Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2019, 08:08 PM

Default Note to Self:

When collecting grass seed for seeding that section of the lawn that you've been meaning to get to, try spreading it out pronto. Leaving it in your garden shed for 1.25 terms of government seems to have attracted quite a mouse population

The depth of the turds in there are unreal and the stink is awful. I've vacuumed up the grass seed that they somehow managed to spread to a 1" depth a full 4 feet from where the bags were. I've removed a lot of the items from the shed but am still only 1/3 of the way into the job. Once its fully empty I'll spray it down with disinfectant cleaner, let that sit and then pressure wash it out. Then its washing down every item that I won't be turfing. I'm not quite sure why they've also been into the fertilizer.....
Old 06-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Ouch. I feel your pain.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 PM

I wasn't aware I had mice in the garage until I moved the grass seed and some seed fell out. Sure enough, there was a jagged little hole near the bottom of the bag. I moved it, birdseed, everything, into a metal school locker and haven't had an issue since.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 PM

Had I not left it so long it wouldn't be nearly so bad, I'd just not needed in there for quite a while. I'm going to be trenching out a conduit so that it has lights and a couple of outlets (I've got a circuit ready at a junction box on the exterior of the house). Once I weeded through it I realized I should have been in there more frequently, there was a reasonable bit of work inventory in there that I could have used/sold. Heck, there was a milk crate of new 2" cam-lock pump discharge hose that I bought during the 2013 flood that I've never had cause to use, I thought I'd be attending more de-watering jobs when that event happened.

All this mess to clean and I forgot that I need to get a new pressure washer hose & wand as that froze and split last year, I'd forgotten that I'd not replaced that yet and I spent 45 minutes looking for the thing I already threw into a roll-off dumpster last year (Walking Buffalo was over back then, many thanks for that assist my friend!). Arrghh, memory like that and I'm not even 50 yet!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
When collecting grass seed for seeding that section of the lawn that you've been meaning to get to, try spreading it out pronto. Leaving it in your garden shed for 1.25 terms of government seems to have attracted quite a mouse population

The depth of the turds in there are unreal and the stink is awful. I've vacuumed up the grass seed that they somehow managed to spread to a 1" depth a full 4 feet from where the bags were. I've removed a lot of the items from the shed but am still only 1/3 of the way into the job. Once its fully empty I'll spray it down with disinfectant cleaner, let that sit and then pressure wash it out. Then its washing down every item that I won't be turfing. I'm not quite sure why they've also been into the fertilizer.....
You too huh?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:15 AM

When I sterilize my bird houses I use Virkon.
Normally get it at feed stores....
Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I fill my lawn mower and gas trimmer in the shed....over spill of gas keeps the critters away.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-01-2019, 07:40 AM

Learned this one a few years ago. Helluva mess to clean up
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I’ll probably just use Mr Clean, that stuff kills most germs and should help with the scent. I’ll wash down the shelves as well and they should fare alright as they’re painted with grey floor paint. Another coat will go on if necessary. I may even paint the ceiling white to brighten the thing up.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 AM

There was a sack of seed, perhaps rye grass, hung in the rafters of our club storage garage.
You guessed it, nothing but hulls left in the sack.
Hanging in the rafters isn't good enough .
Old 07-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Wear rubber gloves , mask and use Spray Nine.We had mouse problem during renovation of the Offices this spring .Health and Safety got this information from AHS
Spray Nine is easy-to-use and find . I guess it kills most viruses and is easy on most surfaces . Ps. remove dead mice and traps before the Ladies in Accounting get in the morning 's .Just saying .
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 AM

You're most susceptible to inhaling Hantavirus During the cleanup.

Wear a niosh respirator!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I fill my lawn mower and gas trimmer in the shed....over spill of gas keeps the critters away.....
Same. Floor is so soaked after years of gas and oil from the odd spill if it ever goes up it will be quite the show! Never seen mouse sign in there ever.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2019, 09:56 AM

I created an accidental (but very effective) mouse trap. I had an old shop vac that I left in an unused building at the farm, the hose was simply laying on the floor. It was there for a couple of years.

One day I went in there and wondered what smelled so bad; I finally looked in the old shop vac and found about 4” of dead mice in it, in various stages of anywhere from skeletons to rotten. They’d go up the hose, fall in the bucket and not be able to get out. Cruel, but unintentional.

I dumped it, put in a gallon of used oil, and set it back....
Old 07-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
I created an accidental (but very effective) mouse trap. I had an old shop vac that I left in an unused building at the farm, the hose was simply laying on the floor. It was there for a couple of years.

One day I went in there and wondered what smelled so bad; I finally looked in the old shop vac and found about 4” of dead mice in it, in various stages of anywhere from skeletons to rotten. They’d go up the hose, fall in the bucket and not be able to get out. Cruel, but unintentional.

I dumped it, put in a gallon of used oil, and set it back....
I like that I have one at my shop I may do that

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk