Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 01:36 PM

Default First time hunter

Hello all,

This will be my first season hunting. I plan on day hunting in 344 for deer with a bow. Was wondering about my daypack contents and anything that experience has taught you to bring along that someone starting out wouldn’t think to bring. As of right now I have a hydration bladder, first aid kit, game processing kit, game bags,dry snacks, bear bangers and spray, a fixed blade knife, scent checker , compass and map for the area. Any useful tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:38 PM

A sit-pad. It'll keep your butt dry and comfortable as you'll probably want to sit as least some. I really prefer a tripod for my binos as well.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:54 PM

Add what ever it takes for you to spend a couple nights in the bush. Bug nets and space blanket should be in there.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:19 PM

I would also add a thermacell for keeping bugs away, and a headlamp. Preferably one with a green or red light. I have good luck sneaking in the darkness before and after light with green.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Take a pic from the spot you took your shot to were the animal was as a point of reference for when the tracking begins. Oh and flagging tape to mark blood spots and your downed animal and the route out.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 PM

An arms length piece of Butcher twine to tie of the intestine at the anus and a small compass. Phones are great till the battery dies or the signal isn't there. Bic lighter x 2, fire is always a good thing. Flash light, preferably a headlamp type so you have light if cleaning in the dark. Small diamond steel/sharpener for touching up your knife. A shoulder drag kit, makes pulling deer WAY easier and leaves your hands free for your bow etc. They make a two shoulder version but I like the single shoulder, works good, two guys can use one each and they pack up small. The single drag works better if you put it over your head and one shoulder. Small first aide kit, arrows, knives and lots of other sharp stuff will conspire to poke holes in you somewhere along the line.

Pack as light as you can. It weighs a lot more coming out, especially dragging a deer. Best of luck and have fun.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your tips. I have some more shopping to do!
Old 08-23-2019, 04:16 PM

Game processing kit? You need gloves and a knife. Maybe a multi tool. That’s it.

Bear bangers are generally not worth it. You can easily scare the bear the wrong way (over shoot and the bear runs towards you). Also, buy a bear tag. Annoying as hell to have a nice animal at 30 yards and no tag.

Paracord - enough to tie all four legs (separately) 15 ft up a tree. Take the tenderloins, backstraps, head and other loose meat out on the first trip.

344 is bush so you’re packing meat out, not dragging, unless you have a quad. Make sure you and your pack are up to it, and you know how to break down an animal.

Extra pair of socks in the pack. Change em out when wet and/or you kill something and leave your used ones by the meat tree or carcass. Helps deter some scavengers and keeps your feet good for the hard work.

Red Bull in the truck for when you need to pack meat.

I skip the bladder and use bottles, bladders leak often and you can’t easily see how much you have left. Easy to drink/pizz it all out in the morning and not have enough for later.

TOILET PAPER
Old 08-23-2019, 04:44 PM

This might help.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=45380

There are no absolutes
Old 08-23-2019, 04:48 PM

I like to keep a couple large ziploc bags in case I get any small game or birds while I am out. Maybe a folding set of hex keys for the bow as well?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Wet ones.They also clean bloody hands.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Flashlight and/or headlamp are a must .

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Use TP for marking blood instead of flagging. Dual purpose, easy to spot, and biodegradable. A 2" square stuck on a branch is easy to see.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Use TP for marking blood instead of flagging. Dual purpose, easy to spot, and biodegradable. A 2" square stuck on a branch is easy to see.
Better idea.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 PM

Default Use

I keep a candle in my pack with lighter