Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Mounting a trolling motor on pontoon (Back)

I got myself a pontoon boat 2 years ago and im thinking of mounting a trolling motor to the back of it. It doesnt have a solid platform only a metel tube with some mesh to hold items. How have you guys coped with this problem?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM

You might be able to build something for it, you'd need nylon strapping, a 2x4, L joints, Plywood, high density foam strips, and some small accessories. But the structural integrity of the boat maybe a bit compromised by DIY stuff strapped on. Not sure. If you have the $$ you might want to invest in a new one that has a actual mount.
I think Jeremie worked something else worked out for his, I can't remember if his was exactly like yours, send him a pm.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 AM

what boat model is it that ur putting it on ?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM

I have one and only rarely use it unless I Know I Will have to travel distance to get to the place I am fishing for example crossing a lake, portaging and fishing another lake. I have an old Fishcat 9 which has the motor mount but is very difficult to steer. There are some attachable ruter-like things but I have not bothered. I don't troll with it but just use it as transportation.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM

i designed a steering rod for mine with a toggle switch to control the power. works perfect, posted some pics on here awhile ago on how to make one.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM

do a search on tricked out pontoon boats in the fishing section, thats where the pics are.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM

I find that the 9 foot pontoons are better for a trolling motor. The shorter the pontoons are the more weight in the back results in a wet butt, I have 2 pontoon boats and one I have a trolling motor on. It has the 9 foot pontoons. My other one the water skeeter, I would have a wet butt. I have no problem steering with the bigger one as I just sit sideways and rest my feet on the pontoon.