Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 PM

Default Lee Loaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Am I misunderstanding this?^^^ Were you using a mallet to pound live primers into the primer pocket??

Mark
Thats how the classic Lee Loader works. I have one for .303.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default Lee

Wrong Thread
Old 11-30-2016, 07:49 AM

Well, into reloading for less than a year and my first mistake. Loaded 47gr of h-4350 instead of 57 and it cost me a fine buck this year!
Old 12-20-2016, 10:29 PM

Just started reloading last year and man do I like it and the results you get from getting your rounds perfect.
I had a brass break on me this year in the press. It really sucked cause it was the last piece I had to resize that night.
It was my buddies dies and so I needed to fix it right??
Wrong
I tried and could not get the brass out for the life of me so then I started drilling ever so carefully into the die. I made it work for a while and got most of the brass out. I then used a drill hit a bit to big and man do I screw the die over.

Moral of the story when a brass gets stuck In the die just put it down and send it into get it fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I've been lucky I guess, no mistakes yet.
Then too I don't shoot a lot. Maybe 40 or 50 centerfire a year.

I do shoot two or three bricks of 22 and a box or two of 22 mag, but of course I don't reload them.

The worst I've had happen is, I've had a few .303 cases separate on firing.
I loose track of how many times some cases have been reloaded and then I get one that leaves half the case in the chamber.
So far not a big deal to remove, but it makes me uncomfortable thinking about what could happen.

for sure man!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Wrong Thread

wrong tread
Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Banned

Default Mixed H-1000 with Retumbo

I pulled the bullets on 25 rounds for my 7mm STW. The powder was Retumbo. As I pulled each bullet, I dumped the powder into an empty H-1000 bottle. After bullet pulling was done I noticed that some powder had been spilled while pulling the bullets and I probably didn't have enough powder to reload all 25 rounds again. As I wanted to reload these rounds with H-1000, I opened up a new bottle of H-1000 and dumped a few scoops into the H-1000 bottle with the Retumbo in it to make sure I could reload all 25 rounds again with my planned H-1000 charge.

At this point I still had not realized that I had just mixed H-1000 with Retumbo. I begin my reloading process and filled the hopper of my powder measure with the Retumbo/H-1000 powder mixture. I'm doing my charges into each case when about 10 rounds in I decided to seat some bullets. I look at the MTM ammo box the rounds were in reading the label inside stating the OAL I need to set my die up for. Suddenly I noticed the powder saying "Retumbo." It then hits me that I had dumped H-1000 in with Retumbo.

After banging my head on the wall for a few minutes for making such a stupid error, I dumped all the H-1000/Retumbo mixture back into the empty H-1000 bottle walked into the bathroom with it, poured the powder into the toilet and FLUSH!

I will admit, it was late in the evening when I was doing this and I was rushing to prepare these rounds for the next day. It was my own fault and I was lucky to have caught the error in time.

Last edited by KevGuy; 04-14-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM

I had some 223 I had no more use for so I foolishly decided to use it up in my ar15. The first round shot and the next was jammed so tightly in the chamber I could not remove it. I had high pressure rounds in the bolt action... And not a good combination for the Ar15. Pretty stupid of me

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Default Percussion

I have one of my fathers from many many years ago. He acquired a 1851 navy colt and decided to try it in his basement using cast wax bullets with a reduced charge into a cardboard box. Each time he loaded a cylinder he brushed off the excess black powder into his ashtray.

And yes, you guessed it, he had a nasty surprise once he was done and lit up a cigarette and placed it in the ashtray....
Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM

This guy told me does good reloads and traded 200rounds of his 9mm reloads with a stock I have laying around. Got home and check the rounds and you by that instant that they were all wrong. Brass were not polished and measurements were not right. He didn't bother resizing them and never placed them in a tumbler for cleaning and polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Loading mistakes

Years ago during my market hunting days off the east coast of nfld,I always had 400 to 500 rds of 12ga, reloads in the boat. useing the Mec 500.
I found out alcohol and reloading a bad mix, I was useing 540 and unique powders---I mixed up the loadind bars--never mind the bloody nose, a new semi had to go back to the factory,my friends double had a big splinter off the stock---I cut some shells open to see my mistake, very lucky the guns didnt burst.
That lesson served me well for a life time-----
Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 PM

This thread reminds me of looking over airplane accident reports when I was getting my pilots license. They had an interesting saying. It went something like

"Learn from others mistakes as you cant possibly experience and survive them all yourself"

As it relates to reloading I have been lucky. When I reload I always remind myself I'm one mistake away from missing body parts or worse. Keeps me focused.

