Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Need Help With Battle River Fishing

Hi, some friends and I are planning to fish the Battle River this may long weekend by Big Knife Provincial park. I have never fished there before. I'm fairly new to river fishing and have had very minimal success with it.

We will be fishing from shore and I was wondering what kind of fish can we expect to catch? What rigs, lures or baits would work this time of year? I'm not looking to target a specific species just looking to catch as much fish as possible.

I will be bringing a first time fisher out there as well and want her to have a good experience. I'm just looking for some rig ideas that will appeal to as many fish and species as possible.

I was thinking of trying a minnow on a floating jig head with a weight about two feet ahead and see what bites? I have no idea what to use for river fishing, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM

ttt
Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 AM

I took the Zodiac out there once, fished on the otherside of the road towards the power plant. The fish weren't jumping into the boat by no means, but i think it has a lot of potential to produce large pike. If your fishing from shore at the park i would just rip spinners #5 Mepps Aglia's, keep in on the surface its very weedy there.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 PM

While some people swear by using minnows etc, all I ever use from shore is spoons. Always had luck with the trusty red and white Len Thompson. I grew up fishing there catching jackfish and walleye.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Has anyone tried near wainright, battle river flows past the riverdale campground area.