its true or do we have to wait until regs come out?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM

It has the potential. It gets pounded pretty hard though. Hopefully there will be more eyes on it if it does become trophy status.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM

Theres ALOT of lakes in the area that have the potencial to be turned into trophy lakes with the right managment. I really hope they decided to go ahead with it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post
Heard rumors it might be turning into a trophy lake? Anyone know if its true or do we have to wait until regs come out?
Beaver Lake by Lac La Biche?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM

out Caroline way bro.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Catch and Release !
Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

You seem like my type of guys. Would be nice if it went straight C&R, Phyllis to. Imagine some of those Broods that are 12# + when stocked after a good 5 years in that lake, they would be monsters.

It would be nice if they gave us a mountain lake that was straight C&R and had broods in it to. About 20 put and take lakes, I figure 1-2 C&R rainbow trout lakes would be nice.

Anyone know where they stock the retired Browns and other trout they use for breeding? Only ever landed one Brown and that was in the bow.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
You seem like my type of guys. Would be nice if it went straight C&R, Phyllis to. Imagine some of those Broods that are 12# + when stocked after a good 5 years in that lake, they would be monsters.

It would be nice if they gave us a mountain lake that was straight C&R and had broods in it to. About 20 put and take lakes, I figure 1-2 C&R rainbow trout lakes would be nice.

Anyone know where they stock the retired Browns and other trout they use for breeding? Only ever landed one Brown and that was in the bow.
Broods are not well fighting fish. Broods are meant for surprising people at put and take lakes. Not to be raised, and then added to trophy lakes. Not to mention, are usually never pretty to look at, and die after a couple of months of being exposed to that kind of environment after coming from concrete pools. I'd rather be catching the fish that have survived in the environment on their own and nature has selected the best individuals. And lets be honest, you can catch broods on a piece of brown foam lashed to a hook. Looks like a pellet....

But if broods are your thing, There are a few lakes in the mountains you may like though, fish lake in nordegg gets broods, same with the nordegg trout ponds.

Just look at the stocking reports, you'll find other lakes in the mountains that receive their share of broods.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Theres ALOT of lakes in the area that have the potencial to be turned into trophy lakes with the right managment. I really hope they decided to go ahead with it.
X10! They should be stocking Walleye in Burntstick.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM

if you go top mywildalberta site,you will get all the answers regarding the survey on the lake.imo if they are going to name a lake a quality lk.then it should be c&r,no ice fishing....
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
if you go top mywildalberta site,you will get all the answers regarding the survey on the lake.imo if they are going to name a lake a quality lk.then it should be c&r,no ice fishing....
Still not sure what ice-fishing has to do with it? If there's a bait ban, and people release the fish properly, ice-fishing shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I'd like to see them try a harvest of one under 18" there. They don't have a single lake set up that way here in Alberta (that I am aware) but is the model for what Manitoba does, with GREAT success. Not sure what our reluctance is? Seems like a good compromise between different types of fishermen.

Regardless, if they reduce the harvest limit, AND reduce the numbers of fish they stock, AND create more quality fisheries to relieve the pressure of places like Beaver, then perhaps we'll finally see an increase in the quality of fish at Beaver as well. Here's hoping.

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Just took a peak at the 2013 regs. Looks like Beaver is C&R now

FINALLY SRD acted.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Perch in Phyllis will always cause a problem for food availability and marginal growth rates.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Perch in Phyllis will always cause a problem for food availability and marginal growth rates.
Iv taken throat samples from trout in Phyllis both broods and stockers and there bellys were empty in mid summer. Not much for forage with only sandy bottom but when the perch are in their its tough to make a living when your a trout.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtoad View Post
just took a peak at the 2013 regs. Looks like beaver is c&r now :sha_shakeshout:

finally srd acted.
i think someone said that already
Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Broods are not well fighting fish. Broods are meant for surprising people at put and take lakes. Not to be raised, and then added to trophy lakes. Not to mention, are usually never pretty to look at, and die after a couple of months of being exposed to that kind of environment after coming from concrete pools. I'd rather be catching the fish that have survived in the environment on their own and nature has selected the best individuals. And lets be honest, you can catch broods on a piece of brown foam lashed to a hook. Looks like a pellet....

But if broods are your thing, There are a few lakes in the mountains you may like though, fish lake in nordegg gets broods, same with the nordegg trout ponds.

Just look at the stocking reports, you'll find other lakes in the mountains that receive their share of broods.
Thanks, Nordegg is a long way for a drive from Calgary, but I'll take a gander at the chart lol

The Broods I caught in the fall put up a decent fight, mind you the handful of Rainbows I've caught in the bow put up a decent fight to.

Birch lake should go to C&R to. Get all the put and take fisherman out of the area.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Thumbs down Birch Lake

I think it may be over for Birch lake, skunked again today. Not sure why they aerate it if they don't stock it? Only three years ago I could always get three or four out of there now nothing. Use same techniques and same area. I would like to know what changed in the lake.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post
I think it may be over for Birch lake, skunked again today. Not sure why they aerate it if they don't stock it? Only three years ago I could always get three or four out of there now nothing. Use same techniques and same area. I would like to know what changed in the lake.
More people and more anti conservationist types. Lots of people keep their limit and have zero regards for fisheries. A lot of people in this province have zero regards for the state of our fisheries and just want to take everything they can.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM

popularity causes a few things such as it's been fished out,shame because it was stocked with tripoloids.which cost almost twice that of dipoloids to raise.srd is trying to improve fisheries,but they seem to be slow learners.....
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 PM

I heard Birch was going to be stocked with Rainbows to relieve some of the pressure on Beaver. It would make sense as seldom is there anyone fishing Birch in the summer time.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I heard Birch was going to be stocked with Rainbows to relieve some of the pressure on Beaver. It would make sense as seldom is there anyone fishing Birch in the summer time.
They can stock it with whatever they want but if they still allow a limit of 5 of any size, you can bet it'll be fished out once again.

I'm feeling like a broken record cause I've said this a number of times but...if a lake is aerated to overwinter fish, then the limits should be 1 or none. I think it just makes a little too much sense, must be why SRD is so reluctant to go for it....

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
They can stock it with whatever they want but if they still allow a limit of 5 of any size, you can bet it'll be fished out once again.

I'm feeling like a broken record cause I've said this a number of times but...if a lake is aerated to overwinter fish, then the limits should be 1 or none. I think it just makes a little too much sense, must be why SRD is so reluctant to go for it....

Cheers.
Agreed.. but is it really fished out because at this time of year Brookies can VERY tough to catch...

Have you spoke with the local bio for F and W as its his call on season and limits?Maybe a mix of Rainbows and Brookies would be better and yes a
smaller limt ibut Millers has a lots of fish and is similar to Birch.