Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2008, 09:22 PM

Default whats op with the fish at cow?

Took A Trip Out There On Saturday, Good Action But Thin ,thin Fish.
Can Almost Use The Fillets As Contact Lenses Their So Thin. Anyone Know How Come?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 PM

overpopulated with small perch maybe eating themselves to starvation.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 AM
TundraBuck

I don't have a problem getting bigger fish. You just need to experiment and move around.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:25 PM

I think tundra is right because I went there on Sat and it sucked. I gave up after 2 hours of fishing. Caught 2 that were 7 inches and the rest were minnows. Did not see any big ones. Fished off to the left when you hit the lake at 5 or 6 feet of water. I had the kids out and had 7 tip ups and not one got hit in the 2 hours. I ended up going to Sylvan after that.
I think if a guy learned how to find the fish there he would do well. I didn't give the lake a chance but want to do it again and try to ove till I find some bigger fish. There were tons of small ones.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM

I was out there Saturday too. Fishing wasn't as good for me as it has been. I did get one 11 inches. That was my best. I did see probably 6 or so that were 12-13 inches. Even had about four of them bite but I missed. A little disappointing. I went right from the launch and stayed tight to shore most of the time. I moved around to west and at every hole I did have a chance for a nice one. The big guys are there but you do need to know how to catch them.

Last edited by donrock; 02-18-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-18-2008, 05:25 PM
TundraBuck

Yes, all it takes is some patience and ambition to do it. nube don't get discouraged on the tipups we've put in hours and hours there and only a couple of flags.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
jrs

I still think the density has something to do with it. I have fished it three days this winter and even the biggest ones were skinny compared to similar size fish in other Alberta lakes. I think the pike will help in time though. I never had trouble finding enough perch for supper but i didn't get many keepers my last trip out (10'' cutoff last time). Less fish will mean they get bigger, won't take long for some perch to disappear once the pike get established (I've seen a few lakes with that issue benefit from hungry pike). Time will tell.