Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
No, but I've ventilated quite a few....
How many of them died?
Because new studies are showing that ventilating covid patients as opposed to just giving them oxygen was likely behind a lot of the deaths early on.
If your in the medical field I'm sure you know that already though, as AHS has recently changed their criteria for applying a ventilator because of those findings.

Now back to our regular scheduled fear mongering...
Old 08-14-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Scott are you a medical professional that has ventilated children due to Covid related issues?

Congrats Mr Rhetorical.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Scott are you a medical professional that has ventilated children due to Covid related issues?
Not covid. There hasn't been many paediatric cases yet in Canada that required ventilation, but there is a ton of potential this fall.
Isn't something as simple as a mask worth the effort?????
Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's what he wrote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Not covid. There hasn't been many paediatric cases yet in Canada that required ventilation, but there is a ton of potential this fall.
O, really what's a ton? You may want to look at the world wide stats for NICU/PICU admits due to Covid
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
What would the change be where kids may require intensive care due to the vid? Mutation of the virus?
Hasn't been an issue yet......curious is all

How many have actually required ventilation due to the vid to date?
Old 08-14-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
How many of them died?
Because new studies are showing that ventilating covid patients as opposed to just giving them oxygen was likely behind a lot of the deaths early on.
If your in the medical field I'm sure you know that already though, as AHS has recently changed their criteria for applying a ventilator because of those findings.

Now back to our regular scheduled fear mongering...
You are correct. You will be treated different today than you would have been in April. The initial information showed that early intubation was the way to go....now that will be put off depending on how the patient tolerates alternate therapy's.
That may change again in 2 weeks. This is a new disease so everyone should put off getting infected as long as possible.........
Old 08-14-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
LOL !!!! Sorry but people with medical backgrounds have already got themselves and their children well accustomed to wearing masks.
No they don’t.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-14-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
No they don’t.
Maybe not in your circle.....
Old 08-14-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
When you were studying in university you surely remember philosophy right? Do you remember what a Straw Man argument is? In your medical studies you should also be aware how to spell "pediatric"....being a medical professional and all.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
What would the change be where kids may require intensive care due to the vid? Mutation of the virus?
Hasn't been an issue yet......curious is all

How many have actually required ventilation due to the vid to date?
Mutations usually lessen the severity of the virus.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-14-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Mutations usually lessen the severity of the virus.
It's not mutations.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
When you were studying in university you surely remember philosophy right? Do you remember what a Straw Man argument is? In your medical studies you should also be aware how to spell "pediatric"....being a medical professional and all.

https://www.cps.ca/
Old 08-14-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes Scott, I am aware and becoming more amused by the minute.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe not in your circle.....
I can add a bunch more across North America and one in New Zealand. Which BC hospital are you in I may know one of your Co workers to add to the list?

You make very big assumptions that all professionals are on the same page
Old 08-14-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I can add a bunch more across North America and one in New Zealand. Which BC hospital are you in I may know one of your Co workers to add to the list?

You make very big assumptions that all professionals are on the same page
Not all all on the same page, same as in any profession.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
It's not mutations.
What's this even mean? And talking of mutations https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...more-dangerous
Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It's not mutations.
What is it? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 08-14-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
What's this even mean? And talking of mutations https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...more-dangerous
It means that mutation isn't the issue. The problem is that the infection causes many issues that vary case to case. You may have an oxygenation issue with covid, but is it true pneumonia, pulmonary embolus, decreased cardiac output ????
Old 08-14-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
It means that mutation isn't the issue. The problem is that the infection causes many issues that vary case to case. You may have an oxygenation issue with covid, but is it true pneumonia, pulmonary embolus, decreased cardiac output ????
Of course there's several issues the disease is causing, but most of them don't happen in children which is what we're talking about in this thread. The fact is young children very rarely show severe symptoms and the research suggests they are at low risk for transmitting the virus. The decision made by the CBE was not made by medical professionals. It was made by politicians, based on their opinions, not facts.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Of course there's several issues the disease is causing, but most of them don't happen in children which is what we're talking about in this thread. The fact is young children very rarely show severe symptoms and the research suggests they are at low risk for transmitting the virus. The decision made by the CBE was not made by medical professionals. It was made by politicians, based on their opinions, not facts.
I'm glad you're confident that that those issues don't effect children.

https://www.hopkinsallchildrens.org/...s-Study-of-Ant
Old 08-14-2020, 09:57 PM

Odds are the mask rule in school is more about general spread of Covid19 not to protect kids. It also likely about protecting teachers about contracting Covid19

These mask rules from what I understand are likely to do with concerned teachers and parents not suggestions from medical professionals.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Odds are the mask rule in school is more about general spread of Covid19 not to protect kids. It also likely about protecting teachers about contracting Covid19

These mask rules from what I understand are likely to do with concerned teachers and parents not suggestions from medical professionals.
Don't teachers deserve the protection that something as simple as a mask can provide?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you're confident that that those issues don't effect children.

https://www.hopkinsallchildrens.org/...s-Study-of-Ant
No, I'm saying if it isn't safe enough for the kids to go back to school without masks. They shouldn't be going. I personally feel it's safe. Although if our medical authorities require masks, then they're putting kids into a dangerous situation and lining themselves up for a lawsuit. As they're acknowledging it's dangerous due to the mask requirement.

I should also add, I'm concerned about the longterm psychological effect this could have on the kids. Which can't be measured at this point.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Don't teachers deserve the protection that something as simple as a mask can provide?
Quote:
Total Albertan Covid related deaths 220.
Over 80 years old - 149
70-79 years old - 51
60-69 years old - 15
50-59 years old - 2
40-49 years old - 1
30-39 years old - 1
20-29 years old - 1
Under 29 - 0

Well unless those teachers are over the age of 70, looks to me like the odds are with them lol
Old 08-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
No, I'm saying if it isn't safe enough for the kids to go back to school without masks. They shouldn't be going. I personally feel it's safe. Although if our medical authorities require masks, then they're putting kids into a dangerous situation and lining themselves up for a lawsuit. As they're acknowledging it's dangerous due to the mask requirement.
You didn't think the current pandemic was dangerous ????
Old 08-14-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
You didn't think the current pandemic was dangerous ????
I don't think it is, and I believe the research suggests the same. In saying that if you're worried about intubating kids how can you allow them to be put back in school?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Well unless those teachers are over the age of 70, looks to me like the odds are with them lol
The odds of dying are not the same thing as the odds of getting very, very sick.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Now you are using logic and facts against Scotts emotional based arguments. He is a unique snowflake, be kind.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is, and I believe the research suggests the same. In saying that if you're worried about intubating kids how can you allow them to be put back in school?
I'm not the one allowing kids to go back to school and it's known there will be some get sick. Masks are kinda like the argument about wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. It's not that hard to do.