Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Default Your best bow hunting stories

In going along with the 2023 Archery Harvest thread, tell a story about what you feel is your best bow hunting season.

I'll start:

8 or so years ago, I was hunting down on my brother's property in Southern Alberta. Targeting Mule bucks, I wanted to get close in on the action. My brother suggested the night before to go sit in the round hay bales to get a chance at taking a buck.

In the middle of the night (or so it seemed) I quietly snuck out of the camper and down through the creek bottom and back up the other side to where the 35 bales were sitting, gathered in the field. Quietly sneaking through the barbed-wire fence, I settled down at the far north end of the gathered bales, placing my short stool just on the south side of the last bale. It was still very dark with no moonlight, but while peaking above the height of the bale and looking through binoculars several deer sized shapes were out in the hay field. Although I couldn't make out any antlers yet, I knew that if there were Does there was a good chance that a buck could be among them.

Every 5 minutes or so I would stand up and look out into the field again and again, watching the bodies appear better and better with the ever-brightening sky. Now glancing down at my watch, I was beginning to count down the time to legal shooting light. 45 minutes.... 30 minutes.... 20 minutes.... Soon would be the time to either get busted or get busy.

With 15 minutes left until legal shooting light, as I patiently waited, I saw movement to my right (South of me). A Doe had snuck in through the fence where I had come through and was walking through the bales to join in on the fun going on in the field. Freezing everything that could possibly move, she glanced towards me but carried on her way without much concern.

About 2 minutes later, I heard a grunt from the other side of the bale I was beside. The bale moved slightly and within seconds, an antler appeared around the edge of the bale. An ear quickly followed it, then an eye…. A 2x2 Muley had stuck his head around the bale and was now proceeding to sniff my broadhead and arrow. I could’ve reached out and grabbed his nose! At the time, I was thinking “You’re cute, but I need you to move as I’m waiting for your larger cousin.”

It took a couple of minutes for the 2x2 to move off and I never did get a shot at the 4x4. But to this day, after everything I’ve experienced while out bow hunting that was the coolest thing that’s happened. Even though I didn’t spill a drop of blood that season, it remains as my best season of bow hunting since I started this madness in 1996.

J.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:58 PM

Your story reminds me of something that happened to me...

I was working through some timber patches mid-morning in late October, scouting and still hunting. There was snow on the ground and I was decked out in snow camo coveralls. Walking along below the tops of some ridges, I rounded a corner and came upon a couple of smaller Mulie bucks. One was slowly working up the ridge, the other was walking my way on the same trail I was on. I was sure the buck would see me and stop, but he didn't see me standing there and kept coming.
The ground was steep both above and below the trail, but I managed to find a spot to step below the trail as the buck kept coming. Even with that movement he didn't spot me. I had nocked an arrow when I first spotted the deer, but decided to pass these young bucks. As the buck walked right up to me, I had to move my arrow so he could get by! He saw the slight movement, kept coming and sniffed my broadhead! Finding nothing alarming about that, he continued to walk past so close that I could have reached out and petted him. He never did spook as he went by and continued on. Was an ultimate close enounter!
Old 10-02-2023, 01:03 PM

Life long rifle hunter who is new to the game of bow hunting. Cool & frustrating to have a big rutting bull moose broadside and holding up at 80 plus yards and know he will walk away lol.

Best story to date is a robin hood while target practicing. Hopefully more stories will be made.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:09 AM

Default Your best bow hunting stories

"Eight years ago in Southern Alberta, my most memorable bow hunting season unfolded in the pre-dawn darkness among round hay bales. Patiently waiting, a curious 2x2 Muley inspected my broadhead inches away, creating a surreal and unforgettable encounter, even though the elusive 4x4 remained elusive. Though the season ended without blood, the magic of that moment defined my best bow hunting experience since I began in 1996."
Old 10-11-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahMartinez View Post
"Eight years ago in Southern Alberta, my most memorable bow hunting season unfolded in the pre-dawn darkness among round hay bales. Patiently waiting, a curious 2x2 Muley inspected my broadhead inches away, creating a surreal and unforgettable encounter, even though the elusive 4x4 remained elusive. Though the season ended without blood, the magic of that moment defined my best bow hunting experience since I began in 1996."
Hello? AI? Is that you?

J.