Its suppose to be fun so don't take unnecessary risks. Stay safe guys.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 PM

My rule number one: DON'T load if you've been drinking! I had a few one evening last year, and found that when I charged my cases with powder...they seemed to be leaking.

Forgot to prime the cases.....opps.... I mean sh1t!

Oh well, I realized after only 5 or so cases.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:20 PM

i crushed 6 brand new starline 45/70 cases in a row while trying to seat and crimp....
turns out my crimp was too agressive..
Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM

Reloading 20 Gauge shells I once forgot to put in the powder. I targeted a Grouse under an evergreen tree from close range and pulled the trigger.
The plastic wad hit the Grouse square in the head and knocked it out cold.
My buddy didn't hear the primer go off and when he saw me come out with a live Grouse in my arms we all had a good laugh. Well most of us did anyways, sadly the grouse didn't find it amusing in the slightest!
Old 07-02-2019, 01:42 AM

early into reloading i had a significant amount of factory brass stockpiled for 308 so i decided on my first bullet to play with then did my first latter test with 4064. it went horrible grouped like a pie plate at 200. came to realize i used 4 different makes of brass for the test which put them all over the place.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 PM

Had a few boo-boo's but the most embareassing one was taking the kids out shooting teaching my daughter in law how to shoot and when we were done my son and I sat down to shoot a couple gophers...WELL .17 HMR will go bang in a .22WMR ..no damage done other then the bullets went flying in any direction except at the gopher.... always double check the rifle and the round...make sure they match.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Default muzzle loader

had a muzzle loader with a charge in it for a couple years....got it out all right , fired a few primers out doors... all looks good went inside and did some more cleaning of the barrel.. must have knocked lose some packed in powder ,soo decided to fire off one more precussion cap ..indoors… lol well there was a four foot ball of flame came out the barrel lol...it was clean then!
Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 PM

My wife bought me a lee anniversary reloading set for Christmas last year. I went to small lgs ASAP and bought Dies/primers/powder/trimmer for my 30-06. Hornady interlock were the cheapest so went with what they had at 180gr, right before I paid I noticed Hornady interlock 150gr and quickly swapped the boxes. Got home, sized some once fired brass, trimmed measured, primed on a roll. Opened my first box of interlock bullets and grabbed the calipers. .312, grabbed dial calipers, .312. In a hurry before even started I seen 30 caliber and ran. I now make my reloaded rounds a 3 day affair, no rush. Still have 90ish 303 caliber 150grain interlocks if anyone wants. N/C. Pay if need to ship
Old 02-19-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I owe this save to my Chargemaster. Was loading reduced loads for the triple 4 using 10gr of Unique. I had 20 rounds in the loading block but Chargemaster showed 21. Using the digital scale, I easily found the double load. I've since avoided this mistake by not being distracted and switching to Trailboss for all reduced loads.
f yea hate it when you are watching tv then go, did I already dothat?
Old 11-11-2021, 12:30 PM

Went to the range to check the .280 Rem got all setup chambered a round and "click" WTH? pulled back the bolt the cartridge didn't eject, pulled the bolt tipped up the rifle cartridge fell out checked the primer just a light strike then I saw it the head stamp was .270 win. DOH?

All my green MTM boxes are caliber marked with felt pen on both ends not sure how I missed that, lesson learned check everything twice.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:56 AM

Default Scary

Sounds pretty scary. Glad to hear your okay.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
If Cat is willing to put one up then so am I.

A number of years ago I made a classic mistake that was warned about many times. I unknowingly substituted IMR 4831 for H 4831 powder. Didn't blow anything up but got some impressive over pressured cases and a 270 with huge recoil. And same as Cat I could not for the life of me remember at what point I had switched powders so I ended up pulling a bunch of bullets and dumping some powder. All my data showed all the pertinent info EXCEPT when I switched powder cans.
Regards,
Dave.
ive never looked at this thread until today....odd the second one up is my biggest blunder. chronograph was what gave me my first idea i did something wrong