Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Default Runoff this year?

Just curious to hear what you guys think run off will be like this year? With little snow plus melting temps I am thinking (more like hoping) runoff will be minimal this spring. Your thoughts? (Unless of course we get a huge dump of snow in march)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM

So I am from Lethbridge, where we have had an absolute beauty of a winter! In fact it has not even felt like winter most of the time. This was the case last year as well and I got my hopes up about runoff. I have come to the realization that the mountains still get a tremendous amount of snow both last year and this year, and that runoff will run its usual course and keep me off the rivers. I would LOVE if we were out for a week or two, but I suspect it will be the same as always, with high waters well into June. I have however noticed that there is some great fishing to be had prior to runoff and you can probably fish well into march maybe april depending on the temperatures.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM

R.unoff is always variable. One of the shortest runoff periods I have experienced up here occurred after a near record snowfall year.
In October 2006 we got 4 feet of snow followed by 6 months of continued snow. By May of 2007 there was still 3-4 feet of snow at elevations of only about 1200 m asl. The rivers were al blown out soon after however, they were clean again by the first week of July (the earliest that I have ever been able to fish all rivers).

Years with lighter snow packs have had runoff seasons that extend well into July and pushing August.

I think the big question is will we have yet another spring/summer full of rain? Last year had an amazing start followed by massive flooding all through western Alberta and B.C.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclung View Post
So I am from Lethbridge, where we have had an absolute beauty of a winter! In fact it has not even felt like winter most of the time. This was the case last year as well and I got my hopes up about runoff. I have come to the realization that the mountains still get a tremendous amount of snow both last year and this year, and that runoff will run its usual course and keep me off the rivers. I would LOVE if we were out for a week or two, but I suspect it will be the same as always, with high waters well into June. I have however noticed that there is some great fishing to be had prior to runoff and you can probably fish well into march maybe april depending on the temperatures.

I too am from Leth... I fly fish all winter long!!

Rain/snow/warm/cold... doesn't matter. As long as its not 100kph winds, flyfishing is usually doable.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I too am from Leth... I fly fish all winter long!!

Rain/snow/warm/cold... doesn't matter. As long as its not 100kph winds, flyfishing is usually doable.
So true, though the wind is worth it as it allows us to fly fish a little more than just a few kilometres here and there. Couple lakes are almost ready to go too, nothing like pitching a fly in February...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 PM

We need good runoffs for the lakes and reservoirs. Here on prairie we need some runofff to fill our dugouts and dams.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm thinking we will have plenty to spare, if you'd like some.

We have near record snowfall and the winters not over. Plus we had a wet fall and a lot of the ground is covered by ice, under all that snow.

My neighbour is building a boat forty cubits long, I wonder if he knows something I don't?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I'm thinking we will have plenty to spare, if you'd like some.

We have near record snowfall
and the winters not over. Plus we had a wet fall and a lot of the ground is covered by ice, under all that snow.

My neighbour is building a boat forty cubits long, I wonder if he knows something I don't?
I have heard this every year for like 4 years. Is it really like this?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM

it is what it is and happens when it happens....
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 AM

Our snow over down here seems pretty light.
But Feb isn't over yet and we could still get lots.
I'm kindof hoping that runoff goes fast and early.

I only got one afternoon of salmon flies last year....
I need more of that in my life this year!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Is there much snow around st paul area? Just wondering if there might be enough to bring up lake levels.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Ground has lots of moisture in it. We have rural roads that you can see over the snow plow banks. I'm thinking there's going to be a lot of run off.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Hopefully lots of run off as we need it with a lot of water bodies pretty much dried up
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM

I expect we will have a typical, significant run-off in central alberta.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Beat View Post
Just curious to hear what you guys think run off will be like this year? With little snow plus melting temps I am thinking (more like hoping) runoff will be minimal this spring. Your thoughts? (Unless of course we get a huge dump of snow in march)
The mountains have had significant snow. Last year, the heavy and late runoff was caused by a record snow-pack, a cool spring, followed by a typical wet June. I think that it is almost impossible to predict the run-off until mid-May.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM

I'm from Bragg Creek. I live at 4375 feet and our highest average snowfall month (in the past 22 years) has been may. Yes, it has been a mild winter, but there's still a foot of snow in the pasture here and I'd be surprised if we didn't get a few feet more this spring.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM

The normal run off at this time of year is usually pretty bad from the streets. This year not so much and the shore ice that is usually three or four feet out from the bank is not there. so hopefully it will be sufficient later this year
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

We got plenty of snow just north of Edmonton this winter. IMO the Spring melt has as much to do with the amount of run off that there is. If it's a quick melt as opposed to a slow, constant one then there should be a significant amount of run off. A few years ago our lakes, sloughs, dugouts, etc were very low and they could use another good Spring run off this year. With all of the frozen moisture still in the ground from last year I'm optimistic that the run off will be good this year.