Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Default delete

What would be the process for hydrating coyotes pelts (skinned) that have been hanging in my shed for a week (un-fleshed)?

Soak in water for 20 minutes and then place in tough plastic bag overnight and keep cool?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:39 PM

just hang it by the nose with a fan on it. Water and plastic bag will encourage bacteria growth and slippage.

it wont take long to thaw. i usually hang in the evening before bed and can flesh in the morning.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
just hang it by the nose with a fan on it. Water and plastic bag will encourage bacteria growth and slippage.

it wont take long to thaw. i usually hang in the evening before bed and can flesh in the morning.
maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think you read his question properly......i don't have the answer.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM

If they were rolled up fur out thaw out and flesh
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
What would be the process for hydrating coyotes pelts (skinned) that have been hanging in my shed for a week (un-fleshed)?

Soak in water for 20 minutes and then place in tough plastic bag overnight and keep cool?
if it really does need re-hydrating, just use cold water for an hour or so. throw it in a tub with the cold water. dont leave it wet overnight or you could have hair slippage. hydrate only for as long as is needed. a couple hours should do it. the skin under the fat should be fine to flesh without needing re-hydrating even after a week. after fleshing dry the fur as fast as possible. i use a washing machine on spin cycle to wring the fur out. good luck!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:50 PM

What kind of washing machine you use jmparker?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
What kind of washing machine you use jmparker?
just an older top load. nothing special.

delicate cycle with a little shampoo and they come out clean and looking great. dont take too long to dry after the spin cycle too
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think you read his question properly......i don't have the answer.

I think the question just has some miss-used terminology. Re-hydrating from my understanding is when you take a properly dried pelt and immerse it in a solution to before you pickle or tan.

I assumed he meant frozen. I wouldn't use water, its not necessary unless the pelt is dirty or bloody and even then I would wash after fleshing. A fan and a bit of time then flesh as normal.

If the edges of the pelt are dried and wrinkled from being hung in the cold for the last week and not rolled up like pikeslayer mentioned, then it is freezer burnt and I am not sure if that can be fixed. I would probably cut off the dried edge and put up as normal.

Maybe I am wrong
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Banned

Flesh it like you would normally and leave any dried areas alone. Wash it as you normally would and the dried areas will be rehydrated. Board it and you can remove any remaining membrane if you want.