Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2023, 01:37 PM

Default Smoky Buck

Hi,

Got a few questions?

1) How did the private operator breed or acquire WD resistant trout?
2) How was the test for resistance accomplished?
3) Where was the testing done?
4) What genetic stock was used if breeding was accomplished?

Don

Last edited by roper1; 07-24-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:36 PM

Working for the next few days but I will see if I can get in contact with the farmer that created the strain. He is retired to Thialand around 10years ago but odds are I can track down his email if he still has ties to people I still know in the industry

I don’t know what method or level of testing was preformed but there was many in the industry standing by the claim. All I know is the strain is a real mutt strain he created over 50 years in the industry

I never worked with his strain myself but I know of the strain only from speaking to him through the association

Good chance someone still has the strain or a blended version. It’s tough to get any new strains into B.C. or at least was so things don’t fade out easily

Either way I will see what I can find
Old 07-23-2023, 01:35 PM

Don so far only word I have is the farmer I was looking for past away and his original farm he sold with his stock no longer exists. It was bought buy an investment group the ran it into the ground and subdivided the property

Still waiting to hear if anyone has the strain
Old 07-25-2023, 08:26 AM

Thanx for spending the time.
It appears like Colorado leads the N. American pack in “doing something”.

Don
Old 07-25-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Thanx for spending the time.
It appears like Colorado leads the N. American pack in “doing something”.

Don
Truth is Canada is a disorganized underfunded mess

A big part of why the US is farther ahead is the Pittman act providing funding for F&W management and projects. Here in Canada if you raise license fees a dollar people complain

If you really want to see change lobby to have all funds generated by outdoorsmen go towards F&W and increase fees after controlling the direction of the money

But you will see major backlash from outdoorsmen because they don’t want to part with a dime but want improvements to our wildlife and fisheries
Old 07-25-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Truth is Canada is a disorganized underfunded mess

A big part of why the US is farther ahead is the Pittman act providing funding for F&W management and projects. Here in Canada if you raise license fees a dollar people complain

If you really want to see change lobby to have all funds generated by outdoorsmen go towards F&W and increase fees after controlling the direction of the money

But you will see major backlash from outdoorsmen because they don’t want to part with a dime but want improvements to our wildlife and fisheries
Many years ago I was part of the AlBerta Fish and Game provincial executive and sat through an agonizing day of the provincial delegates arguing about increasing their membership a whole dollar.
Then I listened when at a Provincial Fisheries Roundtable the present and past executive was in an uproar if a surcharge of $10 was added to the fishing license to deal with invasive fish. . Same old horse**** arguments prefaced by “ our membership would have to eat dog food if this happens”.
These clueless suckers have aided in the destruction of Alberta’s fishery.

Don