Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Default Very Slow 2008

I dont' know how everyone else in doing within a 2 hour radius of Calgary but its been a slow year. Since that cold snap the fish just haven't been hitting. We have had slow days at Gull, Sylvan, and Bears Paw Reservoir, with moderatre luck in Dixion Dan, and Chain Lakes.

"The Ice Man"
Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
TundraBuck

We have had some absolutely awesome days prior to, during, and after the cold snap at Gull, Sylvan, and Dickson Trout Pond. Sylvan we have been catching quite a few walleye and some jumbo perch, along with the odd whitefish. Gull is big pike and burbot, and the odd big whitefish. Dickson Trout Pond, well...
Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Slow 2008

What are you rigging up for Pike? I tried a 4 and 6" smelt on a harness (two twin hooks that suspend the smelt horizontally) but no luck with the Pike.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Well i just got back from Chain and had another 30+ fish day, ive also had good luck with pike too. Guess the fish just dont like you

AKA MAVERICK
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Don't feel bad Ice Man,we JUST got back from Gull and nothin'.We spent 5hrs there and the g/f got 1 bite about 10minutes before we left.
We're soo new to the ice fishing game,today was only our 3rd time.
We were at Pine Lake Saturday and nothin',about a month ago we were at Buffalo Lake and same thing,nothin'.
Today's "bite" was the first for either of us ice fishin'.
I know you can't catch every time but after spending approx 15hrs out on the ice with nothin' but 1 nibble,I'm startin' to second guess this hard water fishin'.

Ragg
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
TundraBuck

Iceman I make some homemade quickstrike rigs similar to those pike harnesses. I use at least 7 inch baits, usually 10 - 12 inch herring or suckers (dead). You need to find structure and where pike are, that's the biggest factor is where you're fishing. Any baitfish will catch pike, if they are there. Next time your out, look for a little fishing village on the ice and ask them what they're catching. If they're getting pike fish in that area. Also check out depth charts on anglers atlas website and find drop offs and things like that.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 AM

TundraBuck,I was wondering HOW these people are finding dropoffs and such thru the ice,now you answered it for ME.
I figured some of these guys had x-rax vision.
Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
TundraBuck

Nooo much simpler ways than that lol. Glad I could be a help, always happy to see people catching fish.